- Volume 9 Issue 2
During carcinogenesis, precancers (premalignant lesions) are the morphologically identifiable lesions that precede invasive cancers. In theory, the successful treatment of precancers would result in the eradication of most human cancers. Despite the importance of these lesions, there has been no effort to list and classify all of the precancers. In 2001, the NCI sponsored a workshop on the classification of precancers. When considering all the possible classes of precancers, it is worth noting that not all precancers are neoplastic. In fact, precancers need not progress to cancer, and precancerous lesions often have a high rate of regression. Thus, the following five classes were adopted: 1) acquired microscopic precancers; 2) acquired large lesions with microscopic atypia; 3) Precursor lesions occurring with inherited hyperplastic syndromes that progress to cancer; 4) acquired diffuse hyperplasias and diffuse metaplasias; and 5) currently unclassified entities. In this review paper, precancerous lesions of the stomach are classified and their clinical significance is described.
- Berman JJ, Albores-Saavedra J, Bostwick D, Delellis R, Eble J, Hamilton SR, Hruban RH, Mutter GL, Page D, Rohan T, et al. Precancer: a conceptual working definition -- results of a Consensus Conference. Cancer Detect Prev 2006;30:387-394. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2006.09.002
- Yamagata S, Hisamichi S. Precancerous lesions of the stomach. World J Surg 1979;3:671-673. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01654785
- Morson BC, Sobin LH, Grundmann E, Johansen A, Nagayo T, Serck-Hanssen A. Precancerous conditions and epithelial dysplasia in the stomach. J Clin Pathol 1980;33:711-721. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.33.8.711
- Mita T, Shimoda T. Risk factors for lymph node metastasis of submucosal invasive differentiated type gastric carcinoma: clinical significance of histological heterogeneity. J Gastroenterol 2001;36:661-668. https://doi.org/10.1007/s005350170028
- Takagi H, Jhappan C, Sharp R, Merlino G. Hypertrophic gastropathy resembling Menetrier's disease in transgenic mice overexpressing transforming growth factor alpha in the stomach. J Clin Invest 1992;90:1161-1167. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI115936
- Onoda N, Maeda K, Sawada T, Wakasa K, Arakawa T, Chung KH. Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection in gastric remnant after distal gastrectomy for primary gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 2001;4:87-92. https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00011729
- Seoane A, Bessa X, Alameda F, Munné A, Gallen M, Navarro S, O'Callaghan E, Panadès A, Andreu M, Bory F. Role of Helicobacter pylori in stomach cancer after partial gastrectomy for benign ulcer disease. Rev Esp Enferm Dig 2005;97: 778-785.
- Hori T, Tabata M, Iida T, Taniguchi K, Yagi S, Mizuno S, Yokoi H, Isaji S, Uemoto S, Kato Y. A case report of advanced gastric remnant cancer treated with extended resection accompanied with reconstructions of the portal vein and the hepatic artery with resultant disease free survival for one year and eight months. Nippon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi 2005;102:190-195.
- Matsui N, Yao T, Akazawa K, Nawata H, Tsuneyoshi M. Different characteristics of carcinoma in the gastric remnant: histochemical and immunohistochemical studies. Oncol Rep 2001;8:17-26.
- Lauwers GY, Srivastava A. Gastric preneoplastic lesions and epithelial dysplasia. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2007;36:813-829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gtc.2007.08.008
- Cassaro M, Rugge M, Gutierrez O, Leandro G, Graham DY, Genta RM. Topographic patterns of intestinal metaplasia and gastric cancer. Am J Gastroenterol 2000;95:1431-1438. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2000.02074.x
- Correa P, Shiao YH. Phenotypic and genotypic events in gastric carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 1994;54(suppl 7):1941s-1943s.