- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
RESULTS OF THERMAL CREEP TEST ON HIGHLY IRRADIATED ZIRLO
- Quecedo, M. (ENUSA Industrias Avanzadas SA) ;
- Lloret, M. (ENUSA Industrias Avanzadas SA) ;
- Conde, J.M. (Consejo de Seguridad Nuclear) ;
- Alejano, C. (Consejo de Seguridad Nuclear) ;
- Gago, J.A. (ENRESA) ;
- Fernandez, F.J. (ENRESA)
- Published : 2009.03.30
This paper presents a thermal creep test under internal pressure and post-test characterization performed on high burnup (68 MWd/kgU) ZIRLO. This research has been done by the CSN, ENRESA, and ENUSA in order to investigate the behavior of advanced cladding materials in contemporary PWRs at higher burnup under dry cask storage conditions. Also, to investigate the hydride reorientation, the cool-down of the samples after the test has been done in a coordinated manner with the internal pressure. The creep results obtained are consistent with the expected behavior from reference CWSR material, Zr-4. During the test, the material retained significant ductility: one specimen leaked during the test at an engineering strain of the tube section of 17%; remarkably, the crack closed due to de-pressurization. Although significant hydride reorientation occurred during the cool-down under pressure, no specimen failed during the cool-down.
- J.E. MARTÍNEZ and J. A. Gago, "An Update on Spent Fuel and HLW Management in Spain" Proc. of the Storage of Spent Fuel from Power Reactors. 2003 Conference, Paper IAEA-CN-102/44, Conference & Symposium Papers 20/P, IAEA, Vienna (2003).
- W. GOLL, H. Spilker and E.H. Toscano, "Short-time Creep and Rupture Tests on High Burnup Fuel Rod Cladding" J. Nuc. Mat. 289, 247, (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3115(01)00438-X
- C. CAPPELAERE, R. Limon, T. Bredel, P. Herter and D. Gilbon, "Long Term Behavior of the Spent Fuel Cladding in Dry Storage Conditions", Proc. Int. Conf. on Environmental Management, ICEM 2001 Conference, pp. 188-194, Bruges, Oct. 2001.
- P. BOUFFIOUX, S. Leclercq, C. Cappelaere and T. Bredel "Interim Dry Storage of PWR Fuel Assemblies-Development of a Long Term Law to Assess the Fuel Rod Cladding Integrity", Proc. Int. Conf. on Environmental Management, ICEM 2001 Conference, pp. 195-200, Bruges, Oct. 2001.
- J. RASHID and A. Machiels, "Creep as the Governing Mechanism of Spent Fuel in Dry Storage", Proc. Int. Conf. on Environmental Management, ICEM 2001 Conference, pp. 201-206, Bruges, Oct. 2001.
- H. TSAI and M. Billone, "Thermal Creep of Irradiated Zircaloy Cladding", Journal of ASTM International, Vol. 3, No. 1, Paper ID JAI12425. https://doi.org/10.1520/JAI12425
- K. ITO, K. Kamimura,Y. Tsukuda, "Evaluation of Irradiation Effect on Spent Fuel Cladding Creep Properties" Proc. of the 2004 Int. Meeting on LWR Fuel Performance, Orlando (Florida), Paper 1117.
- US NRC Spent Fuel Office Interim Staff Guidance-11, Revision 3, November 2003.
- H. PEEHS, F. Garzarolli, W. Goll, "Assessment of Dry Storage Performance of Spent LWR Fuel Assemblies with Increasing Burnup", in IAEA-TECDOC-1089, pp. 313-324. IAEA, Vienna (1999).
- J.M. CONDE, C. Alejano and J.M. Rey, "Nuclear Research Activities of the Consejo de Seguridad Nuclear", Proc. of the 2006 Int. Meeting on LWR Fuel Performance, Salamanca (Spain), p. 107.
- J.M. ALONSO, J.M. Conde, J.A. Gago, P. González, M. Novo and L. Herranz, "Spanish R&D Program on Spent Fuel Dry Storage", Proc. of the 2006 Int. Meeting on LWR Fuel Performance, Salamanca (Spain), p. 213.
- H-U. ZWICKY, J. Low, J. Kierkegaard, D. Schrire and M. Quecedo, "Isotopic Analysis of Irradiated Fuel Samples in the Studsvik Hotcell Laboratory", Proc. of the 2004 Int. Meeting on LWR Fuel Performance, Orlando (Florida), Paper 1104.
- S. WATANABE, S. Abeta, J.J. Serna, J.M. Alonso, T. Sendo and P. González, "Post irradiation examinations on 67-75 GWd/tU rods for confirmation of the rod integrity and appropriate performance of the claddings for the future", Proc. of the 2005 Water Reactor Fuel Performance Meeting, Kyoto (Japan), Paper 1057.
- J.J. SERNA, P. Tolonen, S. Abeta, S. Watanabe, Y. Kosaka, T. Sendo and P. González, "Experimental observations on fuel pellet performance at high burnup", Proc. of the 2005 Water Reactor Fuel Performance Meeting, Kyoto (Japan), Paper 1069.
- D. SCHRIRE and J.H. Pearce, "Scanning Electron Microscope Technique for Studying Zircaloy Corrosion and Hydriding", Zirconium in the Nuclear Industry : Tenth Int. Symposium. ASTM STP 1245, pp. 98-115, Philadelphia (1994).
- A-M. ALVAREZ-HOLSTON, G. Lysell and V. Grigoriev, "Studies of hydrogen assisted failures initiating at the cladding outer surface of high burn-up fuel using a modified Ring Tensile Technique", Proc. of the 2007 International LWR Fuel Performance Meeting, San Francisco, (California), 2007, Paper 1069.