- Volume 9 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Understanding Personal and Cultural Factors on the Level of UCC Participation: Centered on Korea and U.S.A
UCC 사용자 참여수준과 개인적 및 문화적 특성 요인과의 관계 - 한국과 미국을 중심으로 -
- Published : 2009.02.28
The purpose of this paper is to examine the ethical implications in UCC participation. This paper aimed at examining the advent of UCC as a critical media tool in interactive two-way communication and the effect of ethical questions on the level of UCC participation. The findings show that uncertainty avoidance gives an positive and significant effect on privacy concern and regulatory preference, but it is not related to copyright invasion in Korea and U.S.A. It is shown that privacy concern does not influence on UCC retrieval in Korea whereas it is positively related to UCC retrieval in the United States. Also, privacy concern has not relationship with UCC production(modification, recreation, generation) in both nations. In the case of regulatory preference, it posits an significant and positive effect on UCC retrieval in Korea while it is not related to UCC retrieval in the United States. Also, regulatory preference does not affect on UCC production in Korea whereas it influences on UCC generation without impacting UCC modification and recreation in U.S.A. Finally, the results show that copyright invasion has stronger relationship with UCC recreation and generation than UCC modification, and it is positively related to UCC retrieval in both nations.
- 강병서, 사회과학통계분석, 한라래, 서울, 2007.
- 천홍말, 윤종수, "Web2.0과 UCC: 진화성향과 전략적 시사점", 한국컴퓨터정보학회 2007하계학술발표논문집 & 학회지, 제15권, 1호, pp.91-98,2007.
- A. S. Tracy, S. W. Kopp and D. M. Hardsty, "The Relationship between General Ethical Judgment and Copying Behavior at Work," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.55, No.1, pp.61-70, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-004-1779-z
- B. W. Dearstyne, "Oh, my!," Information Management Journal, Vol.41, No.4, pp.25-33, 2007.
- C. Park and J. K. Jun, "A Cross-Cultural Comparison of Internet Buying Behavior- Effects of Internet Usage, Perceived Risks and Innovativeness," International Marketing Review, Vol.20, No.5, pp.534-553, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1108/02651330310498771
- D. Nilsson, "A Cross-cultural Comparison of Self-service Technology Use," European Journal of Marketing, Vol.41, No.3, pp.367-381, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560710728381
- D. W. Straub, "The Effect of Culture on IT Diffusion: E-Mail and FAX in Japan and the U.S., Information Systems Research, Vol.5, No.1, pp.23-47, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.5.1.23
- E. Schipul, "The Web's Next Generation: Web2.0," Public Relations, Vol.13, No.3, p.23, 2006.
- E. A. Rose, "An examination of the Concern for Information Privacy in the New Zealand Regulatory Context," Information & Management, Vol.43, pp.322-335, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2005.08.002
- E. F. Stone, D. G. Gardner, H. G. Guetal and S. McClure, "A Field Experiment Comparing Information-Privacy Values, Beliefs and Attitudes across Several Types of Organization," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.68, No.3, pp.459-468, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.68.3.459
- E. M. Caudill, and P. E. Murphy, "Consumer Online Privacy: Legal and Ethical Issues," Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, Vol.19, No.1, pp.7-19, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1509/jppm.184.108.40.20651
- G. Hofstede and M. Bond, "The Confucius Connection: from Cultural Roots to Economic Growth," Organizational Dynamics, Vol.16, No.4, pp.5-21, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(88)90009-5
- G. Hofstede, Culture's Consequences: Int'l Differences in Work-related Values, Sage Publications, Beverly Hills, CA, 1990.
- H. J. Smith, S. J. Milberg and S. J. Burke, "Information Privacy: Measuring Individuals’ Concerns about Organizational Practices," MIS Quarterly, Vol.20, No.2, pp.167-196, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/249477
- H. M. Choi., J. K. Choi, and H. Yu, "An Empirical Study on the Adoption of Information Appliances with a Focus on Interactive TV," Telematics and Informatics, Vol.20, No.20, pp.161-183, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0736-5853(02)00024-2
- Hagel, J.III. and Armstrong, A. G., Net Gain: Expanding Market Through Virtual Communities, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, 1997.
- J. Kang, "Information Privacy in Cyberspace Transactions," Stanford Law Review, Vol.50, pp.1193-1294, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/1229286
- J. Wirtz, M. Lwin. and J. Williams, "Causes and Consequences of Consumer Online Privacy Concern," International Journal of Service Industry Management, Vol.18, No.4, pp.326-348, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564230710778128
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, R. E. Anderson and R. L. Tatham, Multi-variate Data Analysis, 6th ed., Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson, 2006.
- K. Davis, W. C. Frederick, and R. L. Blomstrom, Business and Society, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1990.
- K. H. Lim, K. Leung, C. L. Sia, and M. K. Lee, 'Is e-Commerce Boundary-less? Effects of Individualism-Collectivism and Uncertainty Avoidance on Internet Shopping," Journal of International Business Studies, Vol.35, No.6, pp.545-559, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400104
- L. Lazar, "Creating Enterprise2.0 from Web2.0," Business Communications Review, Vol.37, No.8, pp.14-16, 2007.
- L. Sama, L. and V. Shoaf, "Ethics on the Web: Applying Moral Decision-Making to the New Media," Journal of Business Ethic, Vol.36, pp.93-103, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1014296128397
- L. A. Jackson, Y. Zhao, Q. W. Kolenic III, H. E. Fitzgerald, R. Harold and A. Von Eye, "Morality in cyberspace: A comparison of Chinese and U.S. youth's beliefs about acceptable online behavior," Proceedings of the 41st Hawaii International Conference (HICSS) on System Sciences, pp.1530-1605, 2008.
- L. F. Cranor, J. Reagle, and M. S. Ackerman, "Beyond Concern: Understanding Net Users' Attitudes about Online Privacy," AT&T Labs-Research Technical Report, 1999(4).
- M. Calkins, "Rippers, Portal Users, and Profilers: Three Web-based Issues for Business Ethicists," Business and Society Review Vol.107, No.1, pp.61-75, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/0045-3609.00127
- M. Lwin and J. Williams, "A Model Integrating the Multidimensional Developmental Theory of Privacy and Theory of Planned Behavior to Examine Fabrication of Information Online," Marketing Letters, Vol.14, No.4, pp.257-272, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:MARK.0000012471.31858.e5
- M. J. Culnan, "How Did They Get My Name?: An Exploratory Investigation of Consumer Attitudes toward Secondary Information Use," MIS Quarterly, Vol.17, pp.341-363, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/249775
- M. W. Browne and R. Cudeck, "Alternative Ways of Assessing Model Fit," In: Bollen, KA & Long, JS (Eds.) Testing Structural Equation Models, 1983, pp.136.162. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- P. Evans and T. Wurster, Blown to Bits: How the New Economics of Information Transforms Strategy, Boston M.A.: Harvard Busienss School Press, 2000.
- P. C. Patterson and K. Prasongsukarn, "Service Failure Recovery: The Moderating Impact of Individual-level Cultural Value Orientation on Perceptions of Justice," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol.23, No.3, pp.263-277, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2006.02.004
- R. Karpinski, "Measuring Relationships," B to B, Vol.92, No.3, 2007(3).
- R. T. Herschel and P. H. Andrews, "Ethical Implications of Technological Advances on Business Communication," Journal of Business Communication , Vol.34, No.2, pp.160-170, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1177/002194369703400203
- S. G. Beatty, "Consumer Privacy on Internet Goes Public," The Wall Street Journal, 1996(2).
- S. H. T. Thompson, "Demographic and Motivation Variables Associated with Internet Usage Activities," Internet Research, Vol.11, No.2, p.125, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1108/10662240110695089
- S. J. Milberg, H. J. Smith and S. J. Burke, "Information Privacy: Corporate Management and National Regulation," Organization Science, Vol.11, No.1, pp.35-57, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.220.127.116.1167
- S. X. Zhang, L. Olfman, and P. Ractham, "Designing e-Portfolio 2.0: Integrating and Coordinating Web 2.0 Services with ePortfolio Systems for Enhancing Users' Learning," Journal of Information Systems Education, Vol.18, No.2, pp.203-214, 2007.
- T. O'Reilly, "What is Web2.0 Design Pattern and Business Model for the Next Generation of Software," Conference Web2.0 [Online Available], 2005.
- U. Averweg, "Towards a Code of Cyberethics," Journal of Community Informatics, Vol.1, No.2, pp.116-133, 2005.
- http:/www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf (DMCA, Digital Millennium Copyright Act)
- http://www.nida.org(National Internet Development Agency of Korea).
- P. Anderson, "What is Web 2.0? Ideas, Technologies and Implications for Education," Joint Information Systems Committee, Retrieved from http://www.jisc.ac.ukmedia/ documents/techwatch/tsw0701b.pdf, 2007.