- Volume 15 Issue 1
Effects of Infant Massage on Physical Growth and Stress Response in Preterm Babies
아기마사지가 미숙아의 신체성장과 스트레스 반응에 미치는 영향
- Cheung, Nam-Youn (School of Nursing, Eulji University) ;
- Song, Young-Shin (Nursing Education, Eulji University Hospital)
- Published : 2009.01.31
Purpose: This study was done to investigate the effects of an infant massage on physical growth and stress response in preterm babies. Method: A nonequivalent control group with pre-posttest design was used with 56 preterm babies in the NICU of E medical center at Daejeon. Data were collected from July 2004 to May 2005. The intervention was given for 15 minutes, once a day for 7 days. Physical growth was measured by weight, length, head circumference, and stress response was measured by serum cortisol level. Mean, %, paired-test, t-test with the SPSS/W in 16.0 program were used to analyze the data. Results: After the intervention, physical growth variables (weight, length, head circumference) in experimental group were higher than that of the control group. Also, the serum cortisol level in the experimental group was lower than that of the control group. But none of these results were not statistically significant. Conclusion: The results of this study suggest that a 7-day intervention period may not be long enough to confirm the effects of infant massage on physical growth and stress reaction. Therefore it is suggested that a longer period of infant massage should be tested to determine if it is effective in improving the physical growth and stress reduction in preterm babies.
- Acolet D., Modi, N., Giannakoulopoulos, X., Bond, C., Weg, W., Clow, A., & Glover, V. (1993). Changes in plasma cortisol and catecholamine concentrations in response to massage in preterm infant. Arch Dis Child, 68, 29-31. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.68.1_Spec_No.29
- Als, H., Duffy, F. H., & McAnulty, G. B. (1996) Effectiveness of individualized neurodevelopmental care in the newborn intensive care unit (NICU). Acta Paediatr (Supp.), 416, 21-30.
- Als, H., Lawhon, G., Brown, E., & Giebes, R. (1986). Individualized behavioral and environmental care for very low birth weight infant. Pediatr, 78(6), 1123-1132.
- Barker, D. P., & Rutter, N. (1996). Stress, severity of illness and outcome in ventilated preterm infants. Arch Dis Child, 75, 187-190. https://doi.org/10.1136/fn.75.3.F187
- Blackburn, S. (1998). Environmental Impact of the NICU on developmental outcomes. J Pediatr Nurs, 13(5), 279-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0882-5963(98)80013-4
- Burns, K., Cunningham, N., White-Traut, R. C., Silvestri, J. M., & Nelson, M. N. (1993). Modification of an infant stimulation protocol based on physiologic and behavioral responses. J Obstetr Gynecol Neonat Nurs, 23(7), 581-589.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Field, T. M. (1997). Regional "Touch" training program. Paper presented at the meeting of the Manila, Philippines.
- Field, T. M., Grizzle, N., Scafidi, F., Abrams, S., & Richardson, S. (1996). Massage therapy for infants of depressed mothers. Infant Behav Develop, 19, 107-112.
- Gandevia, S. C., Refshauge, K. M., & Collins, D. F. (2002). Proprioception: Peripheral inputs and perceptual interactions. Adv Exp Med Biol, 508, 61-8.
- Harrison, L. L., Olivet, L., Cunningham, K., Bodin, M. B., & Hicks, C. (1996). Effects of gentle human touch on preterm infants: Pilot study results. Neonatal Network, 15, 35-42.
- Kang, J. S. (1998). Effect of infant massage on body weight change. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, H. S. (1996). The effect of sensory integration program for low-birth-weight infants on growth index, behavior state and physiologic response change. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Women's University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. Y. (2004). Effect of massage program on premature infants' growth and on the mothering role confidence and satisfaction. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chonnam University, Kwangju.
- Kim, M. S. (2000). Effects of a sensory stimulation on weight and behavioral state, in premature infants. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, M. Y., Gu, H. Y., Kwon, I. S., Kim, S. O., Kim, T. I., Oh, W. O., Yoon, H. O., Lee, S. Y., Jung, S. E., & Cho, G. C. (2007). Growth and development of infants and children and nursing. Seoul: Koonja Publishing Co.
- Kim, M. Y., & Kim, S. H. (2000). Effects of the massage therapy on weight, stress hormone and mother-infant interaction. Kor Parent-Child Health J, 3(1), 1-14.
- Kim, Y. H., Choi, S. Y., Jeong, K. S., Park, H. K., & Lee, D. W. (1999). Effects of the infant massage on body weight, vital signs and stress hormone of preterm baby. Kor Parent-Child Health J, 2, 30-50.
- Kook, J. H., Kim, S. H., Kim, M. J., Song, E. S., & Choi, Y. Y. (2007). The changes of rate and mortality of low birth weight infants and its relating factors-Past 25 years in Chonnam University Hospital. Chonnam Med J, 43(3), 181-190.
- Lee, G. J. (1999). Effect of sensory stimulation on weight, stress hormone and behavioral state in premature infants. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyunghee University, Seoul.
- Onozawa, K., Glover, V., Adams, D., Modi, N., & Kumar, R. (2001). Infant massage improves mother-infant interaction for mothers with postnatal depression. J Affect Disord, 63, 201-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-0327(00)00198-1
- Pagana, K. D., & Pagana, T. J. (2006). Mosby's manual of diagnostic and laboratory tests(3rd ed.). St. Louis: Mosby.
- Son, H. S., Lim, J. W., Choi, k. C., Na, C. S., & Kim, H. H. (2000). The effect of massage on premature infants. J Korean Pediatr Soci, 43(8), 1046-1051.
- Song, H. S., & Shin, H. S. (2001). Effects of a sensory stimulation on weight gain, behavioral state, and physiological responses in premature infants. J Korean Acad Nurs, 31(4), 703-711. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.4.703
- Uvnas-Moberg, K., Widstrom, A. M., Marchini, G., & Winberg, J. (1987). Release of GI hormones in mother and infant by sensory stimulation. Acta Paediatr Scandin, 76, 851-860. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.1987.tb17254.x
- Vickers, A., Ohlsson, A., Lacy, J. B., & Horsley, A. (2000). Massage therapy for preterm and/or low birth-weight infants (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 2, Oxford: Update Software.
- White-Traut, R. C., & Nelson, M. N. (1988). Maternally administered tactile, auditory, visual and vestibular stimulation: Relationship to later interactions between mother and premature infants. Res Nurs Health, 11, 31-39. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770110106
- White-Traut, R. C., & Tubeszewski, K. A. (1986). Multimodal stimulation of the premature infant. J Pediatr Nurs, 2, 90-95.