- Volume 11 Issue 4
Conservation Philosophy and Principles for Traditional East Asian Architecture
동아시아 전통건축의 보전철학과 원리
- Chung, Seung-Jin ;
- Kim, Chang-Sung
- 정승진 (협성대학교 건축공학과) ;
- 김창성 (협성대학교 건축공학과)
- Received : 2009.10.10
- Accepted : 2009.11.01
- Published : 2009.11.25
The modern philosophy of historic conservation focuses on the permanence of the material aspects of monuments as historic evidence of the artistic achievement of the past. However, so strongly are European attitudes to architecture and its conservation embedded in modern conservation, that it has skewed all conservation thinking towards the concept of the European-type monument which emphasizes visual beauty through its material substance. Thus, some basic ideas of modern conservation seem ill-suited to East Asian architecture which is conceived in a different spirit from its European counterpart. The purposes of the paper are to discuss the need for approaches which are different from the modern Western view of conservation for East Asian architectural heritage, and to make suggestions for developing conservation principles more suited to the unique values and aesthetic sense of East Asian culture and architecture. Conservation principles in the East Asian societies are determined in relation to the spiritual and naturalistic sensibilities of East Asian culture and architecture.
- Agrawal, O. P., 'An Asian View of Conservation', Museum, Vol. 27 No. 4, 1975, pp.157-160
- Australia ICOMOS, The Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance(The Burra Charter), 1979
- Binyon, Laurence, The Spirit of Man in Asian Art, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, 1965.
- Boerschmann, Ernst, 'Chinese Architecture and Its Relation to Chinese Culture', Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution, 1911, pp.539-567
- Brooks, Graham, 'The Burra Charter: Australia's Methodology for Conserving Cultural Heritage', Places, Vol 8 No 1, 1992. pp.84-88
- Chen, Charles, 'Chinese Architectural Theory', The Architectural Review, July 1947. pp.19-25
- Fong, Wen C., Images of the Mind, Princeton University Press, New Jersy, 1984.
- ICOMOS, International Charter for the Conservation and Restoration of Monuments and Sites (The Venice Charter), 1964.
- ICOMOS, Athens Charter for the Restoration of Historic Monument (The Athens Charter), 1931
- ICOMOS, The Nara Document on Authenticity, 1994
- Kain, Roger (ed), Planning for Conservation, Mansell Publishing, London, 1981.
- Lancaster, Clay, 'Metaphysical Beliefs and Architectural Principles', The Journal of Aesthetic & Art Criticism, Vol 16 No 3, 1956.
- Lewis, Miles, 'Conservation: A Regional Point of View' in: Max Bourke, Miles Lewis, Bal Saini (eds), Protecting the Past for the Future, Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra, 1983.
- Oliver, Paul, 'Cultural Issues in Conservation Implementation'.in: R. Zetter (ed), Conservation of Buildings in Developing Countries, Working Paper, No. 60, Oxford Polytechnic Department of Town Planning, 1982, pp.2-13
- Onda, Akira, 'Comparison between the Occidental and Oriental Ways of Thinking', Comparative Research on Philosophy, No.6, December 1979: Liu Jingshan. 'A Comparison between the Chinese and Western Models of Philosophy, International Social Journal, Vol.39, May 1987
- Ruskin, John, The Seven Lamps of Architecture, George Allen, Kent, 1886.
- UNESCO, The Hoi An Protocols for Best Conservation Practice in Asia, 2000
- Wei, Chen and Aass, Andreas, 'Heritage Conservation: East and West', ICOMOS Information, No. 3, 1989, pp.3-8
- Wheatley, Paul, 'The Ancient Chinese City as a Cosmological Symbol', Ekistics, No. 232, March 1975, pp.138-158
- 김성우, '동양건축에서의 집과 사람', 공간, 1987년 7월, pp.51-55
- 김성우, '관념 - 상황, 동서양의 세계관과 건축관", 'C3 Korea', 191호, 2000.
- 민주식, '동아시아 예술에서 자연주의 미학', 미학, 1992년, 12월, pp.167-176
- 성인수, '후기근대건축의 수용과 괴리', 한국건축사학회 세미나, 1995년 9월 16일
- 안동만, '역사도시에서의 역사경관 보전방안', 도시문제, Vol,28, No. 301, 1993년, 12월, pp.20-35.
- 이강훈, '한국건축에 있어서의 음양공간의 질서, 서울대 박사학위 논문, 1989
- 이석호외(역), 중국의 과학과 문명(II), 을유문화사, 1986
- 이상해, '송대 이학사상을 통하여 본 전통건축의 구성방법 및 공간적 특질에 관한 연구', 성균관대학교 논문집, Vol.38 No.2, 1987, pp.387-403
- 이상해, '역사문화환경의 생태학'; 김홍식외, 문화 환경보전과 건축, 발언, 1993, pp.263-300
- 최현각외, 법주사, 대원사, 서울, 2001