- Volume 19 Issue 4
The Retrospective Study on the Correlation between the Multifidus Muscle Atrophy on Low Back Pain Patients and the Magnetic Resonance Images
자기공명영상 (Magnetic Resonance Image)을 통한 요통 환자의 다열근 위축에 대한 후향적 연구
- Lee, Kil-Joon (Dept. of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Oriental Medicine, Dong-Guk University) ;
- Park, Young-Hoi (Dept. of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Oriental Medicine, Dong-Guk University) ;
- Keum, Dong-Ho (Dept. of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Oriental Medicine, Dong-Guk University)
- 이길준 (동국대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 박영회 (동국대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 금동호 (동국대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실)
- Received : 2009.09.15
- Accepted : 2009.10.14
- Published : 2009.10.31
Objectives : In the assessment of the lumbar spine by magnetic resonance imaging (hereinafter, "MRI"), changes in the paraspinal muscles are overlooked. The purpose of our study is to examine the correlation between the multifidus muscle atrophy on MRI findings and the clinical findings in low back pain (hereinafter, "LBP") patients. Methods : The retrospective study on 38 LBP patients, presenting either with or without associated leg pains, was undertaken. The MRI findings on the patients were visually analysed to find out a lumbar multifidus muscle atrophy, disc herniation, disc degeneration, spinal stenosis and nerve root compressions. The clinical history in each case was obtained from their case notes and pain drawing charts. Results : The lumbar multifidus muscle atrophy has occurred from more than 80% of the patients with LBP. Most of lumbar multifidus muscle atrophies have increased from lower level of lumbar spine. It was bilateral in the majority of the cases. In addition, multifidus muscle atrophy was correlated to the patient's age, disc degenerations and spinal stenosis. On the contrary, gender, the duration of LBP, referred leg pain, disc herniation and nerve root compressions had no relevance to multifidus muscle atrophies. Therefore, when assessing the MRIs of the lumbar spine, we should have more attetion on multifidus muscle, because it has lot's of information about spinal neuropathy problems. Conclusions : Therefore, the examination of multifidus muscle atrophies should be considered when assessing the MRIs of the lumbar spine. In addition, it helps to evaluate and plan the treatment modalities of LBP. Moreover, it prevents from LBP by discovering the importance between the multifidus muscle and the spine stabilization exercise.
Low back pain;Lumbar multifidus;Magnetic resonance image;Muscular atrophy
- 이원제. 6주간의 Sling운동과 Medx운동이 만성요통환자의 요부근력 안정화에 미치는 영향. 한국체육학회지. 2005;44(5):485.
- 안수기, 이삼로, 양유선. 화타협척혈에 대한 문헌적 고찰. 대한침구학회지. 2000;17(4):139-48.
- Kader DF, Wardlow D, Smith FW. Correlation between the MRIchanges in the lumbar multifidus muscle and leg pain. Clinical Radiology. 2000;55:145-9. https://doi.org/10.1053/crad.1999.0340
- Cooper RG, St Clair Forbes W, Jayson MI. Radiographic demonstration of paraspinal muscle wasting in patients with chronic low backpain. Br J Rheumatol. 1992;31:389-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/31.6.389
- Liebenson Craig. Rehabilitation of the spine. Lippincott Willams& Wilkins. 2006;31(25): 2926-33.
- Panjabi M. The stabilizing system of the spine. I Function, dysfunction, adaptation and enhancement. J Spinal Disorder. 1992;5 :383-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002517-199212000-00001
- Lamminen AE. Magnetic resonance imaging of primary skeletal muscle disease; patterns of distribution and severity of involvement. Br J Radiol. 1990;63:946-50. https://doi.org/10.1259/0007-1285-63-756-946
- Anthoney H.W. Diagnosis and management of low back pain and sciatica. Am Fam Physician. 1995;52:1333-41.
- Kellgren JH. Observation on referred pain arisingfrom muscle. Clin Sci. 1938;3:175-90.
- Mattila M, Hurme M, Alaranta H, Paljarvi L, Kalimo H, Falck B, Lehto M, Einola S, Jarvinen M. The multifidus muscle in patients with lumbar disc herniation: a histochemical and morphometric analysis of intraoperative biopsies. Spine. 1986:11:732-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198609000-00013
- C Chan Gunn. Gunn의 접근법에 의한 만성통증의 치료. 서울:군자출판사. 1998:6-30.
- Louto S, Aalto H, Taimela S. One-footed and externally disturbed two-footed posture control in patients with chronic low back pain and healthy control subjects. Spine. 1998;23(19):2081-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199810010-00008
- 許浚. 東醫寶鑑. 서울:法仁文化社. 1999:710.
- Hides J.A. ,Richardson C.A., Jull G.A. Multifidus recovery is not automatic following resolution of acute, first-episode of low backpain. Spine. 2006;21(23):2764-69.
- Donald A. Neumann. Kinesiology of the musculoskeletal system. 서울:정담미디어. 2002:491.
- Hides JA, Stokes MJ, Saide M, Saide M, Jull GA, Cooper DH. Evidence of lumbar multifidus muscle wasting ipsilateral to symptomsin patients with acute / subacute low backpain. Spine. 1994;19:165-72. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199401001-00009
- 임병훈. 요통의 내과적 치료. 대한의학협회지. 1992;35(8):946-50.
- Bogduk N. Lumbar Dorsal Ramus Syndrome. Med J Aust. 1989;15:537-41.
- Bogduk N, Twomey LT. Clinical Anatomy of the Lumbar Spine. 2nd edition .Melbourne PA:Churchill Livingstone. 1991;86-9.
- 장기현, 김인원, 한문희. 신경방사선과학 제1판. 서울:일조각. 2000:581-605.
- Parkkola R, Rytokoski U, Kormano M. Magnetic resonance imaging of the discsand trunk muscles in pationts with chronic low back pain and healthy controlsubjects. Spine. 1993;18:830-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199306000-00004
- Danneels LA, Vanderstraeten GG, Cambier DC, Witvrouw EE, De Cuyper Hugo J. CT imaging of trunk musclesin chronic low back pain patients and healthy control subjects. Eur Spine J. 2000;9:266-72. https://doi.org/10.1007/s005860000190
- 최용태. 침구과 영역에 있어서 요통증의 치료효과에 관한 임상적 연구. 경희대학교 30주년 기념논문집. 1979:883-902.
- 대한임상통증학회. 근골격계 통증의학II. 초판. 서울:한미의학. 2008:801.
- StephenI. Esses. Textbook of Spinal Disorsers. 군자출판사. 서울:군자출판사. 2002:217.
- Dixon AStJ. Diagnos is of low back pair-sorting the complainers. In: Jayson MIV(ed) The Lumba rspine and back pain, 3rd edition. Pitman Medical, Tunbridge Wells. 1980.
- Wilke HJ, Wolf S, Claes LE, Arand M, Wiesend A. Stability increase of the lumbar spine with different muscle group. A biomechanical in vitro study. Spine.1995;20:192-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199501150-00011
- Southern EP, Fye MA, Panjabi MM, Patel TC, Cholewicki J. Disc degeneration: a human cadaveric study correlating magnetic resonance imaging and quantitative discomanometry. Spine. 2000;25:2171-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200009010-00005
- RS Jemmett. Rehabilitation of lumbar multifidus dysfunction in low backpain. Br J Sports Med. 2003;37:91. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.37.1.91
- 배지혜, 나진경, 유지연, 박영옥. 요통 환자의 다열근 위축에 대한 고찰. 대한재활의학회지. 2001;25(4):684-91.
- Sinclair DC, Feidel WH, Weddell G, Murray A. Falconer. The intervertebral ligaments as a source of segmental apin. J Bone Joint Surg. 1948;30B:515-21.
- 대한임상통증학회. 근골격계 통증의학II. 초판. 서울:한미의학. 2008:699.
- 김병곤, 서현규, 정연우. 슬링운동이 요부 안정화와 근력에 미치는 영향. 대한물리치료학회지. 2004;16(4):603-12.
- Phoenix J, betal D, Roberts N, Helliwell TR, Edwards RH. Objective quantification of muscle and fatin human dystrophic muscle by magnetic resonance image analysis. Muscle Nerve.1996;19:302-10. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4598(199603)19:3<302::AID-MUS4>3.0.CO;2-H
- C.H. Kang, M.J. Shin, S.M. Kim, S.H. Lee, C.S. Lee. MRI of paraspinal muscle in lumbar degenerative kyphosis patients and control patients with chronic low back pain. Clinical Radiology. 2007;62:479-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2006.12.002