- Volume 9 Issue 4
3D rapid prototyping is the manufacturing technology to fabricate a prototype with the data stored in a computer, which differs from conventional casting technology in terms of an additive process. Various 3D rapid prototyping techniques such as stereolithograpy. fused deposition modeling. selective laser sintering, laminated object manufacturing have been developed but among them, 3D inkjet printing has a unique feature that materials could be jetted to directly form the body of a prototype, which could be a finished product functionally and structurally. However, this needs ink with a high solid content, which tends to increase the dynamic viscosity of ink. The increase of ink viscositytends to restrict the jettable range of ink and hence the jetting conditions should be optimized. The intrinsic speed of sound in a hot melt ink with ceramic nanoparticles dispersed is one of key components to determine the jettable range of ink. In this paper, the way to measure the intrinsic speed of sound in a hot melt ceramic ink is proposed and its influence on the jetting condition is discussed.
inkjet;speed of sound;ceramic nanoparticles;rapid prototyping
- J.Y.H. Fuh, Y.S. Choo, A.Y.C. Nee, L. Lu, and K.C. Lee, "Improvement of the UV curing process for the laser lithography technique," Mater. Design, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 23-32, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-3069(95)00007-L
- S. Maruo, and K. Ikuta, “Submicron stereolithography for the production of freely movable mechanisms by using single-photon polymerization,”Sensor. Actuat. A-Phys., Vol. 100, pp. 70-76, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-4247(02)00043-2
- G.M. Lous, I.A. Cornejo, T.F. McNulty, A. Safari, and S.C. Danforth, “Fabrication of Piezoelectric Cerramic/Polymer Composite Transducers Using Fused Deposition of Ceramics,”J. Am. Ceram. Soc., Vol. 83, No. 1, pp. 124-128, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.2000.tb01159.x
- A.K. Ibraheem, B. Derby, and P.J. Withers, “Thermal and residual Stress Modelling of the Selective Laser Sintering Process,” Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., Vol. 758, pp. 47-52, 2003.
- 유홍진, 김동학, 장석원, 김태완, "SLS형 쾌속조형기를 이용한 미세구조 몰드 제작," 한국산학기술학회논문지, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 186-190, 2004.
- 주영철, 김태완, "쾌속조형기를 이용한 정밀주조물의 쾌속제작에 관한 연구," 한국산학기술학회논문지, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 136-140, 2002.
- D.T. Pham, and R.S. Gault, “A comparison of rapid prototyping technologies,” Int. J. Mach. Tool. Manu., Vol. 38, No. 10, pp. 1257-1287, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0890-6955(97)00137-5
- 엄태준, 주영철, 민상현, "쾌속제작을 위한 적층 및 이송장치 개발," 한국산학기술학회논문지, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 126-130, 2002.
- K. Yamaguchi, K. Sakai, T. Yamanaka, and T. Hirayama, “Generation of three-dimensional micro structure using metal jet,” Precis. Eng., Vol. 24, pp. 2-8, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-6359(99)00015-X
- H.J. Lee, and E. Sachs, “A visual simulation technique for 3D printing,” Adv. Eng. Softw., Vol. 31, pp. 97-106, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-9978(99)00045-9
- W. Voit, K.V. Rao, and W. Zapka, “Direct-Write Process for UV-Curable Epoxy Materials by Inkjet Technology,” Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., Vol. 758, pp. 93-99, 2003.
- C. Ainsley, N. Reis, and B. Derby, “Freeform fabrication by controlled droplet deposition of powder filled melts,”J. Mater. Sci., Vol. 37, pp. 3155-3161, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016106311185
- B. Derby, and N. Reis, “Inkjet Printing of Highly Loaded Particulate Suspensions,” MRS Bull., Vol. 28, No. 11, pp. 815-818, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1557/mrs2003.230
- D.B. Bogy, and F.E. Talke, "Experimental and Theoretical Study of Wave Propagation Phenomena in Drop-on-Demand Ink Jet Devices,"IBM J. Res. Develop., Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 314-321, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1147/rd.283.0314
- N. Bugdayci, D.B. Bogy, and F.E. Talke, "Axisymmetric Motion of Radially Polarized Piezoelectric Cylinders Used in Ink Jet Printing,"IBM J. Res. Develop., Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 171-180, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1147/rd.272.0171
- D.Y. Shin, P. Grassia, and B. Derby, "Oscillatory limited compressible fluid flow induced by the radial motion of a thick-walled piezoelectric tube," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 114, No. 3, pp. 1314-1321, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1603769
- A.D. Pierce, "Acoustics: An Introduction to Its Physical Principles and Applications," the Acoustical Society of America, 1989.
- T.D. Rossing, and N.H. Fletcher, "The Physics of Musical Instruments," Springer, 1998.
- Properties of Piezoelectric Ceramics. Technical Publication TP-226. Morgan Matroc Inc., http://www.morganelectroceramics.com/pdfs/tp226.pdf
- B.V. Antohe, and D.B. Wallace, "The Determination of the Speed of Sound in Liquids Using Acoustic Resonance in Piezoelectric Tubes," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 10, No. 11, pp. 994-998, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/10/11/303
- Pugh SJ, Lambert RF. Fluid Transients in Pipes and Tunnel: Speed of Propagation of Pressure Waves. Engineering Sciences Data Unit (ESDU) Data item 83046, 2001.
- N. Reis, "Solid Freeform Fabrication of ceramics by controlled droplet deposition of particulate suspensions," PhD thesis, University of Oxford, UK, 2002.
- N. Reis, C. Ainsley, and B. Derby, "Viscosity and Acoustic Behavior of Ceramic Suspensions Optimized for Phase-Change Ink-Jet Printing," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., Vol. 88, No. 4, pp. 802-808, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1551-2916.2005.00138.x