- Volume 19 Issue 6
Synthesis of Cholesteric Liquid Crystal and Its Application as a Polarizing Component on the Optical Film
콜레스테릭 액정의 합성과 광학필름용 편광성분으로서의 응용
- Kim, Yong-Suk (Regional Innovation Center for Environmental Technology of Thermal Plasma (ETTP), Inha University) ;
- Lee, Kwang-Yeon (Regional Innovation Center for Environmental Technology of Thermal Plasma (ETTP), Inha University) ;
- Ahn, Cheol-Heung (Shinwha Intertek Corporation) ;
- Kim, Geon-Joong (Regional Innovation Center for Environmental Technology of Thermal Plasma (ETTP), Inha University)
- Received : 2008.09.23
- Accepted : 2008.09.29
- Published : 2008.12.10
In this study, cholesteric liquid crystal (CLC) was synthesized and applied as a polarizing component on the optical film of back light units (BLU) for LCDs. After mixing CLC with nematic liquid crystal, this mixture was fulfilled in the module consisting of two films and then its amplifying efficiency and polarizing ability for a planarly emitted light were examined to apply as a BLU polarizer film for increasing the brightness of light. The properties of CLC compound were tested by UV/Visible spectroscopy and polarizing optical microscopy (POM). Flexible spacer was made by linear carboxylic acid group of cholesteric derivatives between cholesterol mesogen units for one-axis orientation in each layer. The CLC containing film could be used as a module to increase the ability of polarization and to enhance brightness of BLU and to widen wavelength range by stacking the films.
cholesteric liquid crystal;polarized light;doping chemicals
Supported by : 인하대학교 열플라즈마환경기술연구센터
- K. R. Patent No.10-1998-0708060, (1998).
- J. H. Liu and P. C. Yang, Polymer, 47, 4925 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2006.05.043
- J. S. Hu, B. Y. Zhang, W. Pan, Y. H. Li, and S. C. Ren, J. Appl. Polm. Sci., 99, 2330 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.22700
- Y. J. Wang, M. Pei, P. Peng, and G. O. Carlisle, J Mater Sci: Mater Electron, 17, 385 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-006-7475-2
- A. H. Hartwig, T. K. Mahato, T. Kaese, and D. Wohrle, Macromol. Chem. Phys., 206, 1718 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1002/macp.200500198
- 김재훈, 전자부품, 테크월드, 7, 66 (2006).
- J. H. Liu, P. C. Yang, Y. K. Wang, and C. C. Wang, Liquid Crystal, 33, 237 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1080/02678290600577971
- M. Mitov and N. Dessaud, Nature Materials, 5, 361 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1038/nmat1619
- S. D. Jacobs, K. A. Cerqua, K. L. Marshall, M. J. Guardalben, and K. J. Skerrett, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 5, 1962 (1988). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAB.5.001962
- T. Tixier, M. H. Butler, and E. M. Terentjev, Langmuir, 22, 2365 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1021/la0531953
- 최이준, 진정일 저, 액정고분자, 문운당 (2001).
- J. H. Liu and P. C. Yang, Liquid Crystals, 32, 539 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1080/02678290500117654
- Y. G. Jia, B. Y. Zhang, Q. J. Sun, and H. X. Chang, Colloid Polym. Sci., 282, 1077 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00396-003-1035-6
- S. Pieraccini, A. Ferrarini, G. Gottarelli, S. Lena, S. Masiero, and G. P. Spada, J. Org. Chem., 70, 8009 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1021/jo051122i