- Volume 19 Issue 6
Patent Analysis of Oil Sands Bitumen Upgrading Technologies
오일샌드 역청 개질 기술의 특허정보 분석
- Lee, Ki Bong (Alternative Fuels Research Center, Korea Institute of Energy Research) ;
- Jeon, Sang Goo (Alternative Fuels Research Center, Korea Institute of Energy Research) ;
- Nho, Nam Sun (Alternative Fuels Research Center, Korea Institute of Energy Research) ;
- Kim, Kwang Ho (Alternative Fuels Research Center, Korea Institute of Energy Research) ;
- Shin, Dae Hyun (Alternative Fuels Research Center, Korea Institute of Energy Research) ;
- Kim, Seon Wook (Korea National Oil Corporation) ;
- Kim, Yong Heon (Korea National Oil Corporation)
- 이기봉 (한국에너지기술연구원 대체연료연구센터) ;
- 전상구 (한국에너지기술연구원 대체연료연구센터) ;
- 노남선 (한국에너지기술연구원 대체연료연구센터) ;
- 김광호 (한국에너지기술연구원 대체연료연구센터) ;
- 신대현 (한국에너지기술연구원 대체연료연구센터) ;
- 김선욱 (한국석유공사) ;
- 김용헌 (한국석유공사)
- Received : 2008.08.01
- Accepted : 2008.10.10
- Published : 2008.12.10
Oil sands had not received enough attention due to high production cost. However, as oil price significantly increases, oil sands are receiving more and more interest as unconventional crude oil. The value and applicability of oil sands can be enhanced by upgrading oil sands bitumen to produce synthetic crude oil (SCO). This study analyzed 213 oil sands upgrading patents applied between 1969 and 2006 in US, Canada, Japan, Europe, and Korea. The upgrading technologies could be classified into 9 detailed technologies; hydrocracking, coking, thermal cracking, deasphalting, supercritical technology, bio-technology, hydrotreating, gasification, and others. The number of patents applied for oil sands upgrading increased after 1970, reached a maximum in the early 1980, and slowly increases again in recent years. Korea has a lack of technologies for oil sands. Therefore, the technologies for oil sands production and application, specially, upgrading technologies based on accumulated oil refinery technologies need to be developed to increase self-development ratio of energy resource.
oil sands;bitumen;upgrading technology;patent analysis
Grant : 비재래형 석유계 연료의 고품위화 기술 개발, 오일샌드 개질공정 기초연구 I -기술 개발 연구
Supported by : 한국에너지기술연구원, 한국석유공사
- KIPRIS, www.kipris.or.kr.
- IBM, www.delphion.com.
- S. H. Ng, Energy & Fuels, 11, 1127 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1021/ef970010u
- OECD, Compendium of Patent Statistics (2007).
- International Energy Agency, Medium-Term Oil Market Report (2007).
- T. J. McCann and Associates Ltd., Petrochemicals from Oil Sands, report for Alberta Energy Research Institute, Nova Chemicals Ltd., Shell Chemicals Canada, Suncor Energy Inc. (2002).
- Korea Patent 10-2006-0076862 (2006).
- The Canadian Biotechnology Strategy Online, Mining and Energy: Summary Report (1998).
- E. Furimsky, Review, Fuel Processing Technology, 56, 263 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3820(98)00048-4
- WIPS, www.wips.co.kr.
- E. Isaacs, The Canadian Oil Sands in the Context of the Global Energy Demand, 17th Convocation of the International Council of Academies of Engineering and Technological Sciences, Tokyo, Japan (2007).
- L. Flint, Bitumen & Very Heavy Crude Upgrading Technology - Long Term R&D Opportunities, report from Lenef Consulting Limited (2004).
- M. R. Gray, Upgrading Petroleum Residues and Heavy Oils, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York (1994).
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office, www.cipo.ic.gc.ca.
- J. G. Speight, The Chemistry and Technology of Petroleum, 4th ed., CRC Press, New York (2006).
- D. S. Scott, D. Radlein, J. Piskorz, P. Majerski, and Th. J. W. de-Bruijn, Fuel, 80, 1087 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-2361(00)00174-5