- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Coracoclavicular Ligaments Reconstruction for Acromioclavicular Dislocation using Two Suture Anchors and Coracoacromial Ligament Transfer
견봉 쇄골 탈구의 봉합 나사못과 오구 견봉 인대 이전술을 이용한 오구 쇄골 인대 재건술
- Published : 2008.06.15
Purpose: This study examined the outcomes of reconstruction of the coracoclavicular ligaments with using two suture anchors and performing coracoacromial ligament transfer in patients with acromioclavicular dislocation. Material and methods: Forty patients with complete acromioclavicular dislocation were included in this study. According to the preoperative radiographs, 5 patients with AC dislocations were diagnosed as type III, 4 patients as type IV and 31 patients as type V. Two 3.5mm suture anchors with four strands of nonabsorbable sutures were separately placed on the anterolateral and posteromedial portion of the base of the coracoid process to stabilize the distal clavicle. The coracoacromial ligament was then transferred to the undersurface of the distal end of the clavicle for augmentation. Results: At a mean follow-up of 28 months, the average Constant score improved to 97 points. All the patients returned to normal life at an average of 3.2 months postoperatively. At the last follow-up, 37 patients achieved anatomical reduction and three patients showed complete redislocation. However, the clinical results of the patients with redislocation were satisfactory. Conclusion: Anatomical coracoclavicular reconstruction using two suture anchors and coracoacromial ligament transfer for treating complete acromioclavicular dislocation is a safe, effective procedure for restoring a physiologically stable acromioclavicular joint.
Acromioclavicular dislocation;Suture anchors;Coracoacromial ligaments;Reconstruction
- Bargren JH, Erlanger S, Dick HM: Biomechanics and comparison of two operative methods of treatment of complete acromioclavicular separation. Clin Othop, 130:267-272, 1978.
- Bearden JM, Hughston JC, Whatley GS: Acromioclavicular dislocation: method of treatment. J Sports Med, 1:5-17, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354657300100303
- Boehm TD, Kirschner S, Fischer A, Gohlke F: The relation of the coracoclavicular ligament insertion to the acromioclavicular joint: a cadaver study of relevance to lateral clavicle resection. Acta Orthop Scand, 74:718-721, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016470310018261
- Breslow MJ, Jazrawi LM, Bernstein AD, Kummer FJ, Rokito AS: Treatment of acromioclavicular joint separation: suture or suture anchors? J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 11:225-229, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1067/mse.2002.123904
- Chernchujit B, Tischer T, Imhoff AB: Arthroscopic reconstruction of the acromioclavicular joint disruption: surgical technique and preliminary results. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg, 126:575-581, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-005-0073-6
- Costic RS, Jari R, Rodosky MW, Debski RE: Joint compression alters the kinematics and loading patterns of the intact and capsule-transected AC joint. J Orthop Res, 21:379-385, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0736-0266(02)00197-3
- Debski RE, Parsons IM, 3rd, Fenwick J, Vangura A: Ligament mechanics during three degree-of-freedom motion at the acromioclavicular joint. Ann Biomed Eng, 28:612-618, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1114/1.1304848
- Dimakopoulos P, Panagopoulos A, Syggelos SA, Panagiotopoulos E, Lambiris E: Double-loop suture repair for acute acromioclavicular joint disruption. Am J Sports Med, 34:1112-1119, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546505284187
- Dumontier C, Sautet A, Man M, Apoil A: Acromioclavicular dislocations: treatment by coracoacromial ligamentoplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 4:130-134, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(05)80067-9
- Fukuda K, Craig EV, An KN, Cofield RH, Chao EY: Biomechanical study of the ligamentous system of the acromioclavicular joint. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 68:434-440, 1986. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198668030-00019
- Harris RI, Wallace AL, Harper GD, Goldberg JA, Sonnabend DH, Walsh WR: Structural properties of the intact and the reconstructed coracoclavicular ligament complex. Am J Sports Med, 28:103-108, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/03635465000280010201
- Hessmann M, Gotzen L, Gehling H: Acromioclavicular reconstruction augmented with polydioxanonsulphate bands. Surgical technique and results. Am J Sports Med, 23:552-556, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659502300506
- Jerosch J, Filler T, Peuker E, Greig M, Siewering U: Which stabilization technique corrects anatomy best in patients with AC-separation. An experimental study. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, 7:365-372, 1997.
- Klimkiewicz JJ, Williams GR, Sher JS, Karduna A, Des Jardins J, Iannotti JP: The acromioclavicular capsule as a restraint to posterior translation of the clavicle: a biomechanical analysis. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 8:119-124, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(99)90003-4
- Kwon YW, Iannotti JP: Operative treatment of acromioclavicular joint injuries and results. Clinics Sports Med, 22:291-300, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-5919(03)00005-X
- Lancaster S, Horowitz M, Alonso J: Complete acromioclavicular separations. A comparison of operative methods. Clin Orthop, 216:80-88, 1987.
- Lee DJ, Park SR, Kim MK, et al: Using sutute anchor in treatment of an acromioclavicular dislocation. J Korean Orthop Assoc, 41:303-309, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2006.41.2.303
- Lee KW, Debski RE, Chen CH, Woo SL, Fu FH: Functional evaluation of the ligaments at the acromioclavicular joint during anteroposterior and superoinferior translation. Am J Sports Med, 25:858-862, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659702500622
- Lee SJ, Nicholas SJ, Akizuki KH, McHugh MP, Kremenic IJ, Ben-Avi S: Reconstruction of the coracoclavicular ligaments with tendon grafts: a comparative biomechanical study. Am J Sports Med, 31:648-655, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/03635465030310050301
- Lemos MJ: The evaluation and treatment of the injured acromioclavicular joint in athletes. Am J Sports Med, 26:137-144, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/03635465980260010801
- Lindsey RW, Gutowski WT: The migration of a broken pin following fixation of the acromioclavicular joint. A case report and review of the literature. Orthopedics, 9:413-416, 1986.
- Mazzocca AD, Arciero RA, Bicos J: Evaluation and treatment of acromioclavicular joint injuries. Am J Sports Med, 35:316-329, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546506298022
- Mazzocca AD, Santangelo SA, Johnson ST, Rios CG, Dumonski ML, Arciero RA: A biomechanical evaluation of an anatomical coracoclavicular ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Me, 34:236-246, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546505281795
- McConnell AJ, Yoo DJ, Zdero R, Schemitsch EH, McKee MD: Methods of operative fixation of the acromio-clavicular joint: a biomechanical comparison. J Orthop Trauma, 21:248-253, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0b013e31803eb14e
- Mlasowsky B, Brenner P, Duben W, Heymann H: Repair of complete acromioclavicular dislocation (Tossy stage III) using Balser’s hook plate combined with ligament sutures. Injury, 19:227-232, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-1383(88)90031-9
- Nicholas SJ, Lee SJ, Mullaney MJ, Tyler TF, McHugh MP: Clinical outcomes of coracoclavicular ligament reconstructions using tendon grafts. Am J Sports Med, 35:1912-1917, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546507304715
- Nuber G, Lafosse L: Disorders of the acromioclavicular joint. Pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management. In: Iannotti JP, Williams GR eds. Disorders of the shoulder. Philadelphia, Penn, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins: 979-1006, 2007.
- Park JP, Arnold JA, Coker TP, Harris WD, Becker DA: Treatment of acromioclavicular separations. A retrospective study. Am J Sports Med, 8:251-256, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354658000800407
- Pfahler M, Krodel A, Refior HJ: Surgical treatment of acromioclavicular dislocation. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg, 113:308-311, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00426177
- Rockwood CA, Williams G, Young D: Disorders of the acromioclavicular joint. In: Rockwwod CA, Matsen FA, Wirth M, Latsen LR, eds. The shoulder. Philadelphia, Penn, Saunders:521-595, 2004.
- Rolf O, Hann von Weyhern A, Ewers A, Boehm TD, Gohlke F: Acromioclavicular dislocation Rockwood III-V: results of early versus delayed surgical treatment. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg, 22, 2007.
- Sim E, Schwarz N, Hocker K, Berzlanovich A: Repair of complete acromioclavicular separations using the acromioclavicular-hook plate. Clin Orthop, 314:134-142, 1995.
- Smith MJ, Stewart MJ: Acute acromioclavicular separations. A 20-year study. Am J Sports Med, 7:62-71, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354657900700113
- Su EP, Vargas JH, 3rd, Boynton MD: Using suture anchors for coracoclavicular fixation in treatment of complete acromioclavicular separation. Am J Orthop, 33:256-257, 2004.
- Taft TN, Wilson FC, Oglesby JW: Dislocation of the acromioclavicular joint. An end-result study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 69:1045-1051, 1987. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198769070-00013
- Tsou PM: Percutaneous cannulated screw coracoclavicular fixation for acute acromioclavicular dislocations. Clin Orthop, 243:112-121, 1989.
- Urist M: Complete dislocation of the acromioclavicular joint: The nature of the traumatic lesion and effective methods of treatment with an analysis of 41 cases. J Bone Joint Surg. 28:813-837, 1946.
- Weaver JK, Dunn HK: Treatment of acromioclavicular injuries, especially complete acromioclavicular separation. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 54:1187-1194, 1972. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-197254060-00005
- Weinstein DM, McCann PD, McIlveen SJ, Flatow EL, Bigliani LU: Surgical treatment of complete acromioclavicular dislocations. Am J Sports Med, 23:324-331, 1995.
- Arthroscopic Treatment of Acromioclavicular Joint Dislocation Using TightRope® - Preliminary Report - vol.23, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.12671/jkfs.2010.23.3.310