- Volume 8 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Experimental and analytical behaviour of composite slabs
- Lopes, Emanuel (Civil Engineering Department, Polytechnic Institute of Castelo Branco) ;
- Simoes, Rui (Civil Engineering Department, University of Coimbra)
- Received : 2007.03.21
- Accepted : 2008.05.21
- Published : 2008.10.25
The Eurocode 4 presents some negative aspects in the design of composite slabs by the m-k Method or the Partial Connection Method. On one hand, the component chemical adherence is not accounted for in the connection between the profiled steel sheet and the concrete. On the other hand, the application of these methods requires some fitting parameters that must be determined by full scale tests. In this paper, the Eurocode 4 methods are compared with a method developed at the Federal Polytechnic School of Lausanne, based on pullout tests, which can be a valid alternative. Hence, in order to calculate the necessary parameters for the three methods, several tests have been performed such as the full scale test described in Eurocode 4 and pull-out tests. This last type of tests is of small dimensions and implicates lower costs. Finally, a full-scale test of a steel-concrete composite slab with a generic loading is presented, with the goal of verifying the analytical formulation.
composite slabs;curvature;longitudinal shear;shear span;slip phenomenon;moment-curvature relation;pull-out test;full-scale test;small-scale test
- Bode, H. (1990), "Design of Composite Slabs with Partial Shear Connection", ECCS TWG 7.6 Working Group Communication.
- CEN Eurocode: Basis of Structural Design, EN 1990, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, 2001.
- CEN - Eurocode 4 - Design of Composite Steel and Concrete Structures - Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings, EN 1994-1-1, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, 2007.
- Crisinel, M. and Carvajal, F. M. (2002), "A new simplified method for the design of composite slabs", Proceedings of Third European Conference on Steel Structures, Coimbra, pp. 431-440.
- Daniels, B. and Crisinel, M. (1988), "Composite slabs with profiled sheeting", Proceedings of an Engineering Foundation Conference on Composite Construction in Steel and Concrete, ASCE, pp. 656-662.
- EN 10002 Materiais Metalicos-Ensaio de Traccao. Parte 1: Metodo de Ensaio a Temperatura Ambiente, IPQ, 1990.
- Lopes, E. (2005), "Lajes Mistas Aco-Betao: Metodologias de Verificacao do Corte Longitudinal", Tese de Mestrado (in Portuguese), Coimbra.
- Lopes, E. and Simoes, R. (2006), "Experimental Behaviour of Composite Slabs", Proceedings of the XI International Conference on METAL STRUCTURES, 21-23 June 2006 Rzeszow ? POLAND.
- Luttrell, L. D. (1987), "Flexural Strength of Composite Slabs", Composite Steel Structures-Advances, Design and Construction, Elsevier Science Publishing Co., Inc.; pp. 106-116.
- Patrick, M. and Bridge, R. (1994), "Partial shear connection design of composite slabs", Eng. Struct., 16(5), pp. 348-362. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(94)90028-0
- Porter, M. and Ekberg, C. (1976), "Design Recommendations for Steel Deck Floor Slabs", J. Struct. Div, ASCE, 102, pp. 2121-2136.
- Veljkovic, M. (1998), "Influence of Load Arrangement on Composite Slab Behaviour and Recommendations for Design", Constr. Steel Res., 45(2), pp. 149-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(97)00055-2
- Experiments and failure analysis of SHCC and reinforced concrete composite slabs vol.56, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2015.01.009
- Analysis on Shear Force of Specimens Using Perfobond Rib Shear Connector vol.15, pp.1, 2011, https://doi.org/10.11112/jksmi.2011.15.1.138
- Effects of non-uniform shrinkage on the long-term behaviour of composite steel-concrete slabs vol.15, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-015-6012-7
- Experimental Study of In-Plane Shear Behavior of Fiber-Reinforced Concrete Composite Slabs vol.142, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001413
- Short- and long-term restrained shrinkage cracking of fiber reinforced concrete composite metal decks: an experimental study vol.50, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-017-1011-0
- Effect of fibers and welded-wire reinforcements on the diaphragm behavior of composite deck slabs vol.19, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.1.153
- Experimental study on shear bond behavior of composite slabs according to Eurocode 4 vol.82, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.12.009
- Non-uniform shrinkage in simply-supported composite steel-concrete slabs vol.18, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.2.375
- Estudo comparativo dos critérios de dimensionamento ao cisalhamento longitudinal em lajes mistas de aço e concreto vol.2, pp.2, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1983-41952009000200002
- Improvement of the behaviour of composite slabs: A new type of end anchorage vol.19, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.6.1381
- A Study on Shear Strength of the Perfobond Rib Shear Connector for Composite Beam vol.764-765, pp.1662-7482, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.764-765.1026