- Volume 8 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Optimum design of steel framed structures including determination of the best position of columns
- Torkzadeh, P. (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Kerman) ;
- Salajegheh, J. (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Kerman) ;
- Salajegheh, E. (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Kerman)
- Received : 2007.01.02
- Accepted : 2008.07.17
- Published : 2008.10.25
In the present study, an efficient method for the optimum design of three-dimensional (3D) steel framed structures is proposed. In this method, in addition to choosing the best position of columns based on architectural requirements, the optimum cross-sectional dimensions of elements are determined. The preliminary design variables are considered as the number of columns in structural plan, which are determined by a direct optimization method suitable for discrete variables, without requiring the evaluation of derivatives. After forming the geometry of structure, the main variables of the cross-sectional dimensions are evaluated, which satisfy the design constraints and also achieve the least-weight of the structure. To reduce the number of finite element analyses and the overall computational time, a new third order approximate function is introduced which employs only the diagonal elements of the higher order derivatives matrices. This function produces a high quality approximation and also, a robust optimization process. The main feature of the proposed techniques that the higher order derivatives are established by the first order exact derivatives. Several examples are solved and efficiency of the new approximation method and also, the proposed method for the best position of columns in 3D steel framed structures is discussed.
optimum design;approximation concepts;higher order approximations;steel structures
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) (2002), 9th Ed., Chicago.
- Arora, J.S., Huang, M.W. and Hsieh, C.C. (1994), "Methods for optimization of nonlinear problems with discrete variables: a review", Struct. Optim., 8, 69-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01743302
- Bruyneel, M. and Fleury, C. (2002), "Composite structures optimization using sequential convex programming", Adv. Eng. Software, 33(7-10), 697-711. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-9978(02)00053-4
- Chung, T.T. and Chiou, C.H. (2001), "Self-adjusted convex approximation method for structural optimization", Comput. Struct., 79(6), 665-672. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(00)00162-0
- Edwin, K.P. Chong and Stanislaw, H. Zak (2001), An Introduction to Optimization, New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Salajegheh, E. (1996), "Discrete variable optimization of plate structures using dual method", Comput. Struct., 58(6), 1131-1138. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(95)00213-8
- Salajegheh, E. (1997), "Optimum design of plate structures using three-point approximation", Struct. Optim., 213(13), 142-147.
- Salajegheh E. (2000), "Optimum design of steel space frames with frequency constraints using three-point Rayleigh quotient approximation", J. Constr. Steel Res., 54, 305-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(99)00060-7
- Salajegheh, E. (2000), "Optimum design of structures with high quality approximation of frequency constraints", Adv. Eng. Software, 31(6), 381-384. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-9978(00)00002-8
- Salajegheh, E., Heidari, A. and Saryazdi, S. (2005), "Optimum design of structures against earthquake by a modified genetic algorithm using discrete wavelet transform", Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., 62, 2178-2192. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1279
- Salajegheh, E. and Heidari, A. (2004), "Optimum design of structures against earthquake by adaptive genetic algorithm using wavelet networks", J. Struct. Multidisc. Optim., 28, 277-285. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-004-0422-z
- Salajegheh, E., Gholizadeh, S. and Khatibinia, M. (2008), "Optimal design of structures for earthquake loads by a hybrid RBF-BPSO method", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 7, 13-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-008-0778-y
- Salajegheh, E. and Rahmani, A. (1998), "Optimum shape design of three-dimensional continuum structures using two-point quadratic approximation", in: B.H.V.
- Topping, Editor, Advances in Computational Structural Mechanics, Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Computational Structure Technology, Civil- Comp Press, Edinburg, 435-439.
- Salajegheh, E. and Salajegheh, J. (2002), "Optimum design of structures with discrete variables using higher order approximation", Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Eng., 191(13-14), 1395-1419. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7825(01)00330-9
- Vanderplaats, G.N. and Miura, H. & Associates, Inc. (1991), DOT user's manual, Version 3.00, VMA Engineering.
- Wang, L.P., Grandhi, R.V. and Canfield, R.A. (1995), "Improved two-point function approximation for design optimization", AIAA J., 33, 1720-1727. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.12715
- Wang, L.P., Grandhi. R.V. and Canfield, R.A. (1996), "Multivariate Hermite approximation for design optimization", Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., 39, 787-803. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0207(19960315)39:5<787::AID-NME881>3.0.CO;2-5
- Xu, G., Yamazaki, K. and Cheng, G.D. (2000), "A new two-point approximation approach for structural optimization", J. Struct. Multidisc. Optim., 20, 22-28. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001580050132
- Salajegheh, E. and Heidari, A. (2005-a), "Time history dynamic analysis of structures using filter banks and wavelet transforms", Comput. Struct., 83, 53-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2004.08.008
- Salajegheh, E. and Heidari, A. (2005-b), "Optimum design of structures against earthquake by wavelet transforms and filter banks", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34, 67-82. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.417