- Volume 8 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Experimental studies and numerical analysis of the shear behavior of fin plates to tubular columns at ambient and elevated temperatures
- Jones, M.H. (University of Manchester) ;
- Wang, Y.C. (University of Manchester)
- Received : 2007.12.01
- Accepted : 2008.04.01
- Published : 2008.06.25
This paper reports the results of a recent experimental study into the behavior of welded fin-plate connections to both hollow and concrete filled tubular (CFT) columns under shear. Experiments have been performed at both ambient and elevated temperatures with the aid of an electric kiln. The observed failure modes include fracture of the fin plate and tearing out of the tube around the welds. By considering the results of previously published research, the current design method for similar connections under purely tensile load, in CIDECT Guide 9, based on a deformation limit of 3% of the tube width is shown to be inadequate when evaluating the ultimate strength of such connections. By comparing the results from the current test program which failed in the fin-plate with Eurocode guidance for failure of a fin-plate alone under shear and bending load it is shown that the column face influences the overall connection strength regardless of failure mode. Concrete in-fill is observed to significantly increase the strength of connections over empty specimens, and circular column specimens were observed to exhibit greater strength than similarly proportioned square columns. A finite element (F.E.) model, developed using ABAQUS, is presented and validated against the experimental results in order that extensive parametric tests may be subsequently performed. When validating the model against elevated temperature tests it was found that using reduction factors suggested in published research for the specific steel grades improved results over applying the generic Eurocode elevated temperature steel strength reduction factors.
concrete filled tubes;fire resistance;joints;elevated temperature;fin plate;experiments;finite element modelling
- Li, G. Q., Jiang, S. C., Yin, Y. Z., Chen, K. & Li, M. F. (2003), "Experimental Studies on The Properties of Constructional Steel at Elevated Temperatures", J. Struct. Eng, American Society of Civil Engineers, 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445, 129:12 (1717). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:12(1717)
- Lu, L. H. (1997), "The static strength of I-beam to rectangular hollow section column connections", PhD thesis, University of Delft, Delft University Press, Netherlands.
- Outinen, J. (2007), "Mechanical properties of structural steels at high temperatures and after cooling down", PhD Thesis, Helsinki University of Technology, Laboratory of Steel Structures Publications 32, Helsinki, Finland.
- Packer, J. J. & Henderson. J. E. (1997), Hollow structural section connections and trusses: a design guide, 2nd Ed., Canadian Institute of Steel Construction.
- Sherman, D. R. (1995), "Simple Framing Connections to HSS Columns", Proc. American Institute of Steel Construction, National steel construction conference, San Antonio, Texas, USA. 30.1-30.16.
- Wang, Y.C. 2002. Steel and Composite Structures, Behaviour and Design for Fire Safety, Spon Press.
- White, R. N. & Fang, P. J. (1966), "Framing Connections for Square Structural Tubing". J. Struct. Div, American Society of Civil Engineers 92(ST2): 175-194.
- Yamamoto, N., Inaoka, S. & Morita, K. (1994), "Strength of un-stiffened connection between beams and concrete filled tubular column", Proc. 6th International Symposium on Tubular Structures, Tubular Structures V1, Grundy, Holgate & Wong (eds.), Rotterdam, Netherlands. pp 365-372.
- Cao, J. J., Packer, J. A. & Yang, G. J. (1998), "Yield line analysis of RHS connections with axial loads". J. Constr. Steel Res., Vol. 48, pp.1-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(98)90143-2
- CEN. 2001. Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures, Part 1.2: General rules - structural fire design. Draft for development, European committee for standardization. Document DD ENV 1993-1-2: 2001.
- CEN. 2003. Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures, Part 1.8: Design of joints. European committee for standardization. Document prEN 1993-1-8: 2003.
- FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) (2002). World Trade Center Building Performance Study: Data Collection, Preliminary Observations and Recommendations. Greenhorne & O'Mara, Inc.
- Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, inc. 2004. ABAQUS manuals version 6.4. Providence RI, USA.
- Jones, M. H. & Wang, Y. C. (2006), "Shear behavior of fin plates to tubular columns at ambient and elevated temperatures". Proc. 11th International Symposium on Tubular Structures, Tubular Structures X1, Packer & Willibald (eds.), Quebec City, Canada. pp 425-432.
- Jones, M. H. & Wang Y. C. (2007), "Experimental studies and numerical analysis of the shear behavior of fin plates to tubular columns at ambient and elevated temperatures", Proc. 3rd International Conference on Steel and Composite Structures, Wang & Choi (eds.), Manchester, U.K. pp 557-564.
- Kostecki, N. & Packer, J. A. (2003), "LongItudinal plate and through plate-to-hollow structural section welded connections", J. Struct. Eng., American Society of Civil Engineers, 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445, 129:4 (478). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:4(478)
- Kurobane, Y., Packer, J. A., Wardenier, J. & Yeomans, N. (2004), Design guide for structural hollow section column connections, CIDECT Design Guide 9 for Construction with Hollow Steel Sections. TUV-Verlag.
- Shear and bending behaviour of fin plate connection to concrete filled rectangular steel tubular column — Development of a simplified calculation method vol.67, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.10.006
- Computational Nonlinear Thermomechanical Model of Large Light Partition Walls Based on Experimental Analysis and Probabilistic Models vol.28, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.2012.00782.x
- Fire design of concrete encased columns: Validation of an advanced calculation model vol.17, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.6.835
- Tying behaviour of fin-plate connection to concrete-filled rectangular steel tubular column — Development of a simplified calculation method vol.66, pp.1, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.07.011
- Shear Storage Capacity of Vertical Stiffener Joints between Concrete-Filled Double Steel Tubular Columns and Steel Beams vol.2019, pp.1687-8094, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/3587982