- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Modeling wind ribs effects for numerical simulation external pressure load on a cooling tower of KAZERUN power plant-IRAN
- Goudarzi, Mohammad-Ali (Civil Engineering Department, K.N.Toosi University of Technology) ;
- Sabbagh-Yazdi, Saeed-Reza (Civil Engineering Department, K.N.Toosi University of Technology)
- Received : 2008.07.29
- Accepted : 2008.10.20
- Published : 2008.12.25
In this paper, computer simulation of wind flow around a single cooling tower with louver support at the base in the KAZERUN power station in south part of IRAN is presented as a case study. ANSYS FLOTRAN, an unstructured finite element incompressible flow solver, is used for numerical investigation of wind induced pressure load on a single cooling tower. Since the effects of the wind ribs on external surface of the cooling tower shell which plays important role in formation of turbulent flow field, an innovative relation is introduced for modeling the effects of wind ribs on computation of wind pressure on cooling tower's shell. The introduced relation which follows the concept of equivalent sand roughness for the wall function is used in conjunction with two equations
- Zhai, Z. and Fu, S. (2006), "Improving cooling efficiency of dry-cooling towers under cross-wind conditions by using wind-break methods", Applied Thermal Engineering, 26, 1008-1017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2005.10.016
- Cebeci, T. and Bradshaw, P. (1977), Momentum Transfer in Boundary Layers, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, New York.
- Fisenko, S.P. and Petruchik, A.I. (2005), "Towards to the control system of mechanical draft cooling tower of film type", Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 48, pp. 31-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2004.08.002
- Fisenko, S.P., Brin, A.A. and Petruchik, A.I. (2004), "Evaporative cooling of water in a mechanical draft cooling tower", Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 47, pp. 167-177.
- Fisenko, S.P., Petruchik, A.I. and Solodukhin, A.D. (2002), "Evaporative cooling of water in a natural draft cooling tower", Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 45, pp. 4683-4694. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(02)00158-8
- Launder, B.E. and Spalding, D.B. (1974), "The numerical computation of turbulent flows", Comput Methods Appl. Mech Eng., 3, pp. 269-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(74)90029-2
- Liu, R.-F., Shen, G.-H. and Sun, B.-N. (2006), "Numerical simulation study of wind load on large hyperbolic cooling tower", Gongcheng Lixue/Engineering Mechanics, 23, Issue SUPPL., June, Pages 177-183(in Chinese)
- Niemann, H.J. (1980), "Wind effects on cooling-tower shells", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 106(3), pp. 643-61.
- Niemann, H.J. and Kopper H. D. (1998), "Influence of adjacent buildings on wind effects on cooling towers", Eng. Struct., 20(10), pp. 874-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00131-4
- Niemann, H.J. and Ruhwedel, J. (1980), "Full-scale and model tests on wind induced, static and dynamic stresses in cooling tower shells", Eng. Struct., 2, 81-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(80)90034-6
- Orlando, M. (2001), "Wind-induced interference effects on two adjacent cooling towers", Eng. Struct., 23(8), pp. 979-992. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(00)00110-3
- Sabbagh-Yazdi, S.R., Torbati, M. Azad, F.M. and Haghighi, B. (2007), "Computer simulation of changes in the wind pressure due to cooling towers-buildings interference", WSEAS Transactions on Mathematics, 6(1), pp. 205-214.
- Schlichting, H. (1968), Boundary-layer Theory, Mc Graw-Hill, 6th edition.
- Sun, Tien-Fun and Zhou, Liang Mao (1983), "Wind pressure distribution around a rib less hyperbolic cooling tower", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn.; Issue 1-3, Pages. 181-192.
- VGB Guideline (2005), "Structural Design of Cooling Towers", VGB-Technical Committee, "Civil engineering problems of cooling towers", Essen, Germany.
- White, F.M. (1991), Viscous Fluid Flow, Mc Graw-Hill, Second edition
- Zhai, S. and Fu, Z. (2001), "Numerical investigation of the adverse effect of wind on the heat transfer performance of two natural draft cooling towers in tandem arrangement", Acta Mechanica Sinica, 17(1), 24-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02487767
- Zhai, Z. and Fu, S. (2002), "Modeling the airflow around cooling towers with multi-block CFD", In The 4th International ASME/JSME/KSME Symposium, Canada,.
- The influence of self-excited forces on wind loads and wind effects for super-large cooling towers vol.132, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2014.07.003
- Influence of ventilation rate on the aerodynamic interference between two extra-large indirect dry cooling towers by CFD vol.20, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.20.3.449
- Proposing a new technique to enhance thermal performance and reduce structural design wind loads for natural drought cooling towers vol.62, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.09.033
- Theoretical Prediction With Numerical and Experimental Verification to Predict Crosswind Effects on the Performance of Cooling Towers vol.36, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/01457632.2014.935223
- Stability and Reinforcement Analysis of Superlarge Exhaust Cooling Towers Based on a Wind Tunnel Test vol.141, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001309
- Wind-induced responses of super-large cooling towers vol.20, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11771-013-1846-7
- Extreme Wind Pressures and Non-Gaussian Characteristics for Super-Large Hyperbolic Cooling Towers Considering Aeroelastic Effect vol.141, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000922
- Effects of stiffening rings on the dynamic properties of hyperboloidal cooling towers vol.49, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.49.5.619
- Wind-induced vibration characteristics and parametric analysis of large hyperbolic cooling towers with different feature sizes vol.54, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.54.5.891
- MULTIPLE LOADING EFFECTS ON WIND-INDUCED STATIC PERFORMANCE OF SUPER-LARGE COOLING TOWERS vol.13, pp.08, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455413500399
- Aerodynamic and aero-elastic performances of super-large cooling towers vol.19, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2014.19.4.443