- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of partially earth-anchored cable system on dynamic wind response of cable-stayed bridges
- Won, Jeong-Hun (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University) ;
- Yoon, Ji-Hyun (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University) ;
- Park, Se-Jun (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Sang-Hyo (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2008.08.04
- Accepted : 2008.09.20
- Published : 2008.12.25
In this study, a partially earth-anchored cable system is studied in order to reduce the dynamic wind response of cable-stayed bridges. The employment of earth-anchored cables changes the dynamic characteristics of cable-stayed bridges under wind loads. In order to estimate the changes in the member forces, the spectral analysis for wind buffeting loads are performed and the peak responses are evaluated using 3-D finite element models of the three-span cable-stayed bridges with the partially earth-anchored cable system and with the self-anchored cable system, respectively. Comparing the results for the two different models, it is found that the earth-anchored cables affect longitudinal and vertical modes of the bridge. The changes of the natural frequencies for the longitudinal modes remarkably decrease the peak bending moment in the pylon and the movements at the expansion joints. The small changes of the natural frequencies for the vertical modes slightly increase bending moments and deflections in the girder. The original effects of the partially earth-anchored cable system are also shown under wind loads; the decrement of girder axial forces and bearing uplifting forces, and the increment of cable forces in the earth-anchored cables.
- Wu, Q., Kitahara, Y., Takahashi, K. and Chen, B. (2008), "Dynamic characteristics of megami cable-stayed bridge - a comparison of experimental and analytical results -", Int. J. Steel Struct., KSSC, 8(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2008.8.1.001
- Zhang, X-J. (2007), "Investigation on mechanics performance of cable-stayed-suspension hybrid bridges", Wind Struct., 10(6), 533-542. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2007.10.6.533
- Chen, X. (2006), "Analysis of long span bridge response to winds: building nexus between flutter and buffeting", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 132(12), 2006-2017. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2006)132:12(2006)
- Ding, Q., Chen, A. and Xiang, H. (2002), "Coupled buffeting response analysis of long-span bridges by the CQC approach", Struct. Eng. Mech., 14(5), 505-520. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2002.14.5.505
- Gimsing, N.J. (1997), Cable Supported Bridges - Concept and Design, Wiley, Chichester, U.K.
- Gimsing, N.J. (2006), "Evolution in span length of cable-stayed bridges", International Conference on Bridge Engineering − Challenges in the 21st Century, Hong Kong, November.
- Ito, M. (1996), "Cable-supported steel bridges: design problem and solutions", J. Constr. Steel Res., 39(1), 69-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(96)00026-0
- Janjic, D. (2006), "Aspects of wind buffeting response and non-linear structural analysis for cable stayed bridges", International Conference on Bridge Engineering − Challenges in the 21st Century, Hong Kong, November.
- Janjic, D. and Pircher H. (2004), "Consistent numerical model for wind buffeting analysis of long-span bridges", IABSE Symposium, Shanghai, September.
- Janjic, D., Pircher, M., and Pircher, H. (2003), "Optimization of cable tensioning in cable-stayed bridges", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 8(3), 131-137. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2003)8:3(131)
- Jones, N.P. and Scanlan, R.H. (2001), "Theory and full-bridge modeling of wind response of cable-supported bridges", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 6(6), 365-375. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2001)6:6(365)
- Otsuka, H., Tanaka, H., Noguchi, J., Etoh, T. and Sakai, I. (1990), "Partially anchored composite cable-stayed bridge", IABSE Symposium, Brussels, 347-351.
- Pircher H. (2004), User Guide for RM2004 and GP2004, TDV Ges.m.b.H., Austria.
- Scanlan, R.H. (2000), "Bridge deck aeroelastic admittance revisited", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 5(1), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2000)5:1(1)
- Simiu, E. and Scanlan, R.H. (1996), Wind Effects on Structures, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Starosseek, U. (1996), "Cable-stayed bridge concept for longer spans", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 1(3), 99-103. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(1996)1:3(99)
- Wang, Y.C. (1999), "Number of cable effects on buckling analysis of cable-stayed bridges", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 4(4), 242-248. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(1999)4:4(242)
- Structural Safety Analysis of a Long Span Cable-stayed Bridge with a Partially Earth Anchored Cable System on Dynamic Loads during Construction vol.31, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2016.31.4.104
- Effects of Partially Earth Anchored Cable System on Safety Improvement for a Long-span Cable-stayed Bridge under Seismic and Wind Load vol.31, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2016.31.4.97
- Numerical investigation on the wind stability of super long-span partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridges vol.21, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.21.4.407
- Vibrations of an aramid anchor cable subjected to turbulent wind vol.72, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2013.08.004