- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Enhancement of Biocontrol Activity of Antagonistic Chryseobacterium Strain KJ1R5 by Adding Carbon Sources against Phytophthora capsici
- Kim, Yu-Seok ;
- Jang, Bo-Ra ;
- Chung, Ill-Min ;
- Sang, Mee-Kyung ;
- Ku, Han-Mo ;
- Kim, Ki-Deok ;
- Chun, Se-Chul
- Published : 2008.06.30
Carbon utilization by Chryseobacterium strain KJ1R5 was studied to enhance its biocontrol activity against Phytophthora capsid. Chryseobacterium strain KJ1R5 has previously been shown to control Phytophthora blight of pepper (Capsicum annuum L.). Strain KJ1R5 could utilize carbon sources such as L-arabinose, D-cellobiose,
antagonistic bacteria;biological control;Chry-seobacterium;Phythophthora blight
- Chun, S. C. 1997. Etiology and biological control of rice seedling disease in water-seeded rice. Ph.D. Thesis. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, USA.
- Cohen-Bazire, G., Sistrom, W. R. and Stanier, R. Y. 1957. Kinetic studies of pigment synthesis by non-sulfur purple bacteria. J. Cell Physiol. 49:25-68. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.1030490104
- Gilbert, G. S., Parke, J. L., Clayton, M. K. and Handelsman, J. 1993. Effects of an introduced bacterium on bacterial communities on roots. Ecology 74:840-854. https://doi.org/10.2307/1940810
- Gilbert, G. S., Clayton, M. K., Handelsman, J. and Parke, J. L. 1996. Use of cluster and discriminant analyses to compare rhizosphere bacterial communities following biological perturbation. Micro. Ecol. 32:123-147.
- Hwang, B. K. and Kim, C. H. 1995. Phytophthora blight of pepper and its control in Korea. Plant Dis. 79:221-226. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-79-0221
- Ahmed, A. S., Consuelo, P. S. and Maria, E. C. 2000. Evaluation of induction of systemic resistance in pepper plants (Capsicum annuum) to Phytophthora capsici using Trichoderma harzianum and its relation with capsidiol accumulation. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 106:817-824. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008780022925
- Baker, R., Stavely, C. A., Thomas, M. Sasse., and MacFall, J. S. 1983. Inhibitory effect of Bacillus subtilis on Uromyces phaseoli and on development of rust pustules on bean leaves. Phytopathology 73:1148-1152. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-73-1148
- Leal, J. A., Gallegly, M. E. and Lilly, V. G. 1967. The relation of the carbon-nitrogen ratio on the basal medium to sexual reproduction in species of Phytophthora. Mycologia 59:953-964. https://doi.org/10.2307/3757268
- Lee, J. Y., Kim, H. S., Kim, K. D. and Hwang, B. K. 2004. In vitro anti-oomycete activity and in vivo control efficacy of phenylacetic acid against Phytophthora capsici. Plant Pathol. J. 20: 177-183. https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.2004.20.3.177
- Lee, Y. S., Choi, J. W., Kim, S. D. and Baik, H. S. 1999. Isolation of antagonistic bacteria to Phytophthora capsici for biological control of Phytophthora blight of red pepper. Kor. J. Life Sci. 9:1-7.
- Mircetich, Srecko. M. and Zentmyer, G. A. 1969. Effect of carbon and nitrogen compounds on germination of chlamydospores of Phytophthora cinnamoni in soil. Phytopathology 59:1732-1735.
- Mitchell, D. J. and Zentmyer, G. A. 1971a. Effects of oxygen and carbon dioxide tensions on sporangium and oospore formation by Phytophthora spp. Phytopathology 61:807-811. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-61-807
- Mitchell, D. J. and Zentmyer, G. A. 1971b. Effects of oxygen and carbon dioxide tensions on growth of several species of Phytophthora. Phytopathology 61:787-791. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-61-787
- Park, H. G. 1992. Current status, problems and prospects of hot pepper industry in Korea. J. Kor. Capsicum Res. Coop. 1:1-12.
- Jung, H. K. and Kim, S. D. 2004. Selection and antagonistic mechanism of Pseudomonas fluorescens 4059 against Phytophthora blight disease. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 32:312-316.
- Kim, B. S. and Hwang, B. K. 1992. Isolation of antibiotic-producing bacteria antagonistic to Phytophthora capsici from peppergrowing soils and evaluation of their antibiotic activity. Korean J. Plant Pathol. 8:241-248.
- Kim, H. S. and Kim, K. D. 2002. Field tests of antagonistic bacteria for biological control of Phytophthora blight of pepper. Plant Pathol. J. 18:349.
- Kim, H. S., Sang, M. K., Jeun, Y.-C., Hwang, B. K. and Kim, K. D. 2008. Sequential selection and efficacy of antagonistic rhizobacteria for controlling Phytophthora blight of pepper. Crop Prot. 27:436-443. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2007.07.013
- Kim, K. D., Nemec, S. and Musson, G. 1997. Control of Phytophthora root and crown rot of bell pepper with composts and soil amendments in the greenhouse. Appl. Soil Ecol. 5:169-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-1393(96)00138-2
- James, D. W. and Gutterson, N. I. 1986. Multiple antibiotics produced by Pseudomonas fluorescens Hv37a and their differential regulation by glucose. Appl. Environ. 52:1183-1189.
- Janisiewicz, W. J., Usall, J. and Bros, B. 1992. Nutritional enhancement of biocontrol of blue mold on apples. Phytopathology 82:1364-1370. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-82-1364
- Jee, H. J., Nam, C. G. and Kim, C. H. 1988. Studied on biological control of Phytophthora blight of red-pepper. I. Isolation of antagonists and evaluation of antagonistic activity in vitro and in greenhouse. Korean J. Plant Pathol. 4:305-312.
- Jiang, Z. Q., Guo, J. H., Li, S. M., Guo, Y. H. and Qi, H. Y. 2005. Evaluation of biocontrol efficiency of different Bacillus preparation and filed application methods against Phytophthora blight of bell pepper. Biol. Cont. 36:216-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2005.10.012
- Sang, M. K., Oh, J. Y. and Kim, K. D. 2007. Root-dipping application of antagonistic rhizobacteria for the control of Phytophthora blight of pepper under field conditions. Plant Pathol. J. 23:109-112. https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.2007.23.2.109
- Sang, M .K. Chiang, M. H., Yi, E. S., Park, K. W. and Kim, K. D. 2006. Biocontrol of Korean ginseng root rot caused by Phytophthora cactorum using antagonistic bacterial strains ISE13 and KJ1R5. Plant Pathol. J. 22:103-106. https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.2006.22.1.103
- Sim, J. B. 2006. Enhancement of biological efficacy with carbon sources in rice seedling diseases of water-seeded rice. M.S. thesis. Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea.
- Identification and characterization of Chryseobacterium wanjuense strain KJ9C8 as a biocontrol agent of Phytophthora blight of pepper vol.32, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2011.10.018
- Chryseobacterium kwangjuense sp. nov., isolated from pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) root vol.63, pp.Pt 8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.048496-0
- Biocontrol Activity and Induction of Systemic Resistance in Pepper by Compost Water Extracts AgainstPhytophthora capsici vol.100, pp.8, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-100-8-0774
- Draft Genome Sequence of a Biocontrol Rhizobacterium,Chryseobacterium kwangjuenseStrain KJ1R5, Isolated from Pepper (Capsicum annuum) vol.4, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.00301-16
- Enhanced Biological Control of Phytophthora Blight of Pepper by Biosurfactant-Producing Pseudomonas vol.29, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.OA.11.2012.0176
- from Diseased Fish vol.6, pp.26, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.00628-18