- Volume 23 Issue 6
A Study on the Development of Safety Performance Index in Chemical Industry
화학산업에서의 안전성능지수 개발에 관한 연구
- Kang, Mee-Jin (Department of Energy Safety Engineering, Graduate School of Energy & Environment, Seoul National University of Technology) ;
- Lee, Young-Soon (Department of Safety Engineering, Seoul National University of Technology) ;
- Kwon, Hyuck-Myun (Korea Occupational Safety and Health Agency)
- Published : 2008.12.31
In order to maintain the continual safety management in a company, it needs to evaluate and monitor its implementation of safety management. Because the number of major-accidents is not an effective method of indicating company's safety performance, various efforts to develop more reasonable indicators have been made in world wide. After Korean government has legally required the PSM report, PSM compliance audit has been developed and made by the authorities concerned since 2005. However, this audit consists of complicate procedures difficult to utilize as companies' own audit program and corresponds to only a conformity check that confirms whether the PSM be operated and maintained properly. So a new index by which to measure easily the level of safety performance and self-monitor the implementation of safety management is needed. We have studied a new method that may quantitatively evaluate the performance of safety management by investigating application cases in foreign countries and doing the domestic survey of lots of companies subject to PSM regulation in Korea. This study proposes three of safety performance indices(SPI) together with the several prerequisite preconditions and the timing for application of each index. Although the first draft of SPI needs further legal support, it might help to evaluate every company's safety level. The second draft of SPI is a voluntarily evaluating method based on web-site online program. The last draft of SPI consists of a series of simple questions about 12 elements of PSM. Also each of 3 indices has differences in evaluation methodology and application area and, therefore, they may be used concurrently.
- 노동부, "PSM 이행상태평가 지침"
- 유재환 외 공역, "안전관리", 동화기술, 1999
- HSE, "RIDDOR Explained", 1996
- HSE, CHaSPI, SME Indicator, web-service: www.chaspi.info-exchange.com
- CCPS, ProSmart, web-service: www.aiche.org/CCPS/Publictions/Software/ProSmart
- 이영순, "PSM 사업성과 측정 및 효과분석", 한국산업안전공단, 2006
- HSE, "Achieving the revitalizing health and safety statistical progress report", 2005
- Meejin Kang et al, "Safety Performance Index in Chemical Industry", APSS 2007