- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Genetic Relationship in Chicken Breeds Using Molecular Co-ancestry Information
- Ahlawat, S.P.S. (National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources) ;
- Vijh, R.K. (National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources) ;
- Mishra, Bina (National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources) ;
- Kumar, S.T. Bharani (National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources) ;
- Tantia, M.S. (National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources)
- Received : 2006.10.13
- Accepted : 2007.06.04
- Published : 2008.01.01
Five chicken populations viz. Chittagong, Ghagus, Kalasthi, Kadaknath, Tellichery were genotyped using 25 highly polymorphic microsatellite loci. White leg horn was taken as an outgroup. To reveal the relationship and distinctiveness among five indigenous breeds various genetic distances based on molecular co-ancestry were estimated and multidimensional scaling was performed. The Ghagus and Kalasthi breeds were closely related and their separation was recent, whereas Chittagong had a remote ancestry with other indigenous chicken populations.
- Eding, H. and T. H. E Meuwissen. 2001. Marker based estimates of between and within population kidships for the conservation of genetic diversity. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 118:141-159. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0388.2001.00290.x
- Guo, X. and R. C. Elston. 1999. Linkage informative content of polymorphic genetic markers. Hum. Hered. 49:112-118. https://doi.org/10.1159/000022855
- Gutierrez, J. P. and F. Goyache. 2005. Molkin (version 2.0): A computer program for genetic analysis of populations using molecular coancestry information. Universidad Compultense de Madrid, Spain.
- Hedrick, P. W. 1999. Highly variable loci and their interpretation in evolutionand conservation. Evolution 53:313-318. https://doi.org/10.2307/2640768
- Chakraborty, R. and L. Jin. 1993. Determination of relatedness between individuals using DNA fingerprinting. Hum. Biol. 65:875-895.
- Country Report. 2004. Draft Country Report on Animal Genetic Resources of India. NBAGR, Karnal.
- Eding, H., R. P. M. A. Crooijmans, M. A. M. Groenen and T. H. E. Meuwissen. 2002. Assessing the contribution of breeds to genetic diversity in conservation schemes. Gnet. Sel. Evol. 34:613-633. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-34-5-613
- Alvarez, I., J. P. Gutierrez, L. J. Royo, I. Fernandez, E. Gomez, J. J. Arranz and F. Goyache. 2005. Testing the usefulness of the molecular coancestry information to assess genetic relationships in livestock using a set of Spanish sheep breed. J. Anim. Sci. 83:737-744. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.834737x
- Balloux, F. and N. Lugon-Moulin. 2002. The estimation of population differentiation with microsatellite markers. Mol. Ecol. 11:155-165. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0962-1083.2001.01436.x
- Botstein, D., R. L. White, M. Skolnick and R. W. Davis. 1980. Construction of a genetic linkage map in man using restriction fragment polymorphisms. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 32:314-331.
- Acharya, R. M. and P. N. Bhat. 1984. Livestock and poultry genetic resources of India. IVRI, Izatnagar, India.
- Wright, S. 1969. Evolution and the Genetics of populations: The Theory of Gene Frequencies, Vol. 2, Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago, II.
- Tantia, M. S., R. K. Vijh, S. T. Bharani Kumar, B. Mishra and S. P. S. Ahlawat. 2006. Genetic diversity analysis of chicken breeds of India. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. (In press).
- Vijh, R. K., A. K. Pandey, B. Mishra, P. Chaudhary, M. S. Tantia and S. P. S. Ahlawat. 2004. Estimating genetic distances in indigenous poultry germplasm using infinite allele model. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 74:534-542.
- Reynolds, J., B. S. Weir and C. C. Cockerham. 1983. Estimation of the coancestry co-eficient. Bais for the short term genetic distance. Genetics 105:767-769.
- Pandey, A. K., M. S. Tantia, D. Kumar, B. Mishra, P. Chaudhary and R. K. Vijh. 2002. Microsatellite analysis of three poultry breeds of India. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1536-1542. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1536
- Sambrook, J., E. F. Fritsch and T. Maniatis. 1989. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual 2nd Ed, Cold spring Laboratory Press, Cold spring Harbor, NY.
- Kong, H. S., J. D. Oh, J. H. Lee, K. J. Jo, B. D. Sang, C. H. Choi, S. D. Kim, S. J. Lee, S. H. Yeon, G. J. Jeon and H. K. Lee. 2006. Genetic variation and relationships of Korean native chickens and foreign breeds using 15 microsatellite markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1546-1550. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1546
- Nei, M. 1987. Moelcular evolutionary Genetics. Columbia Univ. Press, New York.
- Caballero, A. and M. A. Toro. 2002. Analysis of genetic diversity for the management of conserved subdividied populations. Conservation Genetics 3:292-299.
- Osman, S. A. M., M. Sekino, A. Nishihata, Y. Kobayashi, W. Takenaka, K. Kinoshita, T. Kuwayama, M. Nishibori, Y. Yamamoto and M. Tsudzuki. 2006. The genetic variability and relationships of Japanese and foreign chickens assessed by microsatellite DNA profiling. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1369-1378. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1369