- Volume 21 Issue 8
Data from milk performance testing were used to analyze genetic and environmental trends for purebred Tsigai, Improved Valachian and Lacaune sheep. 103,715 (Tsigai), 212,962 (Improved Valachian) and 2,196 (Lacaune) test-day records gathered by the State Breeding Institute of the Slovak Republic entered the analyses. The respective pedigree data comprised 23,724 (Tsigai), 51,401 (Improved Valachian) and 438 (Lacaune) records. The multiple-trait, mixed model methodology was used to predict the breeding values for daily milk yield, fat and protein content and to estimate the fixed and remaining random effects assumed to affect the above mentioned traits, separately for each breed. The breeding values for daily milk yield were adjusted for 150-day standardized lactation length by multiplying with the constant 150, as the breeding goal of the selection scheme in Slovakian sheep is to increase 150-day milk production and constant heritability throughout the whole lactation is assumed. The genetic trends were expressed as changes in averages of breeding values across birth years of animals. For Tsigai and Lacaune breeds, cumulative genetic changes over the analyzed period were 3.8 and 5.1 kg for 150-day milk, 0 and -0.16% for fat content and 0 and -0.12% for protein content. For Improved Valachian breed, either a low (1.6 kg for 150-day milk yield) or zero (fat and protein content) cumulative genetic change was found. The environmental trends were calculated as averages of solutions for flock-test day effect across years and months in which measurements were taken. A distinctive cyclical pattern which reflected short-time variation in milk production traits was found. Possible explanations for this phenomenon are given and discussed.
Sheep;Milk Yield;Fat and Protein Content;Animal Model;Genetic and Environmental Trends
- Jimenez, M. A. and J. J. Jurado. 2006. Analysis of the genetic progress in the Assaf Leon Breeding program. In: 13th National Meeting of Animal Genetic Improvement, Gijon, Spain. Available at: http://www.dcam.upv.es/acteon/CONGRESOS/XIII%20Reunion%20MG%20GIJON/Docs%20XIII/JIMENEZ_XIII.pdf.
- Jurado, J. J., M. Serrano and M. D. Perez-Guzman. 2006. Analysis of the genetic progress obtained in the selection program in Manchega sheep breed. ITEA (Informacion Tecnica Economica Agraria) 102:41-54.
- Cappio-Borlino, A., B. Portolano, M. Todaro, N. P. P. Macciotta, P. Giaccone and G. Pulina. 1997. Lactation curves of Valle del Belice dairy ewes for yields of milk, fat and protein estimated with test day models. J. Dairy Sci. 80:3023-3029. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76269-6
- Groeneveld, E., M. Kovac and T. Wang. 1993. PEST, multivariate prediction and estimation. Version 3.1. University of Illinois, USA.
- ICAR. 2005. International agreement of recording practices. Available at: http://www.icar.org.
- Barillet, F., C. Marie, M. Jacquin, G. Lagriffoul and J. M. Astruc. 2001a. The French Lacaune dairy sheep breed: use in France and abroad in the last 40 years. Livest. Prod. Sci. 71:17-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00237-8
- Barillet, F., R. Rupp, S. Mignon-Grasteau, J. M. Astruc and M. Jacquin. 2001b. Genetic analysis for mastitis resistance and milk somatic cell score in French Lacaune dairy sheep. Genet. Sel. Evol. 33:397-415. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-33-4-397
- Basdagianni, Z., G. Banos, Z. Abas, G. Arsenos, E. Sinapis and D. Zygoyiannis. 2004. Evaluation and definition of reference lactation length in Chios dairy sheep. In: Proceedings of the 34th International Committee on Animal Recording session, Sousse, Tunisia, 121-125.
- Cadavez, V. A. P., S. Malovrh and M. Kovac. 2007. Modelling lactation curve in dairy sheep. In: Proceedings of the 58th Annual Meeting of the EAAP, Dublin, Ireland, 255 (Abstr.)
- Banos, G., G. Arsenos, Z. Abas and Z. Basdagianni. 2005. Population parameter estimation of daily milk yield of the Chios sheep using test-day random regression and Gibbs sampling. Anim. Sci. 81:233-238.
- Barillet, F., D. Boichard, A. Barbat, J. M. Astruc and B. Bonaiti. 1992. Use of an animal model for genetic evaluation of the Lacaune dairy sheep. Livest. Prod. Sci. 33:287-299.
- Barillet, F., E. Manfredi and J. M. Elsen. 1998. Genetic variations and associations for improving milk production and milk product qualities in sheep and goats. In: Proceedings of the Sixth World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, Armidale, Australia, pp. 129-136.
- Ali, T. E. and L. Schaeffer. 1987. Accounting for covariances among test day milk yields in dairy cows. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 67:637-644. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas87-067
- Anonymous. 1999. Processing the sheep data. The State Breeding Institute of the Slovak Republic, Bratislava.
- Astruc, J. M., F. Barillet, A. Barbat, V. Clement and D. Boichard. 2002. Genetic evaluation of dairy sheep in France. In: Proceedings of the Seventh World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, Montpellier, France, CDROM Communication No. 01-45.
- Bai, J., Q. Zhang, J. Li, E-J. Dao and X. Jia. 2006. Estimates of genetic parameters and genetic trends for production traits of inner Mongolian White Cashmere goat. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:13-18.
- Legarra, A. and E. Ugarte. 2004. A rationale to introduce more traits in the Latxa breeding program. In: Proceedings of the 55th Annual Meeting of the EAAP, Bled, Slovenia, 237 (Abstr.)
- Komprej, A., G. Gorjanc, S. Malovrh, M. Kovac and D. Kompan. 2007. Heritability estimates for milk traits in Slovenian dairy sheep by random regression models. In: Proceedings of the 58th Annual Meeting of the EAAP, Dublin, Ireland, 246 (Abstr.)
- Kovac, M. and E. Groeneveld. 1990. Genetic and environmental trends in German swine herdbook populations. J. Anim. Sci. 68:3523-3535. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.68113523x
- Krupa, E. 2006. Genetic analysis of beef cattle in the Slovak Republic. PhD. thesis, Slovak University of Agriculture, Nitra, Slovakia.
- Oravcova, M., M. Margetin, D. Peskovicova, J. Dano, M. Milerski, L. Hetenyi and P. Polak. 2007. Factors affecting ewe's milk fat and protein content and relationships between milk yield and milk components. Czech J. Anim. Sci. 52:189-198.
- Peskovicova, D., E. Groeneveld, M. Kumicik, L. Hetenyi and P. Demo. 1999. Genetic and environmental trends for production traits in the Slovakian pig population. Czech J. Anim. Sci. 44:501-509.
- Moioli, B. M. and A. M. Pilla. 1994. Genetic evaluation of dairy sheep with an animal model for annual or partial lactation production. J. Dairy Sci. 77:609-615. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)76990-3
- Oravcova, M., E. Groeneveld, M. Kovac, D. Peskovicova and M. Margetin. 2005. Estimation of genetic and environmental parameters of milk production traits in Slovak purebred sheep using test day model. Small Rumin. Res. 56:113-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2004.03.002
- Sanna, S. R., A. Carta and A. Casu. 1997. (Co)variance component estimates for milk composition traits in Sarda dairy sheep using a bivariate animal model. Small Rumin. Res. 25:77-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(96)00949-2
- Serrano, M., M. D. Perez-Guzman, V. Montoro and J. J. Jurado. 1996. Genetic parameters estimation and selection progress for milk yield in Manchega sheep. Small Rumin. Res. 23:51-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(96)00894-2
- STN 46 6213. 1997. Milk performance and heredity testing. Slovak Standards Institute, Bratislava.
- Ugarte, E., E. Urarte, F. Arrese, J. Arranz, I. B. De Heredia and D. Gabina. 1995. Technical organization and economic needs of the breeding programme of Latxa and Carranzana dairy sheep in the Spanish Basque Country. Options Mediterraneennes "Strategies for sheep and goat breeding" (Ed. D. Gabiña), CIHEAM-IAMZ, Zaragoza. Vol. 11:155-164.
- Pinelli, F., P. A. Oltenacu, G. Iannolino, H. Grosu, A. D'Amico, M. Scimonelli, G. Genna, G. Calagna and V. Ferrantelli. 2001. Design and implementation of a genetic improvement program for Comisana dairy sheep in Sicily. Available at: http://babcock.wisc.edu/sheep-goat/dairysheep.en.html.
- Sanna, S. R., A. Sanna, A. Carta and A. Casu. 1995. The Sarda dairy sheep production system: balance and perspectives of the breeding programme. Options Mediterraneennes "Strategies for sheep and goat breeding" (Ed. D. Gabina), CIHEAMIAMZ, Zaragoza. Vol. 11:89-95.
- Keskin, I. and B. Dag. 2006. Comparison of different matematical models for describing the complete lactations of Akkamaran ewes in Turkey. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1551-1555. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1551
- Kominakis, A. P., E. Bogdakis and K. Koutsotolis. 2002. Genetic aspects of persistency of milk yield in Boutsico dairy sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:315-320. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.315
- Legarra, A., E. Ugarte and F. Arrese. 2003. Analysis of the genetic progress in the Latxa breed breeding program. ITEA (Informacion Tecnica Economica Agraria) 99:192-202.
- Oravcova, M., M. Margetin, D. Peskovicova, J. Dano, M. Milerski, L. Hetenyi and P. Polak. 2006. Factors affecting milk yield and ewe's lactation curves estimated with test-day models. Czech J. Anim. Sci. 51:483-490.
- Ugarte, E., E. Urarte, F. Arrese, J. Arranz, L. Silio and C. Rodriguez. 1996. Genetic parameters and trends for milk production of Blond-Faced Latxa sheep using Bayesian analysis. J. Dairy Sci. 79:2268-2277. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(96)76604-3
- Variance Components and Genetic Parameters Estimated for Fat and Protein Content in Individual Months of Lactation: The Case of Tsigai Sheep vol.29, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0142
- Estimates of genetic parameters and genetic trends for growth, reproduction, milk production and milk composition traits of Awassi sheep pp.1751-732X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731118001374