- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Polymorphism of Growth Hormone GH1-AluI in Jersey Cows and Its Effect on Milk Yield and Composition
- Dario, C. (Department of Health and Welfare of Animals, University of Studies of Bari- Italy) ;
- Carnicella, D. (Department of Health and Welfare of Animals, University of Studies of Bari- Italy) ;
- Ciotola, F. (University of Catanzaro “Magna Graecia”, Catanzaro -Italy) ;
- Peretti, V. (Department of Animal Science and Food Inspection, University Federico II, Naples - Italy) ;
- Bufano, G. (Department of Health and Welfare of Animals, University of Studies of Bari- Italy)
- Received : 2006.10.04
- Accepted : 2007.06.18
- Published : 2008.01.01
To analyze genetic effects on milk production traits, 164 unrelated Italian Jersey cows reared in 15 farms located in Southern Italy were characterized at the growth hormone locus. Using a Polymerase Chain Reaction-Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism protocol all three possible genotypes for the Leucine/Valine polymorphism were identified even if in the considered population the number of homozygous animals (Leucine/Leucine = 36; Valine/Valine = 28) was smaller than Leucine/Valine (n = 100) cows; the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium was verified. Statistical analysis showed that daily milk yield in the Leucine/Leucine genotype was higher (p<0.01) than in Leucine/Valine (22.76 kg vs. 16.96 kg ); cows with Leucine/Valine genotype differed significantly from Leucine/Leucine and Valine/Valine genotypes particularly in fat (4.95% vs. 4.13% and 4.82%, respectively) and protein content (4.00% vs. 3.47% and 3.79%, respectively). No significant effect on lactation length was observed.
- Woychik, R. P., S. A. Camper, R. H. Lyons, S. Horovitz, E. C. Goodwin and F. M. Rottman. 1982. Cloning and nucleotide sequencing of the bovine growth hormone gene. Nucl. Acids Res. 10:7197-7210. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/10.22.7197
- Yao, J., S. E. Aggrey, D. Zadworny, J. F. Hayes, U. Kuhnlein. 1996. Sequence variations in the bovine growth hormone gene characterized by single-strand conformation polymorphism (SSCP) analysis and their association with milk production traits in Holstein. Genetics 144:1809-1816.
- Van der Werf, J. H. J., F. J. Verburg and G. J. Garssen. 1996. Evidence for a strong effect of the Alu-I polymorphism in the growth hormone gene on yield characteristics in dairy cattle. Proc. 47th EAAP Lillehammer, Norway, 310.
- Vanderkooi, W. K., M. J. Vandehaar, B. K. Sharma, M. Binelli, H. A. Tucker, R. M. Akers and W. M. Moseley. 1995. Comparison of growth hormone-releasing factor and somatotropin: the somatotropic axis in lactating primiparous cows. J. Dairy Sci. 78:2140-2149. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76841-2
- Vukasinovic, N., S. K. Denise and A. E. Freeman. 1999. Association of growth hormone loci with milk yield trait in Holstein bulls. J. Dairy Sci. 82:788-794. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75297-5
- Sabour, M. P., C. Y. Lin and C. Smith. 1997. Association of genetic variants of bovine growth hormone with milk production traits in Holstein cattle. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 114:435-442. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.1997.tb00529.x
- SAS User's Guide Statistics, Version 8.0 Edition 1999. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC.
- Schams, D., F. Graf, B. Graule, M. Abele and S. Prokopp. 1991. Hormonal changes during lactation in cows of three different breeds. Livest. Prod. Sci. 27:285-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(91)90124-9
- Schlee, P., R. Graml, O. Rottmann and F. Pirchner. 1994. Influence of growth hormone genotypes on breeding values of Simmental bulls. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 111:253-256. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.1994.tb00465.x
- Lucy, M. C., S. D. Hauser, P. J. Eppard, G. G. Krivi, J. H. Clark, D. E. Bauman and R. J. Collier. 1993. Variants of somatotropin in cattle: gene frequencies in major dairy breeds and associated milk production. Dom. Anim. Endocrin. 10:325-333. https://doi.org/10.1016/0739-7240(93)90036-B
- Lucy, M. C., S. D. Hauser, P. J. Eppard, G. G. Krivi and R. J. Collier. 1991. Genetic polymorphism within the bovine somatotropin (bST) gene detected by polymerase chain reaction and endonuclease digestion. J. Dairy Sci. 74(1):284.
- Reis, C., D. Navas, M. Pereira and A. Cravador. 2001. Growth hormone AluI polymorphism analysis in eight Portuguese bovine breeds. Arch. Zootec. 50:41-48.
- Eppard, P. J., L. A. Bentle, B. N. Violand, S. Ganguli, R. L. Hintz, L. Kung, G. G. Krivi and G. M. Lanza. 1992. Comparison of the galactopoietic response to pituitary-derived and recombinant-derived variants of bovine growth hormone. J. Endocrin. 132:47-56. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1320047
- Falconer, D. S. and T. F. C. Mackay. 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th ed. Longman Group Ltd., Essex, UK.
- Haley, C. S. 1995. Livestock QTLs - Bringing home the bacon? Trends Genetics 11:488-492. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-9525(00)89158-1
- Chou, K. C. and C. Zheng. 1992. Strong electrostatic loop-helix interaction in bundle motif protein structures. Biophys. J. 63: 682-688 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3495(92)81653-3
- Dario, C., D. Carnicella and G. Bufano. 2005. A note on the growth hormone (GH1-AluI) polymorphism in Podolian cattles in Southern Italy. Anim. Sci. Pap. Rep. 23(1):43-49
- Abdel-Meguid, S. S., H. S. Shieh, W. W. Smith, H. E. Dayringer, B. N. Violand and B. A. Bentle. 1987. Three-dimensional structure of a genetically engineered variant of porcine growth hormone. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA. 84:6434-6437. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.84.18.6434
- Aston, R., D. A. Rathjen, A. T. Holder, V. Bender, T. E. Trigg, K. Cowan, J. S. Edwards and W. B. Cowden. 1991. Antigenic structure of bovine growth hormone: Location of a growth enhancing region. Molec. Immun. 28:41-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/0161-5890(91)90085-X
- Dybus, A. 2002. Associations between Leu/Val polymorphism of growth hormone gene and milk production traits in Black-and- White cattle. Arch. Tierz. Dummerstorf 45(5):421-428
- Loevendahl, P. 2004. Polymorphism of the somatotropic axis genes in cattle: physiology and productivity. Anim. Sci. Pap. Rep. 22(1):101-108.
- Sorensen, P., R. Grochowska, L. Holm, M. Henryon and P. Lovendahl. 2002. Polymorphism in the bovine growth hormone gene affects endocrine release in dairy calves. J. Dairy Sci. 85:1887-1893. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74263-X
- Polymorphisms in growth hormone gene and their associations with calf weight in Japanese Black cattle vol.81, pp.6, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2010.00783.x
- Bovine growth hormone gene polymorphism affects stress response in Japanese Black cattle vol.85, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12212