- Volume 21 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effects of Free-range Farming on Carcass and Meat Qualities of Black-feathered Taiwan Native Chicken
- Cheng, F.Y. (Graduate Institute of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University) ;
- Huang, C.W. (Graduate Institute of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University) ;
- Wan, T.C. (Graduate Institute of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University) ;
- Liu, Y.T. (Graduate Institute of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University) ;
- Lin, L.C. (Graduate Institute of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University) ;
- Lou Chyr, Chu-Ying (Graduate Institute of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University)
- Received : 2008.01.31
- Accepted : 2008.03.17
- Published : 2008.08.01
The effects of free-range farming, compared to a conventional production system, on carcass and meat qualities were studied using black-feathered Taiwan native chickens. Twenty 16-week old females were purchased separately from a free-range farm and a conventional production farm and used for this study. The results showed similarities in the live weight (roughly 2.1 kg), dressing percentage (69%) and meat percentage (19%) of deboned leg quarter. Significant differences (p<0.05) found for the free-range chickens included: a higher percentage of meat for the breast, an increased crude protein content and chewiness value for the breast, but decreased crude fat content and lower hardness and fracturablility values for the leg quarter. Significantly higher L* values were found for the breast and leg meat of conventionally produced chickens, whereas no significant differences were found for WHC and purge loss between the breast and the leg, and between the two production systems as well. Results of sensory evaluation showed a significant preference for leg over breast meat (p<0.05). The scores of all the attributes including aroma, flavor, firmness, tenderness, juiciness and overall acceptability of leg meat from free-range chickens were slightly higher than for conventional chickens, while the reverse was true for breast meat, though no significant difference could be found. Free-range Taiwan native chicken appeared to yield the best of the results, with flavorful yet tender leg meat for higher sensory satisfaction, and high-protein but low-fat breast meat for healthier diet choice.
- Abril, M., M. M. Campo, A. Onenc, C. Sanudo, P. Alberti and A. I. Negueruela. 2001. Beef colour evolution as a function of ultimate pH. Meat Sci. 58:69-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00133-9
- Angood, K. M., J. D. Wood, G. R. Nute, F. M. Whittington, S. I. Hughes and P. R. Sheard. 2008. A comparison of organic and conventionally-produced lamb purchased from three major UK supermarkets: Price, eating quality and fatty acid composition. Meat Sci. 78:176-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.06.002
- Moritz, J. S., A. S. Parsons, N. P. Buchanan, N. J. Baker, J. Jaczynski, O. J. Gekara and W. B. Bryan. 2005. Synthetic methionine and feed restriction effects on performance and meat quality of organically reared broiler chickens. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 14:521-535. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/14.3.521
- Nassar, A. M. and W. H. Emam. 2002. Biogenic amines in chicken meat products in relation to bacterial load, pH value and sodium chloride content. Nahrung Food 46:197-199. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-3803(20020501)46:3<197::AID-FOOD197>3.0.CO;2-1
- Nilzen, V., J. Babol, P. C. Dutta, N. Lundeheim, A. C. Enfalt and K. Lundstrom. 2001. Free range rearing of pigs with access to pasture grazing-effect on fatty acid composition and lipid oxidation products. Meat Sci. 58:267-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00164-9
- Musa, H. H., G. H. Chen, J. H. Cheng, E. S. Shuiep and W. B. Bao. 2006. Breed and sex effect on meat quality of chicken. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 5:566-568. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2006.566.568
- Sutton, D. S., M. S. Brewer and F. K. McKeith. 1997. Effects of sodium lactate and sodium phosphate on the physical and sensory characteristics of pumped pork loins. J. Muscle Foods 8:111-112. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1997.tb00382.x
- Statistical Analysis Software (SAS). 2006. The SAS system for Windows (Release 9.1). SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Qiao, M., D. L. Fletcher, D. P. Smith and J. K. Northcutt. 2001. The effect of broiler breast meat color on pH, moisture, waterholding capacity, and emulsification capacity. Poult. Sci. 80:676-680. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.5.676
- Sather, A. P., S. D. M. Jones, A. L. Schaefer, J. Colyn and W. M. Robertson. 1997. Feedlot performance, carcass composition and meat quality of free range reared pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 77:225-232. https://doi.org/10.4141/A96-093
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC). 1995. Official Methods of Analysis, 15th. edn. AOAC, Arlington, VA.
- CIE. 1976. Supplement No. 2 to CIE Publication No. 15 (E-1.3.1) 1971/(TC-1-3). Recommendations on uniform color spacescolor difference equations, psychometric color terms.
- Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage, Paris, France. COA. 2006. Agriculture Year Book. Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuen, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Chao, C. H., M. J. Lin, Y. L. Lai, M. L. Su, Y. C. Ho, C. F. Chen and Y. P. Lee. 2005. The growth performances of commercial red-feathered and black-feathered Taiwan Country Chicken. Chin. Soc. Anim. Sci. 34:65-77.
- Chen, K. L., T. Y. Hsieh and P. W. S. Chiou. 2006. Caponization effects on growth performance and lipid metabolism in Taiwan country chicken cockerels. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:438-443. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.438
- Chen, K. L., H. J. Chang, C. K. Yang, S. H. You, H. D. Jenq and B. Yu. 2007. Effect of dietary inclusion of dehydrated food waste products on Taiwan Native Chicken (Taishi No. 13). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:754-760. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.754
- Boulianne, M. and A. J. King. 1998. Meat color and biochemical characteristics of unacceptable dark-colored broiler chicken carcasses. J. Food Sci. 63:759-762. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1998.tb17894.x
- Bourne, M. C. 1976. Texture profile analysis. Food Technol. 32:62-66.
- Castellini, C., C. Mugnai and A. D. Bosco. 2002. Effect of organic production system on broiler carcass and meat quality. Meat Sci. 60:219-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00124-3
- Lewis, P. D., G. C. Perry, L. J. Farmer and R. L. S. Patterson. 1997. Responses of two genotypes of chicken to the diets and stocking densities typical of UK and label rouge production systems. I. performance. Behaviour and carcass composition. Meat Sci. 45:501-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00084-8
- Lei, S. and G. Van Beek. 1997. Influence of activity and dietary energy on broiler performance. Carcase yield and sensory quality. Br. Poult. Sci. 38:183-189. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669708417966
- Farmer, L. J., G. C. Perry, P. D. Lewis, G. R. Nute, J. R. Piggott and R. L. S. Patterson. 1997. Responses of two genotypes of chicken to the diets and stocking densities of convert ional UK and label rouge production system. II. Sensory attributes. Meat Sci. 47:77-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00040-5
- Karakaya, M., C. Saricoban and M. T. Yilmaz. 2005. The effect of various types of poultry pre- and post-rigor meats on emulsification capacity, water-holding capacity and cooking loss. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 220:283-286. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-004-1068-1
- Lee, H. F. and L. C. Lin. 1993. Studies on difference in appearance and meat quality of Taiwan Country chicken and broiler. Food Sci. 20:265-276. (In Chinese).
- Van Oeckel, M. J., N. Warnanats and C. V. Boucque. 1999. Comparison of different methods for measuring water holding capacity and juiciness of pork versus on-line screening methods. Meat Sci. 51:313-320. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00123-5
- Warris, P. D. 2000. Meat Science. An Introductory Text. New York: CABI Pub. Inc.
- Ali, S., G. H. Kang, H. S. Yang, J. Y. Jeong, Y. H. Hwang, G. B. Park and S. T. Joo. 2007. A comparison of meat characteristics between duck and chicken breast. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:1002-1006. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.1002
- Tsai, S. F., C. Y. Lin, J. J. Lu and R. G. R. Chou. 2006. Postmortem proteolysis of breast and leg muscles from Taiwan colored chickens and Silkie Bantams. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:739-743. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.739
- Effect of Free-range Rearing on Meat Composition, Physical Properties and Sensory Evaluation in Taiwan Game Hens vol.27, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13646
- Relationships between Descriptive Sensory Attributes and Physicochemical Analysis of Broiler and Taiwan Native Chicken Breast Meat vol.28, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0275
- Influences of end-point heating temperature on the quality attributes of chicken meat vol.57, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668.2016.1216942
- QUALIDADE DA CARNE DE AVES DA RAÇA RODHE ISLAND RED CRIADAS EM SISTEMA ALTERNATIVO vol.18, pp.0, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1590/1089-6891v18e-37834