- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Breeder Age and Stocking Density on Performance, Carcass Characteristics and Some Stress Parameters of Broilers
- Onbasilar, E.E. (Ankara University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Science) ;
- Poyraz, O. (Ankara University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Science) ;
- Cetin, S. (Atatürk University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Microbiology)
- Received : 2007.07.21
- Accepted : 2007.10.11
- Published : 2008.02.01
The aim of this study was to determine the effects of breeder age and stocking density on performance, carcass characteristics and some stress parameters (H-L ratio, serum glucose, cholesterol and triglyceride levels, tonic immobility test (TI), antibody production, relative asymmetry (RA) and external appearances). This experiment was carried out with 705 one-day old male broiler chicks (Ross 308) obtained from three different ages of broiler breeder (32, 48 and 61 wks). Each age group was randomly divided into two stocking density groups (11.9 and 17.5 broilers per
Supported by : Ankara University Research Fund
- Jones, R. B. and J. M. Faure. 1980. Tonic immobility (righting time) in the domestic fowl: effects of various methods of induction. IRSC Med. Sci. 8:184-185.
- Jones, R. B. 1986. Tonic immobility reaction of the domestic fowl : A review. Worlds Poult. Sci. J. 42:82-96. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19860008
- Noble, R. C., F. Lonsdale, K. Connor and D. Brown. 1986. Changes in lipid metabolism in the chick embryo with parent age. Poult. Sci. 65:409-419. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0650409
- Havenstein, G. B., P. R. Ferket and M. A. Qureshi. 2003. Carcass composition and yield of 1957 versus 2001 broilers when fed representative 1957 and 2001 broiler diets. Poult. Sci. 82:1509-1518. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/82.10.1509
- Ipek, A. and U. Sahan. 2006. Effects of cold stress on broiler performance and ascites susceptibility. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:734-738. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.734
- Gross, W. B. and H. S. Siegel. 1983. Evaluation of the heterophil/lymphocyte ratio as a measure of stress in chickens. Avian Dis. 27:972-979. https://doi.org/10.2307/1590198
- Puron, D., R. Santamaria, J. C. Segavra and J. L. Alamilla. 1995. Broiler performance at different stocking densities. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 4:55-60. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/4.1.55
- Puvadolpirod, S. and J. P. Thaxton. 2000. Model of physiological stress in chickens 3. Temporal patterns of response. Poult. Sci. 76:377-382.
- Peebles, E. D., S. M. Doyle, T. Pansky, P. D. Gerard, M. A. Latour, C. R. Boyle and T. W. Smith. 1999b. Effects of breeder age and dietary fat on subsequent broiler performance. 2. Slaughter yield. Poult. Sci. 78:512-515. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/78.4.512
- Onbasilar, E. E., H. Erol, Z. Cantekin and U. Kaya. 2007. Influence of intermittent lighting on broiler performance, incidence of tibial dyschondroplasia, tonic immobility, some blood parameters and antibody production. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20(4):550-555. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.550
- Peebles, E. D., S. M. Doyle, T. Pansky, P. D. Gerard, M. A. Latour, C. R. Boyle and T. W. Smith. 1999a. Effects of breeder age and dietary fat on subsequent broiler performance. 1.Growth, mortality, and feed conversion. Poult. Sci. 78:505-511. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/78.4.505
- McGovern, R. H., J. J. R. Feddes, F. E. Robinson and J. A. Hanson. 1999. Growth performance, carcass characteristics and the incidence of ascites in broilers in response to feed restriction and litter oiling. Poult. Sci. 78:522-528. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/78.4.522
- Moller, A. P. 1998. Developmental instability as a general measure of stress. Pages 181-213 in Advances in the study of behaviour. Vol 27 (Ed. A. P. Moller, M. Milinski and P. J. B. Slater). Academic Press, San Diego.
- Marin, R. H., I. D. Martijena and A. Arce. 1997. Effect of diazepam and a beta-carboline on open-field and T-maze behaviors in 2 day old chicks. Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 58:915-921. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-3057(97)00299-2
- Marin, R. H., R. B. Jones, D. A. Garcia and A. Arce. 1999. Early T-maze behaviour and subsequent growth in commercial broiler flocks. Br. Poult. Sci. 40:434-438. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669987160
- Wilson, H. 1991. Interrelationships of egg size, chick size, posthatching growth and hatchability. World's Poult. Sci. J. 47:7-20.
- Wyatt, C. L., W. D. Weaver, Jr. and W. L. Beane. 1985. Influence of egg size, eggshell quality and posthatch holding time on broiler performance. Poult. Sci. 64:2049-2055. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0642049
- Yalcin, S., S. Ozkan, M. Cabuk and P. B. Siegel. 2003. Criteria for evaluating husbandry practices to alleviate heat stress in broilers. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 12:382-388. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/12.3.382
- Yalcin, S., S. Ozkan, M. Cabuk, J. Buyse, E. Decuypere and P. B. Siegel. 2005. Pre and postnatal conditioning induced thermotolerance on body weight, physiological responses and relative asymmetry of broilers originating from young and old breeder flocks. Poult. Sci. 84:967-976. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.6.967
- Shanawany, M. 1987. Hatching weight in reation to egg weight in domestic birds. World's Poult. Sci. J. 43:107-115. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19870008
- Shanawany, M. M. 1988. Broiler performance under high stocking densities. Br. Poult. Sci. 29:43-52. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668808417025
- Tauson, R. 1984. Plumage condition in SCWL laying hens kept in conventional cages of different designs. Acta Agr. Scand. 34:221-230. https://doi.org/10.1080/00015128409435391
- Dozier III, W. A., J. P. Thaxton, J. L. Purswell, H. A. Olanrewaju, S. L. Branton and W. B. Roush. 2006. Stocking density effects on male broilers grown to 1.8 kilograms of body weight. Poult. Sci. 85:344-351. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.2.344
- Feddes, J. J. R., E. J. Emmanuel and M. J. Zuideft. 2002. Broiler performance, body weight variance, feed and water intake and carcass quality at different stocking densities. Poult. Sci. 81:774-779. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/81.6.774
- Freire, R., L. J. Wilkins, F. Short and C. J. Nicol. 2003. Behaviour and welfare of individual laying hens in a non-cage system. Br. Poult. Sci. 44:22-29. https://doi.org/10.1080/0007166031000085391
- Allan, W. H. and R. E. Gough. 1974. A standard haemagglutination inhibition test for Newcastle disease (1) A comparison of macro and micro methods. Vet. Rec. 95:120-123. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.95.6.120
- Dawson, B. and R. G. Trapp. 2001. Basic and clinical biostatistics. 3rd ed. Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division, New York, 2001.
- Freeman, B. M., A. J. Kettlewell, A. C. C. Manning and P. S. Berry. 1984. Stress of transportation for broilers. Vet. Rec. 114:286-287. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.114.12.286
- Moller, A. P., G. S. Sanotra and K. S. Vestergaard. 1999. Developmental instability and light regime in chickens. (Gallus gallus). Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 62:57-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(98)00213-5
- Ruiz-Feria, A. C. and S. Abdukalykova. 2006. Arginine and vitamine E improve the cellular response of broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 5:121-127. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2006.121.127