- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Discrimination of Korean Cattle (Hanwoo) Using DNA Markers Derived from SNPs in Bovine Mitochondrial and SRY Genes
- Yoon, D. ;
- Kwon, Y.S. ;
- Lee, K.Y. ;
- Jung, W.Y. ;
- Sasazaki, S. ;
- Mannen, H. ;
- Jeon, J.T. ;
- Lee, J.H.
- Received : 2007.04.11
- Accepted : 2007.07.22
- Published : 2008.01.01
In order to distinguish Korean cattle (Hanwoo) beef from the imported beef from Australia in Korean markets, DNA markers based on PCR-RFLP from mitochondrial genes and SRY gene were applied. A total of 2,826 beef samples comprising 1,495 Hanwoo and 1,331 foreign cattle breeds were obtained in Korea. An 801 bp fragment of the SRY gene on the bovine Y chromosome, a 343 bp fragment of ND4 gene and a 528 bp fragment of ND5 gene in the bovine mtDNA were amplified by PCR and digested with three restriction enzymes, MseI, HpyCH4III and Tsp509I, respectively. The results showed that Bos taurus (T) type was the majority in Hanwoo by combining three markers (99.5%). However, 78.2% of Bos indicus (I) type was observed in the imported beef samples. These results indicated that three markers used in this study will be used as valuable markers for discriminating imported beef against Hanwoo.
Hanwoo;Bos taurus;Bos indicus;PCR-RFLP;SRY;ND4;ND5
- Yoon, D., E. W. Park, S. H. Lee, H. K. Lee, S. J. Oh, I. C. Cheong and K. C. Hong. 2005. Assessment of genetic diversity and relationships between Korean cattle and other cattle breeds by microsatellite loci. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 47(3):341-354. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.3.341
- Zhang, Y., D. Sun, Y. Yu and Y. Zhang. 2006. A Y-linked SNP in SRY gene differentiates Chinese indigenous swamp buffalo and introduced river buffalo. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19(9): 1240-1244. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1240
- Sasazaki, S., T. Imada, H. Mutoh, K. Yoshizawa and H. Mannen. 2006. Breed discrimination using DNA markers derived from AFLP in Japanese beef cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19(8):1106-1110. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1106
- Sasazaki, S., H. Mutoh, K. Tsurifune and H. Mannen. 2007. Development of DNA markers for discrimination between domestic and imported beef. Meat Sci. 77(2):161-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.02.024
- Kim, T. H., D. H. Yoon, E. W. Park, H. Y. Lee, S. J. Oh, I. C. Cheong, T. Y. Thak, K. N. Kim and J. Y. Han. 2000. A study on genotyping frequencies of the bovine melanocortin receptor 1 (MC1R) in cattle breeds. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 42(6):735-744.
- Lee, S. S., Y. H. Yang, S. Y. Kang, W. Y. Oh, B. S. Yang, S. B. Ko, S. J. Oh and K. I. Kim. 2000. Comparison of the genotypes and frequencies of MSH receptor (MC1R) gene in Korean cattle, Cheju native black cattle, Japanese black and Japanese brown cattle. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 42(3):253-260.
- Mannen, H., M. Kohno, Y. Nagata, S. Tsuji, D.G. Bradley, J. S. Yeo, D. Nyamsamba, Y. Zagdsuren, M. Yokohama, K. Nomura and T. Amano. 2004. Independent mitochondrial origin and historical genetic differentiation in North Eastern Asian cattle. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 32:539-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2004.01.010
- Anderson, S., M. H. L. de Bruijn, A. R. Coulson, I. C. Eperon, F. Sanger and I. G. Young. 1982. Complete sequence of bovine mitochondrial DNA. Conserved features of the mammalian mitochondrial genome. J. Mol. Biol. 156(4):683-717. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-2836(82)90137-1
- Hai-Guo, J., Z. Yu-min and Z. Gou-li. 2005. Analysis of microsatellite DNA polymorphisms in five china native cattle breeds and application to population genetic studies. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18(12):1696-1700. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1696
- AGHR polymorphism and its associations with carcass traits in Harrwoo cattle vol.31, pp.1, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03191136
- Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Analysis of the COI Gene in Korean Native Chicken vol.36, pp.1, 2009, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2009.36.1.085
- Genetic diversity and divergence among Korean cattle breeds assessed using a BovineHD single-nucleotide polymorphism chip vol.31, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0419
Supported by : Korean Science & Engineering Foundation