- Volume 21 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Genetic Structure of Mongolian Goat Populations Using Microsatellite Loci Analysis
- Takahashi, H. ;
- Nyamsamba, D. ;
- Mandakh, B. ;
- Zagdsuren, Yo. ;
- Amano, T. ;
- Nomura, K. ;
- Yokohama, M. ;
- Ito, S. ;
- Minezawa, M.
- Received : 2007.05.19
- Accepted : 2007.12.02
- Published : 2008.07.01
We studied genetic diversity and relationships among Mongolian goat populations on the basis of microsatellite DNA polymorphisms. DNA samples from eight populations (Bayandelger, Ulgii Red, Zavkhan Buural, Sumber, Zalaajinst White, Erchim Black, Dorgon, and Gobi Gurvan Saikhan) from geographically distinct areas of Mongolia were analyzed by using 10 microsatellite DNA markers. Since the 10 markers were highly polymorphic, the genetic characteristics of these native goat populations could be estimated. Genetic diversity within populations, as estimated by the expected heterozygosities, was high, ranging from 0.719 to 0.746, but genetic differentiation between populations was low, representing only 1.7% of the total genetic variation. The results suggest that Mongolian native goat populations still have a semi-wild genetic structure reflecting traditional Mongolian nomadism and the short history of artificial selection. The genetic relationships among the populations were not clear in the neighbor-joining tree generated from the modified Cavalli-Sforza chord genetic distances. By using principal components analysis, the five core populations of Mongolian native goats (Bayandelger, Ulgii Red, Zavkhan Buural, Sumber, and Dorgon) and the populations crossed with Russian breeds (Zalaajinst White, Erchim Black, and Gobi Gurvan Saikhan) were distinguished. There was no correlation between genetic relationships among the populations and the geographical distribution of the populations.
- Laval, G., N. Iannuccelli, C. Legault, D. Milan, M. A. M. Groenen, E. Giuffra, L. Andersson, P. H. Nissen, C. B. Jorgensen, P. Beekmann, H. Geldermann, J. Foulley, C. Chevalet and L. Olliver. 2000. Genetic diversity of eleven European pig breeds. Genet. Sel. Evol. 32:187-203. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-32-2-187
- Ma, R. Z., J. E. Beever, Y. Da, C. A. Green, I. Russ, C. Park, D. W. Heyen, R. E. Everts, S. R. Fisher, K. M. Overton, A. J. Teale, S. J. Kemp, H. C. Hines, G. Guerin and H. A. Lewin. 1996. A male linkage map of the cattle (Bos taurus) genome. J. Hered. 87:261-271. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jhered.a022999
- Kemp, S. J., O. Hishida, J. Wambugu, A. Rink, M. Longeri, R. Z. Ma, Y. Da, H. A. Lewin, W. Barendse and A. J. Teale. 1995. A panel of polymorphic bovine, ovine and caprine microsatellite markers. Anim. Genet. 26:299-306. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1995.tb02663.x
- Georges, M. and J. M. Massey. 1992. Polymorphic DNA markers in Bovidae. Patent WO 92/13102.
- Goudet, J. 2001. FSTAT (Version 2.9.3.). Institute of Ecology, Lausanne CH-1015, Dorigny, Switzerland.
- Crawford, A. M., K. G. Dodds, A. J. Ede, C. A. Pierson, G. W. Montgomery, H. G. Garmonsway, A. E. Beattie, K. Davies, J. F. Maddox, S. W. Kappes, R. W. Stone, T. C. Nguyen, J. M. Penty, E. A. Lord, J. E. Broom, J. Buitkamp, W. Schwaiger, J. T. Epplen, P. Matthew, M. E. Matthews, K. J. Beh and D. F. Hill. 1995. An autosomal genetic linkage map of the sheep genome. Genetics 140:703-724.
- Bishop, M. D., S. M. Kappes, J. W. Keele, R. T. Stone, S. L. F. Sunden, G. A. Hawkins, S. Solinas-Toldo, R. Fries, M. D. Grosz, J. Yoo and C. W. Beattie. 1994. A genetic linkage map for cattle. Genetics 136:619-639.
- Buchanan, F. C. and A. M. Crawford. 1993. Ovine microsatellites at the OarFCB11, OarFCB128, OarFCB193, OarFCB266 and OarFCB304 loci. Anim. Genet. 24:145. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1993.tb00269.x
- Canon, J., M. L. Checa, C. Carleos, J. L. Vega-Pla, M. Vallejo and S. Dunner. 2000. The genetic structure of Spanish Celtic horse breeds inferred from microsatellite data. Anim. Genet. 31:39-48. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.2000.00591.x
- Bhebhe, E., J. Kogi, D. A. Holder, E. Arevalo, J. N. Derr, R. A. Linn, J. F. Taylor, S. K. Davis and F. Ruvuna. 1994. Caprine microsatellite dinucleotide repeat polymorphisms at the SRCRSP-6, SRCRSP-7, SRCRSP-8, SRCRSP-9, SRCTRSP-10 loci. Anim. Genet. 25:203.
- Barendse, W., S. M. Armitage, L. M. Kossarek, A. Shalom, B. W. Kirkpatrick, A. M. Ryan, D. Clayton, L. Li, H. L. Neibergs, N. Zhang, W. M. Grosse, J. Weiss, P. Creighton, F. McCarthy, M. Ron, A. J. Teale, R. Fries, R. A. McGraw, S. S. Moore, M. Georges, M. Soller, J. E. Womack and D. J. S. Hetzel. 1994. A genetic linkage map of the bovine genome. Nature Genet. 6:227-235. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng0394-227
- Belkhir, K. 2000. GENETIX (Version 4.01). Laboratory of Genome, Populations, Interactions, CNRS UPR 9060, Montpellier, France.
- Nei, M., F. Tajima and Y. Tateno. 1983. Accuracy of estimated phylogenetic trees from molecular data. II. Gene frequency data. Mol. Evol. 19:153-170. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02300753
- Missohou, A., E. Talaki and I. Maman Laminou. 2006. Diversity and genetic relationships among seven west African goat breeds. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1245-1251. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1245
- Nei, M. 1972. Genetic distance between populations. Am. Nat. 106:283-291. https://doi.org/10.1086/282771
- Yeh, C. C., J. K. Kogi, M. T. Holder, T. M. Guerra, S. K. Davis and J. F. Taylor. 1997. Caprine microsatellite dinucleotide repeat polymorphisms at the SR-CRSP21, SR-CRSP22, SR-CRSP23, SR-CRSP24, SR-CRSP25, SR-CRSP26 and SR-CRSP27 loci. Anim. Genet. 28:380-381. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1997.tb03284.x
- Vaiman, D., D. Mercier, K. Moazami-Goudarzi, A. Eggen, R. Ciampolini, A. Lepingle, R. Velmala, J. Kaukinen, S. L. Varvio and P. Martinet. 1994. A set of 99 cattle microsatellites: characterization, synteny mapping, and polymorphism. Mamm. Genome 5:288-297. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00389543
- Saitou, N. and M. Nei. 1987. The neighbour-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4:406-425.
- Takezaki, N. 1997. NJBAFD computer software for phylogenetic tree. National Institute of Genetics, Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan.
- Zagdsuren, Y., B. Mandakh, K. McGuire and A. Fine. 2000. Goat breeders' pocket book. ACDI/VOCA, Ulaanbaatar. Mongolia.
- Kidd, K. K., W. H. Stone, C. Crimella, C. Carenzi, M. Casati and G. Rognoni. 1980. Immunogenetic and population genetic analyses of Iberian cattle. Anim. Blood Grps Biochem. Genet. 11:21-38.
- Mac Hugh D. E., R. T. Loftus, P. Cunningham and D. G. Bradley. 1998. Genetic structure of seven European cattle breeds assessed using 20 microsatellite markers. Anim. Genet. 29:333-340. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.1998.295330.x
- Mahdakh, B. and Yo. Zagdsuren. 1996. Effects of genepools, sex and age on the fibre quality of Mongolian goats. Fine Fibre News 6:26-28.
- Nozawa, K., Y. Maeda, Y. Tanabe, B. Zhanchiv, K. Tumennasan and T. Tsendsuren. 1998. Gene constitution of the native goats in Mongolia. Report of the Society for Researchers on Native Livestock 17:83-95.
- Nyamsamba, D., K. Nomura, M. Yokohama, K. Nozawa and T. Amano. 2003. Genetic relationships among Mongolian native goat populations estimated by blood protein polymorphism. Small Rum. Res. 47:171-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(02)00276-6
- Saitbekova, N., C. Gaillard, G. Obexer-Ruff and G. Dolf. 1999. Genetic diversity in Swiss goat breeds based on microsatellite analysis. Anim. Genet. 30:36-41. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.1999.00429.x
- Yang, L., S. H. Zhao, K. Li, Z. Z. Peng and G. W. Montgomery. 1999. Determination of genetic relationships among five indigenous Chinese goat breeds with six microsatellite markers. Anim. Genet. 30:452-455. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.1999.00548.x
- Microsatellite DNA markers indicate three genetic lineages in East Asian indigenous goat populations vol.43, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2012.02334.x
- Phylogenetic Analysis of Korean Native Goats Based on the Mitochondrial Cytochrome b Gene vol.54, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.4.241
- Microsatellite Analysis of the Genetic Diversity and Population Structure in Dairy Goats in Thailand vol.29, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0270
- Indigo Dyeing of Mongolian Cashmere Fiber vol.40, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2016.40.6.979
Supported by : Tokyo University of Agriculture