- Volume 21 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of Yeast Culture Supplementation to Gestation and Lactation Diets on Growth of Nursing Piglets
- Kim, Sung Woo (North Carolina State University) ;
- Brandherm, Mike (Hitch Pork Producers Inc.) ;
- Freeland, Mike (Hitch Pork Producers Inc.) ;
- Newton, Betsy (Akey) ;
- Cook, Doug (Akey) ;
- Yoon, Ilkyu (Diamond V Mills, Cedar Rapids)
- Received : 2007.08.02
- Accepted : 2007.12.02
- Published : 2008.07.01
A total of 335 sows at a commercial operation (Hitch Pork Producers Inc, Guymon, OK) was used to determine dietary effects of yeast culture supplementation (
Yeast Culture;Sow;Litter Weight Gain
- Kanis, E. 1990. Effect of food intake capacity on genotype by feeding regimen interactions in growing pigs. Anim. Prod. 50:343-351. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100004797
- Kamm, K., S. Hoppe, G. Breves, B. Schroder and M. Schemann. 2004. Effects of the probiotic yeast Saccharomyces boulardii on the neurochemistry of myenteric neurones in pig jejunum. Neurogastroenterol. Motil. 16:53-60. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2982.2003.00458.x
- Han, I. K., P. Bosi, Y. Hyun, J. D. Kim, K. S. Sohn and S. W. Kim. 2000. Recent advances in sow nutrition to improve reproductive performance. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:335-355.
- Jung, K., Y. Ha, S. K. Ha, D. U. Han, D. W. Kim, W. K. Moon and C. Chae. 2004. Antiviral effect of Saccharomyces cerevisiae beta-glucan to swine influenza virus by increased production of interferon-gamma and nitric oxide. J. Vet. B. Infect. Dis. Vet. Public Heath 51:72-76. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0450.2004.00732.x
- Cole, N. A., C. W. Purdy and D. P. Hutcheson. 1982. Influence of yeast culture on feeder calves and lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1682-1690.
- Easter, R. A. and S. W. Kim. 1998. Recent advances in the nutrition of the high producing sow. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 11:769-773. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1998.769
- Kim, S. W., G. Wu and D. H. Baker. 2005. Amino acid nutrition of breeding sows during gestation and lactation. Pig News Info. CABI. 26:89N-99N.
- Kornegay, E. T., D. Rhein-Welker, M. D. Lindemann and C. M. Wood. 1995. Performance and nutrient digestibility in weanling pigs as influenced by yeast culture additions to starter diets containing dried whey or one of two fiber sources. J. Anim. Sci. 73:1381-1389. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.7351381x
- Li, J., J. Xing, D. Li, X. Wang, L. Zhao, S. Lv and D. Huang. 2005. Effects of beta-glucan extracted from Saccharomyces cerevisiae on humoral and cellular immunity in weaned piglets. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 59:303-312. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390500247832
- Mathew, A. G., S. E. Chattin, C. M. Robbins and D. A. Golden. 1998. Effects of a direct-fed yeast culture on enteric microbial populations, fermentation acids, and performance of weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2138-2145. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7682138x
- MLC. 1979. Pig Yearbook 1979. Meat and Livestock Commission. London.
- MLC. 2006. Pig Yearbook 2006. Meat and Livestock Commission. London.
- Putnam, D. E., C. G. Schwab, M. T. Socha, N. L. Whitehouse, N. A. Kierstead and B. D. Garthwaite. 1997. Effect of yeast culture in the diets of early lactation dairy cows on ruminal fermentation and passage of nitrogen fractions and amino acids to the small intestine. J. Dairy Sci. 80:374-384. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)75947-2
- Robinson, P. H. and J. E. Garrett. 1999. Effect of yeast culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) on adaptation of sows to postpartum diets and on lactational performance. J. Anim. Sci. 77:988-999. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.774988x
- Van der Peet-Schwering, C. M. C., A. J. M. Jansman and I. Yoon. 2007. Effect of yeast culture on performance, gut integrity, and blood cell composition of weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 85:3099-3109. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0110
- Veum, T. L. and G. L. Bowman. 1973. Saccharomyces cervisiae yeast culture in diets for mechanically-fed neonatal piglets and early growing self-fed pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 37:67-71. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1973.37167x
- Veum, T. L., J. Reyes and M. Ellersieck. 1995. Effect of supplemental yeast culture in sow gestation and lactation diets on apparent nutrient digestibility and reproductive performance through one reproductive cycle. J. Anim. Sci. 73:1741-1745. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.7361741x
- New topics and limits related to the use of beneficial microbes in pig feeding vol.1, pp.4, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3920/BM2010.0036
- Effect of supplementing the diet of lactating sows with NuPro® on sow lactation performance and piglet growth vol.91, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas2010-008
- Effects of supplementing Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation product in sow diets on performance of sows and nursing piglets1,2 vol.89, pp.8, 2011, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3642
- Evaluation of Dietary Supplement Intake (Yeast Tablets) on Pregnant Albino Rats and Their Fetuses (Implications of Yeast Tablets on Rats & Fetuses) vol.61, pp.0, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-4324-2018160269
- Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and its effect on production indices of livestock and poultry—a review pp.1618-565X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00580-018-2862-7
- Improving efficiency of sow productivity: nutrition and health vol.4, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1186/2049-1891-4-26