- Volume 21 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Salinity Stress on Dry Matter Yield and Oxalate Content in Napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum Schumach)
- Rahman, M.M. (The United Graduate School of Agricultural Sciences(University of Miyazaki), Kagoshima University) ;
- Ishii, Y. (Faculty of Agriculture, University of Miyazaki) ;
- Niimi, M. (Faculty of Agriculture, University of Miyazaki) ;
- Kawamura, O. (Faculty of Agriculture, University of Miyazaki)
- Received : 2008.04.22
- Accepted : 2008.06.16
- Published : 2008.11.01
Sodium is involved in elevation of oxalate content in some plant species and this element is abundant in saline soils. Oxalate causes precipitation of insoluble calcium oxalate in the rumen and kidneys. The intention of this study was to evaluate the effect of soil salinity stress on dry matter yield and oxalate content in pot-grown napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum Schumach). Plants were cut three times at 56, 118 and 179 d after transplanting to the pots. Five salinity treatments were used containing various concentrations of NaCl solution as follows: 0, 100, 300, 600 and 900 mM. At 28, 42, 84, 98, 146 and 160 d after transplanting, plants were irrigated with one liter of the particular treatment for each application. Dry matter yield of napiergrass was not affected (p>0.05) by salinity treatments. Plants treated with 100 mM NaCl exhibited a higher soluble oxalate content compared to other treatments, but the differences were not statistically significant (p>0.05). Although salinity treatments had significant (p<0.05) effects on insoluble and total oxalate contents in plant tissue between the 100 and 900 mM NaCl treatments, the differences were too small to be considered biologically important. The present study indicates that where the soil is high in NaCl, napiergrass will tend to grow well and be low in oxalate.
Supported by : Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
- Pongtongkam, P., S. Peyachoknagul, J. Arananant, A. Thongpan and S. Tudsri. 2006. Production of salt tolerance dwarf napier grass (Pennisetum purpureum cv. Mott) using tissue culture and gamma irradiation. Kasetsart J. (Nat. Sci.) 40:625-633.
- Rahman, M. M., M. Niimi, Y. Ishii and O. Kawamura. 2006. Effects of season, variety and botanical fractions on oxalate content of napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum Schumach). Grassl. Sci. 52:161-166. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-697X.2006.00063.x
- Rahman, M. M., M. Niimi and O. Kawamura. 2007. Simple method for determination of oxalic acid in forages using high-performance liquid chromatography. Grassl. Sci. 53:201-204. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-697X.2007.00093.x
- Rahman, M. M., M. Yamamoto, M. Niimi and O. Kawamura. 2008. Effect of nitrogen fertilization on oxalate content in Rhodesgrass, Guineagrass and Sudangrass. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 21:214-219. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.70350
- Skerman, P. J. and F. Riveros. 1990. Tropical Grasses. FAO, Rome. pp. 832
- Masters, D. G., H. C. Norman and E. G. Barrett-Lennard. 2005. Agricultural systems for saline soil: The potential role of livestock. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:296-300. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.296
- McKenzie, R. A., A. M. Bell, G. J. Storie, F. J. Keenan, K. M. Cornack and S. G. Grant. 1988. Acute oxalate poisoning of sheep by buffelgrass (Cenchrus ciliaris). Aust. Vet. J. 65:26.
- Mukhtar, M., Y. Ishii, S. Tudsri, S. Idota and T. Sonoda. 2003. Dry matter productivity and overwintering ability of the dwarf and normal napiergrass as affected by the planting density and cutting frequency. Plant Prod. Sci. 6:65-73. https://doi.org/10.1626/pps.6.65
- Fowler, J. L., J. H. Hageman, K. J. Moore, M. Suzukida, H. Assadian and M. Valenzuela. 1992. Salinity effects on forage quality of Russian thistle. J. Range Manage. 45:559-563. https://doi.org/10.2307/4002572
- Fujii, N., M. Watanabe, Y. Watanabe and N. Shimada. 1993. Rate of oxalate biosynthesis from glycolate and ascorbic acid in spinach leaves. J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci. 39:627-634. https://doi.org/10.1080/00380768.1993.10419179
- Lal, B. M., R. P. Johari and R. K. Mehta. 1966. Some investigations on the oxalate status of Pusa giant napiergrass and its parents. Current Sci. 5:125-126.
- Libert, B. and V. R. Franceschi. 1987. Oxalate in crop plants. J. Agric. Food Chem. 35:926-938. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00078a019
- Marais, J. P. 2001. Factors affecting the nutritive value of kikuyugrass (Pennisetum clandestinum)-a review. Trop. Grassl. 35:65-84.
- Masters, D. G., H. C. Norman and R. A. Dynes. 2001. Opportunities and limitations for animal production from saline land. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14(special issue):199-211.
- Cymbaluk, N. F., J. D. Miller and D. A. Christensen. 1986. Oxalate concentration in feeds and its metabolism by ponies. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 66:1107-1116. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas86-121
- Dhillon, K. S., B. S. Paul, R. S. Bajwa and J. Singh. 1971. A preliminary report on a peculiar type of napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum, 'Pusa giant') poisoning in buffalo calves. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 41:1034-1036.
- Gul, B., D. J. Weber and M. A. Khan. 2000. Effect of salinity and planting density on physiological responses of Allenrolfea occidentalis. Western North American Naturalist 60:188-197.
- Gwayumba, W., D. A. Christensen, J. J. McKinnon and P. Yu. 2002. Dry matter intake, digestibility and milk yield by Friesian cows fed two Napier grass varieties. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:516-521. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.516
- Ala, F., S. Ismail, R. Ahmad and R. Shaheen. 1995. Effects of salinity and waterlogging on physiological processes and ionic regulation in Atriplex amnicola. Pak. J. Bot. 27:283-295.
- Toth, T., S. Matsumoto, R. Mao and Y. Yin. 1995. Precision of predicting soil salinity based on vegetation categories of abandoned lands. Soil Sci. 160:218-231. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-199509000-00007
- Williams, M. C. 1960. Effect of sodium and potassium salts on growth and oxalate content of halogeton. Plant Physiol. 35:500-505. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.35.4.500
- Williams, M. C., B. J. Smith and R. V. Lopez. 1991. Effect of nitrogen, sodium and potassium on nitrate and oxalate concentration in kikuyugrass. Weed Technol. 5:553-556. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0890037X00027317
- BLRI. 2002. Fodder crops for saline belt, flood prone and Madhupur tract areas (Technology). Animal Production Research Division, Bangladesh Livestock Research Institute (BLRI), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Parida, A. K., A. B. Das and B. Mittra. 2004. Effects of salt on growth, ion accumulation, photosynthesis and leaf anatomy of the mangrove, Bruguiera parviflora. Trees-Struct. Funct. 18:167-174. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00468-003-0293-8
- Singh, P. P. 1974. Influence of light intensity, fertilizers and salinity on oxalate and mineral concentration of two vegetables (Chenopodium album L. and Chenopodium amaranthicolor L.). Plant Foods Human Nutr. 24:115-125. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01092728