- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Supplementation of Mixed Cassava (Manihot esculenta) and Legume (Phaseolus calcaratus) Fodder on the Rumen Degradability and Performance of Growing Cattle
- Thang, C.M. (Department of Animal Nutrition and Feeding, National Institute of Animal Husbandry) ;
- Sanh, M.V. (Department of Buffalo Science, National Institute of Animal Husbandry) ;
- Wiktorsson, H. (Department of Animal Nutrition and Feeding, National Institute of Animal Husbandry)
- Received : 2006.08.17
- Accepted : 2007.04.08
- Published : 2008.01.01
Two experiments were conducted to assess the effect of replacing a conventional concentrate with mixed cassava (Manihot esculenta) foliage and legume (Phaseolus calcaratus) foliage. In Exp. 1, three rumen fistulated crossbred cows were used for in sacco rumen degradability studies. In vitro gas production was also studied. In Exp. 2, 11 crossbred F2 heifers (Red Sindhi
Heifer Calves;Cassava Foliage;Legume Foliage;Rumen Degradability;Growth Rate;Economic Return
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemist., Washington DC. 1, pp. 69-90.
- Gohl, B. 1994. Tropical Feeds. In: First FAO Electronic Conference on Tropical Feeds and Feeding Systems (Ed. A. W. Speedy). Animal Production and Health Division, FAO, Rome.
- Guyer, P. Q. 1983. Management of Early Weaned Calves. Cooperative Extension, Univ. of Nebraska, Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources, U.S. http://ianrpubs.unl. edu/beef/g655.htm.
- Khang, D. N. and H. Wiktorsson. 2006. Performance of growing heifers fed urea treated fresh rice straw supplemented with fresh, ensiled or pelleted cassava foliage. Livest. Sci. 102:130- 139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2005.12.003
- Krailas, K. and M. Wanapat. 2003. Cassava hay and Stylo 184 hay to replace concentrates in diets for lactating dairy cows. Livest. Res. Rural Develop. 15,11:1-9. http://www.cipav.org.co/.
- Chumpawadee, S., K. Sommart, T. Vongpralub and V. Pattarajinda. 2006. Effects of synchronizing the rate of dietary and nitrogen release on ruminal fermentation, microbial protein synthesis, blood urea nitrogen and nutrient digestibility in beef cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:181-188.
- Combellas, J., P. Colombo, R. Alvarez and L. Gabaldon. 1996. Influence of Glicidia sepium restricted grazing on live weight gain of growing cattle in star grass pasture. Livest. Res. Rural Develop. 8,4. http://www.cipav.org.co/.
- Devendra, C. D. 1995. Tropical legume for small ruminants. Tropical legumes in animal nutrition. CAB international, Wallingford, UK.
- Dung, N. T., I. Ledin and N. T. Mui. 2003. Effect of replacing a commercial concentrate with cassava hay on the performance of growing goats. Evaluation of cassava intercropping systems and cassava hay as a feed for growing goats. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, pp. 49-64.
- Orskov, E. R. 1992. Dynamics of Nitrogen in the rumen. In: United State Edition (Ed.), Protein Nutrition in Ruminants. Academic Press Limited, San Diego. pp. 43-48.
- Orskov, E. R., F. D. Deb Hovell and F. Mould. 1980. The use of the nylon bag technique for the evaluation of feedstuff. Trop. Anim. Prod. 5:195-213.
- Orskov, E. R. and I. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurements weight according to the rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. 92:499- 503. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600063048
- Osuji, P. O., S. Sibanda and I. U. Nsalhai. 1993. Supplementation of maize stover for Ethiopian Menz sheep: Effect of cottonseed, nough (Guizotia abyssiniaca) or sunflower cake with or without maize on the intake, growth, apparent digestibility nitrogen balance and excretion of purine derivatives. Anim. Prod. 57:429-436.
- Preston, T. R. 2001. Potential of cassava in integrated farming system. In: (Ed. T. R. Preston, B. Ogle and M. Wanapat), International Workshop Current Research and Development on Use of Cassava as Animal Feed. Khon Kean University, Thailand.
- Preston, T. R. and R. A. Leng. 1987. Guidelines for feeding systems. Matching Ruminant Production systems with Available Resources in the tropics and subtropics. Penambul Books, Armidale, Queensland 4380, Australia. pp. 103-126.
- Makkar, H. P. S., M. Blummel and K. Becker. 1995. Formation of complexes between polyvinyl pyrrolidone and polyethylene glycol with tannins and their implications in gas production and true digestibility in vitro techniques. Br. J. Nutr. 73:897- 913. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19950095
- Man, N. V. and H. Wiktorsson. 2001. Cassava tops ensiled with or without molasses as additive effects on quality, feed intake and digestibility by heifers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:624-630. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.624
- Menke, K. H. and H. Steingass. 1988. Estimation of the energetic feed value obtained from chemical analysis and in vitro gas production using rumen fluid. Anim. Res. Develop. 28:7-55.
- Netpana, N., M. Wanapat, O. Poungchompu and W. Toburan. 2001. Effect of condensed tannin in cassava hay on feaces parasitic egg counts in swarp buffaloes and cattle. International Workshop on Current Research and Development on Use of Cassava as Animal fed. Khon Kean University, Thailand.
- Norton, B. W. 1999. The significance of tannin in tropic animal production. In: (Ed. J. D. Brooker), Proc. International Workshop on Tannin in Livestock and Human Nutrition. ACIAR. 92. pp. 14-23.
- Kumar, R. and J. P. F. Dmello. 1995. Antinutritional factors in forage legumes. Tropical legumes in Animal Nutrition. CAB International.
- Leng, R. A. 1986. Constraints to ruminant production and concept to increase prodcutivity from low-digestibility forages. Proceeding of the 5th International Conference on Livestock Production and Diseases in the Tropics held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (18-22 August). p. 145.
- Lohakare, J. D., A. K. Pattanaik and S. A. Khan. 2006. Effect of dietary protein levels on the performance, nutrient balances, metabolic profile and thyroid hormones of crossbread calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1588-1596. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1588
- Makkar, H. P. S. 2000. Evaluation and enhancement of feeding value of tanniniferous feeds. In: (Ed. J. D. Brooker), Proc. International Workshop on Tannin in Livestock and Human Nutrition. ACIAR 92.
- Makkar, H. P. S. 2002. Application of in vitro gas method in the evaluation of feed resources, and enhancement of nutritive value of tannin-rich tree/browse leaves and agroindustrial byproducts. In: Development and field evaluation of animal feed supplementation packages, IAEA TECDOC-1294, pp. 23-42.
- Topps, J. H. 1997. Forage legumes as protein supplements to poor quality diets in the semi-arid tropics. Rumen Ecology Research Planning. Proceeding of workshop. ILRI, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Van, D. T. T. and I. Ledin. 2001. Effect of different foliage and sugarcane in the diets in late pregnancy in ewe and lamb performance. In: (Ed. D. T. T. Van) Local feed resources in diets for small ruminants in Vietnam. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala.
- Van Soest, P. J. And J. B. Robinson. 1985. A laboratory manual for animal science. Cornell University. Ithaca, N.Y.
- Wanapat, M. 2001. Role of cassava hay as animal feed in the tropic. In: (Ed. T. R. Preston, B. Ogle and M. Wanapat), International Workshop Current Research and Development on Use of Cassava as Animal Feed). Khon Kean University, Thailand.
- Smith, O. B., O. A. Idown, V. O. Asaolu and O. Odunlami. 1991. Compararive rumen degradability of forage, browse, crop residues and agricultural by-products. Livest. Res. Rural Develop. 3,2. http://www.cipav.org.co/.
- Terrill, T. H., A. M. Rowan, G. B. Douglas and T. N. Barry. 1992. Determination of extractable and bound condensed tannin concentrations in forage plants, protein concentrate meals and cereals. J. Sci. Food Agric. 58:3211-3229.
- Tessema, T. and R. M. T. Baars. 2004. Chemical composition, in vitro dry matter digestibility and ruminal degradation of Napier grass (Penniseum purpureum Schumach.) mixed with different levels of Sesbania sesban (L.). Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 117:29-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2004.08.001
- Thang, C. M., M. V. Sanh and H. Wiktorsson. 2005. Effect of harvesting frequency on biomass yield and chemical composition of cassava (Manihot esculenta) and legume (Phaseolus calcaratus) under monoculture and intercropping systems. In: (Ed. C. M. Thang) Effect of intergrated production of cassava and Phaseolus calcaratus legume and use as a protein source for growing cattle. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala.
- Promkot, C. and M. Wanapat. 2003. Ruminant degradation and intestinal digestion of crude protein of tropical protein resources using nylon bag techniwua and three-step in vitro procedure in dairy cattle. Livest. Res. Rural Develop. 15(11):1- 12. http://www.cipav.org.co/.
- Queiroz, A. C., M. A. Barbosa, F. D. Resende, J. C. Pereria and A. R. Dura. 1998. Supplementation of corn stover in the feeding of cattle 1. Intake, dry matter passage rate and in situ dry matter and neutral detergent fiber degradability. Bras. Res. Zootec. 27(2):381-389.
- Ravindran, V. And A. S. B. Rajaguru. 1988. Effect of stem pruning on cassava root yield and leaf growth. Sri Lankan J. Agric. Sci.. 25(2):32-37.
- Sebastian, V. S. and L. M. Esther. 2002. Country Pasture/Forage resource profiles. In: (Ed. J. M. Suttie). http://www.fao.org/waicent/faoinfo/agricult/agp/agpc/doc/counprof/tanz.htm.
- Seijas, J., B. Arredondo, H. Torrealba and J. Combellas. 1994. Influence of Gliricidia sepium, multinutritional blocks and fish meal on live-weight gain and rumen fermentation of growing cattle in grazing conditions. Livest. Res. Rural Develop. 6:1. http://www.cipav.org.co/.
- Wanapat, M., O. Pimpa, A. Petlum and U. Boontao. 1997. Cassava hay: A new strategic feed for ruminants duing the dry season. Livest. Res. Rural Develop. 9,2. http://www.cipav.org.co/.
- Wanapat, M., T. Puramonkon and W. Siphuak. 2000. Feeding of cassava hay for lactating dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:478-482. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.478
- Khang, D. N. and H. Wiktorsson. 2000. Effect of cassava leaf meal on the rumen environment of local yellow cattle fed urea treated paddy straw. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1102-1108. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.1102
- Mupangwa, J. F., N. T. Ngongoni and H. Hamudikuwanda. 2003. The effect of stage of growth and method of drrying fresh herbage on in sacco dry matter degradability of three tropical forage legumes. Livest. Res. Rural Develop. 15(2):1-10. http://www.cipav.org.co/.
- Effect of feeding cassava and/or Stylosanthes foliage on the performance of crossbred growing cattle vol.42, pp.1, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-009-9378-8
- Improved Productivity of Kacang Goats Reared by Farmers Using Balanced Rations with Different Sources of Protein vol.16, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2017.672.677