- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Use of Cattle Microsatellite Markers to Assess Genetic Diversity of Thai Swamp Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis)
- Sraphet, Supajit (Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Mahidol University) ;
- Moolmuang, Benchamart (Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Mahidol University) ;
- Na-Chiangmai, Ancharlie (Department of Livestock Development, Phayathai Rd.) ;
- Panyim, Sakol (Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Mahidol University) ;
- Smith, Duncan R. (Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Mahidol University) ;
- Triwitayakorn, Kanokporn (Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Mahidol University)
- Received : 2007.06.12
- Accepted : 2007.09.09
- Published : 2008.02.01
In this study, cattle microsatellite markers recommended for diversity studies of cattle by the EU AIRE 2066 Concerted Action Group were used to study the genetic diversity of 105 Thai swamp buffalo which were randomly selected from eight different research stations of the Department of Livestock Development, Thailand. Of 34 primer pairs, 16 were successfully amplified while the rest showed non-specific amplification. The lowest number of alleles was two while the highest was nine, with an average of 4.7 alleles per locus. The average unbiased heterozygosity for all eight populations was 0.5233, with a low of 0.4772 (Samui) and a high of 0.5616 (Burirum). The genetic distance ranged from 0.0574 to 0.2575. Populations from Lopburi and Burirum showed the closest relationship, whereas Srisagat and Samui were the most divergent. The results generated with the primers recommended by the EU AIRE 2066 Concerted Action Group are at a slight variance from our previous study, possibly as a result of the number of specific amplification products obtained, suggesting that cattle markers may not be optimal for studies of the genetic diversity of the Thai swamp buffalo.
Genetic Diversity;Microsatellite;Thai Swamp Buffalo
Supported by : Mahidol University
- Barker, J. S., S. G. Tan, O. S. Selvaraj and T. K. Mukherjee. 1997a. Genetic variation within and relationships among populations of Asian water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). Anim. Genet. 28:1-13. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1997.00036.x
- Barker, J. S., S. S. Moore, D. J. Hetzel, D. Evans, S. G. Tan and K. Byren. 1997b. Genetic diversity of Asian water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis): microsatellite variation and a comparison with protein-coding loci. Anim. Genet. 28:103-115. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1997.00085.x
- Selvi, P. K., J. M. Panandam, K. Yusoff and S. G. Tan. 2004. Molecular characterisation of the Mafriwal Dairy Cattle of Malaysia using microsatellite markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1366-1368. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1366
- Triwitayakorn, K., B. Moolmuang, S. Sraphet, A. Na-Chiangmai, S. Panyim and D. R. Smith. 2006. Genetic diversity in Thai swamp buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) using cattle microsatellite DNA markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:617-621. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.617
- Van Hooft, W. F., A. F. Groen and H. H. Prins. 2000. Microsatellite analysis of genetic diversity in African buffalo (Syncerus caffer) population throughout Africa. Mol. Ecol. 9:2017-2025. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-294X.2000.01101.x
- Chen, G. H., X. S. Wu, D. Q. Wang, J. Qin, S. L. Wu, Q. L. Zhou, F. Xie, R. Cheng, Q. Xu, B. X. Liu, Y. Zhang and O. Olowofeso. 2004. Cluster analysis of 12 Chinese Native chicken populations using microsatellite markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1047-1052. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1047
- Girish, H., S. N. Sivaselvam, S. M. K. Karthickeyan and R. Saravanan. 2007. Molecular characterisation of Nilagiri sheep (Ovis aries) of south India based on microsatellites. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:633-637. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.633
- Navani, N., P. K. Jain, S. Gupta, B. Sisodia and S. Kumar. 2001. A set of cattle microsatellite DNA markers for genome analysis of riverine buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). Anim Genet. 33:149-154. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.2002.00823.x
- Nei, M. 1972. Genetic distance between populations. Am. Nat. 106:283-292. https://doi.org/10.1086/282771
- Nei, M. 1978. Estimation of average heterozygosity and genetic distance from a small number of individuals. Genetics. 89:583-92.
- Osman, S. A.-M., M. Sekino, M. Nishibori, Y. Yamamoto and M. Tsudzuki. 2005. Genetic variability and relationships of native Japanese chickens assessed by microsatellite DNA profiling - focusing on the breeds established in Kochi Prefecture, Japan. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:755-761. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.755
- Sambrook, J. and D. W. Russell. 2001. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Springs Harbour Laboratory Press, Cold Springs Harbour, NY.
- Miller, M. P. 1997. Tools for population genetic analysis. Version 1.3. Dept of Biological Sciences, Northern Arizona Univ., Flagstaff, AZ.
- De Novo Transcriptome Assembly of the Chinese Swamp Buffalo by RNA Sequencing and SSR Marker Discovery vol.11, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0147132