- Volume 21 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effects of Egg Storage Material and Storage Period on Hatchability in Japanese Quail
- Lacin, E. (Department of Animal Husbandry, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ataturk University) ;
- Coban, O. (Department of Animal Husbandry, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ataturk University) ;
- Sabuncuoglu, N. (Department of Animal Husbandry, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ataturk University)
- Received : 2007.11.27
- Accepted : 2008.03.17
- Published : 2008.08.01
The present study aimed to determine the effects of different storage materials and storage period on some hatchability traits of Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica) eggs. A total of 32 male and 102 female quail (twelve weeks of ages) were housed in multiple-bird cages. Eggs laid were divided into three groups with respect to the period of storage (I = 1st, 2nd and 3rd days, II = 6th, 7th and 8th days, III = 12th, 13th and 14th days) prior to incubation. A total of 816 eggs was stored in 3 different storage environments during each storage period (B = no use of any storage material, P = use of perlite, H = use of hay) and kept in environmental conditions, where the temperature was
Laying Quail;Storage Period;Perlite;Hatchability
- Walsh, T. J., R. E. Rizk and J. Brake. 1995. Effect of storage for 7 or 14 days at two temperatures in the presence or absence of carbon dioxide on albumen characteristics, weight loss and early embryonic mortality of broiler hatching eggs. Poult. Sci. 74:1403-1410. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0741403
- Woodard, A. E. and A. Morzenti. 1975. Effect of turning and age of egg on hatchability in the pheasant, chukar, and Japanese quail. Poult. Sci. 54(5):1708-1711. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0541708
- Uddin, M. S., D. C. Paul and Q. M. E. Huque. 1994. Effect of egg weight and pre-incubation holding periods on hatchability of Japanese quail eggs in different seasons. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 7:499-503. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1994.499
- Talebali, H. and A. Farzinpour. 2006. Effect of different levels of perlite on performance of broiler chicks. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 5(5):432-435. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2006.432.435
- Seker, I., S. Kul, M. Bayraktar, F. Ekmen and O. Yildirim. 2004. Japon bildircinlarinda (Coturnix coturnix japonica) kuluckalik yumurtalarin ana yasi ve depolama suresinin kulucka sonuclarina etkisi. Uludag Univ. J. Fac. Vet. Med. 23(1-2-3):59-64.
- Seker, I., S. Kul and M. Bayraktar. 2005. Effects of storage period and egg weight of Japanese quail eggs on hatching results. Arch. Tierz. Dummerstorf 48(5):518-526.
- Stern, C. D. 1991. The sub-embryonic fluid of the domestic fowl and its relationship to the early development of the embryo. In "Avien Incubation (Ed. S. G. Tullet). pp. 81-90" London, UK.
- Saylam, S. K. 1999. Japon bildircinlarinda yumurta agirliginin ve depolama suresinin yumurta agirlik kaybina ve kulucka ozelliklerine etkileri. Tr. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 23:367-372.
- Shafey, T. M. and H. Al-Mohsen. 2002. Embryonic growth, hatching time and hatchability performance of meat breeder eggs incubated under continuous green light. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1702-1707. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1702
- Pedroso, A. A., M. B. Cafe, N. S. M. Leandro, J. H. Stringhini and L. S. Chaves. 2006. Embrinary develpment and hatchability of quail eggs stored for different periods and incubated at different humidity and temperatures levels. R. Bras. Zootec. 35(6):2344-2349. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982006000800021
- Narahari, D., K. A. Mujeer and K. A. Rajini. 2002. Pre-oviposition factors influencing the fertility and hatchabilitiy in Japanese Quail. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 72(9):756-761.
- North, M. O. and D. B. Bell. 1990. Commerical chicken production mannual 4th ed. Avi Book, New York, NY.
- Meijerhof, R. 1992. Pre-incubation holding of hatching eggs. World's Poult. Sci. 48:57-68. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19920006
- Kocak, C. and S. Ozkan. 2000. Bildircin, Sulun ve Keklik Yetistiriciligi. 1. Basim. Yardimci ders kitabi. Ege Univ. Ziraat Fakultesi Ofset Atolyesi. Izmir.
- Mayes, F. J. and M. A. Takeballi. 1984. Storage of eggs of fowl (Gallus Domesticus) before incubation. A review. World's Poult. Sci. 40(2):131-140. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19840011
- Altan, O., I. Oguz and P. Settar. 1995. Japon bildircinlarda yumurta agirligi ile ozgul agirligin kulucka ozelliklerine etkileri. Turk J. Agric. Foresty 19(4):219-222.
- Altan, O., A. Altan, H. Bayraktar and A. Demircioglu. 2002. Effect of short-term on hatchability and total incubation period of breeder hatching eggs. Tr. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 26:447-452.
- Alkan, M., M. Karadas, M. Dogan and O. Demirbas. 2005. Adsorption of CTAB onto perlite samples from aqueous solutions. J. Colloid and Interface Sci. 291:309-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2005.05.027
- Chestermen, C. W. 1975. Industrial minerals and rocks, 4th Ed., AIME and Pet. Eng., New York, p. 927-934.
- Dawes, C. M. 1975. Acid-base relationships within the avian egg. Biolog. Rev. 50:351-371.
- Britton, W. M. 1973. Vitelline membrane chemical composition in natural and induced yolk mottling. Poult. Sci. 52:459-464. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0520459
- Case, C. L., B. R. Funke and G. J. Tortora. 1989. Microcrobiology. In "An Introduction. The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co., Inc., p. 173" Redwood City, CA.
- Brake, J. T. 1989. Hatchability of abnormal broiler breeder eggs. Poultry Misset 5:24-25.
- Brake, J., T. J. Walsch, C. E. Benton, J. R. In Petitte, R. Meijerhof and G. Panavalva. 1997. Egg handling and storage. Poult. Sci. 76:144-151. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.1.144
- Aydogan, M. 1998. Game birds. Turk Veteriner Hekimleri Dergisi 8(5):43-45.
- Bloom, S., D. E. Muscarella, M. Y. Lee and M. Rachlinski. 1998. Cell death in the avian blastoderm: resisstance to stres induced apoptosis and expression of antiapoptotic genes. Cell Death and Differentiation 5:529-538. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.cdd.4400381
- Arad, Z., U. Eylath, M. Ginsburg and H. Eyal-Giladi. 1989. Changes in uterine fluid composition and acid-base status during shell formation in the chicken. Am. J. Physiol. 257(2):732-737.
- Harben, P. W. and R. L. Bates. 1990. Industrial minerals-Geolgy and world deposits: Surrey, UK, Metal Bulletin Plc. 184-189.
- Hurnik, G. I., B. S. Reinhart and J. F. Hurnik. 1978. Relationship between albumen quality and hatchability in fresh and stored eggs. Poult. Sci. 57:854-857. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0570854
- Fasenko, G. M., F. E. Robinson, R. T. Hardin and J. L. Wilson. 1992. Variability in preincubation embryonic development in domestic fowl. 2. Effects of duration of egg store period. Poult. Sci. 71(12):2129-2132. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0712129
- Fasenko, G. M., V. L. Christensen, M. J. Wineland and N. Petittej. 2001. Examining the effects of prestorage incubation of turkey breeder eggs on embriyonic development and hatchability of eggs stored four or fourteen days. Poult. Sci. 80:132-138. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.2.132
- Decuypere, E., K. Tona, V. Brugeman and F. Bamelis. 2001. The day-old chick: A crucial hinge between breeders and broilers. World Poult. Sci. J. 57(2):127-128. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS20010010
- Petek, M. 2006. Effect of feeding time on laying and reproductive performance of pharaoh quail (Coturnix coturnix Pharaoh) housed in different cage systems. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:67-71.
- Statistical Packages for the Social Sciences 1996. SPSS for Windows Relase 10.01 Inc., Chicago
- The use of propolis extract for the storage of quail eggs pp.1537-0437, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3382/japr/pfv043