- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Expression of Genes Related to Egg Production in the Liver of Taiwan Country Chickens
- Ding, S.T. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, National Taiwan University) ;
- Ko, Y.H. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, National Taiwan University) ;
- Ou, B.R. (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Tunghai University) ;
- Wang, P.H. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, National Taiwan University) ;
- Chen, C.L. (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Tunghai University) ;
- Huang, M.C. (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University, ROC) ;
- Lee, Y.P. (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University, ROC) ;
- Lin, E.C. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, National Taiwan University) ;
- Chen, C.F. (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University, ROC) ;
- Lin, H.W. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, National Taiwan University) ;
- Cheng, Winston Teng Kuei (Department of Animal Science and Technology, National Taiwan University)
- Received : 2007.01.06
- Accepted : 2007.04.26
- Published : 2008.01.01
The purpose of this study was to detect expression of genes related to egg production in Taiwan Country chickens by suppression subtractive hybridization. Liver samples of mRNA extraction from two Taiwan Country chicken strains (L2 and B), originated from the same population but with very distinct egg production rates after long-term selection for egg and meat production respectively. Two-way subtraction was performed. The hepatic cDNA from the low egg production chickens (B) was subtracted from the hepatic cDNA from the high egg production strain (L2). The reversed subtraction (L2 from B) was also performed. The resulting differentially expressed gene fragments were cloned and sequenced. We sequenced 288 clones from the forward subtraction and 96 clones from the reverse subtraction. These genes were subjected to further screening to confirm the differential expression between the two genetic breeds of chickens. The apolipoprotein B (apoB) was expressed to a greater extent in the liver of the L2 than in the B line chickens. The 5-aminoimidazole- 4-carboxamide ribonucleotide formyltransferase/IMP cyclohydrolase (PURH) was expressed to a greater extent in the liver of the B than in the L2 strain chickens. We demonstrated that both apoB and PURH were more highly expressed in the liver than that in other tissues (muscle, ovary, and oviduct) in laying Taiwan Country chickens. Taken together, these data suggest that after the selection for egg production, expression of apoB and PURH genes were also changed. Whether the changed expression of these genes is directly related to egg production is not known, but these two genes may be useful markers for egg laying performance in Taiwan Country chickens.
apoB;Egg production;Liver;PURH;Taiwan Country Chicken
Supported by : National Science Council
- Yen, C. J. 2004. Comparison of follicle growth rate and oviposition interval among commercial Taiwan Country chicken, selected Taiwan Country chicken and Single-Comb White Leghorn. Master Thesis. National Chung-Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan.
- Yen, C. F., Y. N. Jiang, T. F. Shen, I. M. Wong, C. C. Chen, K. C. Chen, W. C. Chang, Y. K. Tsao and S. T. Ding. 2005. Cloning and expression of the genes associated with lipid metabolism in Tsaiya ducks. Poult. Sci. 84:67-74. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.1.67
- Yen, C. F., H. W. Lin, J. C. Hsu, N. C. Lin, T. F. Shen and S. T. Ding. 2006. The expression of pituitary gland genes in laying geese. Poult. Sci. 85:2265-2269. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.12.2265
- Walzem, R. L., R. J. Hansen, D. L. Williams and R. L. Hamilton. 1999. Estrogen induction of VLDLy assembly in egg-laying hens. J. Nutr. 129:467S-472S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/129.2.467S
- Wang, P. H., B. H. Liu, Y. H. Ko, Y. C. Li and S. T. Ding. 2004. The expression of porcine adiponectin and stearoyl coenzyme A desaturase genes in differentiating adipocytes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:588-593. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.588
- Wang, H. C., Y. H. Ko, H. J. Mersmann, C. L. Chen and S. T. Ding. 2006. The expression of genes related to adipocytes in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 84:1059-1066. https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.8451059x
- Tarugi, P., G. Ballarini, B. Pinotti, A. Franchini, E. Ottaviani and S. Calandra. 1998. Secretion of apoB- and apoA-I-containing lipoproteins by chick kidney. J. Lipid. Res. 39:731-743.
- Tirunagaru, V. G., L. Sofer, J. Cui and J. Burnside. 2000. An expressed sequence tag database of T-cell-enriched activated chicken splenocytes: sequence analysis of 5251 clones. Genomics 66:144-151. https://doi.org/10.1006/geno.2000.6189
- Sun, D. X., W. Dong, Y. Ying and Z. Yuan. 2005. Cloning and characterization of liver cDNAs that are differentially expressed between chicken hybrids and their Parents. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1684-1690. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1684
- Schneider, W. J., R. Carroll, D. L. Sevenson and J. Nimpf. 1990. Apolipoprotein VLDL-II inhibits lipolysis of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins in the laying hen. J. Lipid. Res. 31:507-503.
- Spike, C. A., N. Bumstead, L. B. Crittenden and S. J. Lamont. 1996. RFLP mapping of expressed sequence tags in the chicken. J. Hered. 87:6-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jhered.a022954
- Rayl, E. A., B. A. Moroson and G. P. Beardsley. 1996. The human purH gene product, 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide ribonucleotide formyltransferase/IMP cyclohydrolase. Cloning, sequencing, expression, purification, kinetic analysis, and domain mapping. J. Biol. Chem. 271:2225-2233. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.271.4.2225
- Ryan, K. J., N. Charlet-B and T. A. Cooper. 2000. Binding of PurH to a muscle-specific splicing enhancer functionally correlates with exon inclusion in vivo. J. Biol. Chem. 275:20618-20626. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M909977199
- SAS. 2001. SAS User's Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute, Inc., Raleigh. NC.
- Lee, Y. P., L. T. Yeh and H. H. Huang. 1997. A study on the production system of Taiwan Country chicken: growth traits of three-strain cross Country chickens. J. Chin. Anim. Sci. 26:271-284.
- Nimpf, J., M. Radosavljevic and W. J. Schneider. 1989. Specific post-endocytic proteolysis of apolipoprotein-B in oocytes does not abolish receptor recognition. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86:906-910. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.86.3.906
- Jolivet, P., C. Boulard, V. Beaumal, T. Chardot and M. Anton. 2006. Protein components of low-density lipoproteins purified from hen egg yolk. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54:4424-4429. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0531398
- Lee, Y. P. 2006. Taiwan Country Chicken: a slow growth breed for eating quality. Proceedings Symposium 2006 Scientific Cooperation in Agriculture between Council of Agriculture (Taiwan, ROC) and Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (France). pp. 121-132. Tainan, Taiwan.
- Ding, S. T., R. L. McNeel and H. J. Mersmann. 1999. Expression of porcine adipocyte transcripts: tissue distribution and differentiation in vitro and in vivo. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B Biochem. Mol. Biol. 123:307-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0491(99)00077-2
- Dixon, J. L., R. Chattapadhway, T. Huima, C. M. Redman and D. Banerjee. 1992. Biosynthesis of lipoprotein: location of nascent apoAI and apoB in the rough endoplasmic reticulum of chicken hepatocytes. J. Cell Biol. 117:1161-1169. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.117.6.1161
- Hsu, J. M., P. H. Wang, B. H. Liu and S. T. Ding. 2004. The effect of dietary docosahexaenoic acid on the expression of porcine lipid metabolism-related genes. J. Anim. Sci. 82:683-689. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.823683x
- Chang, W. J., C. H. Chen, W. T. K. Cheng and S. T. Ding. 2007. The effect of dietary docosahexaenoic acid enrichment on the expression of porcine hepatic genes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:768-774. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.768
- Cheng, C. H., B. R. Ou, T. F. Shen and S. T. Ding. 2006. Effects of dietary algal docosahexaenoic acid oil supplementation on fatty acid deposition and gene expression in laying Tsaiya ducks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1047-1053. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1047
- Chomczynski, P. and N. Sacchi. 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate- phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal. Biochem. 162:156-159.
- Baker, M. E. 1988. Is vitellogenin an ancestor of apolipoprotein B- 100 of human low-density lipoprotein and human lipoprotein lipase? Biochem. J. 255:1057-1060. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj2551057
- Boren, J., I. Lee, W. Zhu, K. Arnold, S. Taylor and T. L. Innerarity. 1998. Identification of the low density lipoprotein receptorbinding site in apolipoprotein B100 and the modulation of its binding activity by the carboxyl terminus in familial defective apo-B100. J. Clin. Invest. 101:1084-1093. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI1847
- Carre, W., X. Wang, T. E. Porter, Y. Nys, J. Tang, E. Bernberg, R. Morgan, J. Burnside, S. E. Aggrey, J. Simon and L. A. Cogburn. 2006. Chicken genomics resource: sequencing and annotation of 35,407 ESTs from single and multiple tissue cDNA libraries and CAP3 assembly of a chicken gene index. Physiol. Genomics 25:514-524. https://doi.org/10.1152/physiolgenomics.00207.2005
- Abdrakhmanov, I., D. Lodygin, P. Geroth, H. Arakawa, A. Law, J. Plachy, B. Korn and J. M. Buerstedde. 2000. A large database of chicken bursal ESTs as a resource for the analysis of vertebrate gene function. Genome Res. 10:2062-2069. https://doi.org/10.1101/gr.10.12.2062
- Aimi, J., H. Qiu, J. Williams, H. Zalkin and J.E. Dixon. 1990. De novo purine nucleotide synthesis: cloning of human and avian cDNAs encoding the trifunctional glycinamide ribonucleotide synthetase-aminoimidazole ribonucleotide synthetaseglycinamide ribonucleotide transformylase by functional complementation in E. coli. Nucleic Acids Res. 18:6665-6672. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/18.22.6665
- Chen, K. L., T. Y. Hsieh and P. W. S. Chiou. 2006. Caponization effects on growth performance and lipid metabolism in Taiwan country chicken cockerels. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:438- 444. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.438
- Segrest, J. P., M. K. Jones, H. De Loof, C. G. Brouillette, Y. V. Venkatachalapathi and G. M. Anantharamaiah. 1992. The amphipathic helix in the exchangeable apolipoproteins: a review of secondary structure and function. J. Lipid. Res. 33:141-166.
- Identification of differentially expressed genes in ovaries of chicken attaining sexual maturity at different ages vol.39, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-1066-x
- Functional genomics in chicken (Gallus gallus) - status and implications in poultry vol.70, pp.01, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1017/S004393391400004X
- and their correlation with fat deposition in Yunnan’s top six famous chicken breeds vol.59, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668.2018.1490494