- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Prepartum Feeding of Cationic or Anionic Diets to Holstein Cows Given 30 or 60 Day Dry Periods: Comparison of Dry Matter Intake, Physiological Measures and Milk Production
- Gulay, M.S. (Department of Physiology, Veterinary Faculty, Mehmet Akif Ersoy University) ;
- Hayen, M.J. (University of Florida, Department of Animal Sciences) ;
- Bachman, K.C. (University of Florida, Department of Animal Sciences) ;
- Head, H.H. (University of Florida, Department of Animal Sciences)
- Received : 2007.06.08
- Accepted : 2007.09.07
- Published : 2008.01.01
Eighty-four Holstein cows were used to evaluate effects of feeding two diets that differed in dietary cation-anion difference (cationic; +28 or anionic; -138 mEq/kg DM) on prepartum and postpartum dry matter intake (DMI), body weight (BW), body condition score (BCS), serum Ca concentrations and on subsequent milk production and composition. Treatments were in a
- Grummer, R. R. and R. R. Rastani. 2004. Why reevaluate the dry period. J. Dairy Sci. (E, Suppl.) 87:E77-E85. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)70063-6
- Gulay, M. S., M. J. Hayen, M. Liboni, T. I. Belloso, C. J. Wilcox and H. H. Head. 2004. Low doses of bovine somatotropin during the transition period and early lactation improves milk yield, efficiency of production, and other physiological responses of Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. 87:948-960. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73239-7
- Gulay, M. S., M. J. Hayen and H. H. Head. 2005. Association between dry period length (30 or 60 d) and calving related disorders. J. Dairy Sci. (Suppl. 1) 88:287(Abstr.).
- Drackley, J. K. and H. M. Dann. 2005. New concepts in nutritional management of dry cows. Adv. Dairy Technol. 17:11-23.
- Ferguson, J. D., D. T. Galligan and N. Thomsen. 1994. Principal descriptors of body condition score in Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. 77:2696-2703.
- Goff, J. P., R. L. Horst, T. A. Reinhardt and P. R. Buxton. 1997. Strategies for preventing milk fever in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 80:1269-1280. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76056-9
- Annen, E. L., R. J. Collier, M. A. McGuire, J. L. Vicini, J. M. Ballam and M. J. Lormore. 2004. Effect of modified dry period lengths and bovine somatotropin on yield and composition of milk from dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 87:3746- 3761. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73513-4
- Bachman, K. C. 2002. Milk production of dairy cows treated with estrogen at the onset of a short dry period. J. Dairy Sci. 85:797-803. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74138-6
- Bachman, K. C. and M. L. Schairer. 2003. Bovine studies on optimal lengths of dry periods. J. Dairy Sci. 86:3027-3037. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73902-2
- Bertics, S. J., R. R. Grummer, C. Cadorniga-Valino and E. E. Stoddard. 1992. Effect of prepartum dry matter intake on liver triglyceride concentration and early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 75: 1914-1922. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)77951-X
- Block, E. 1984. Manipulating dietary anions and cations for prepartum dairy cows to reduce incidence of milk fever. J. Dairy Sci. 67:2939-2948. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(84)81657-4
- Coppock, C. E., C. H. Noller, S. A. Wolfe, C. J. Callahan and J. S. Backer. 1972. Effect of forage concentrate ratio in complete feeds fed ad libitum on feed intake prepartum and occurrence of abomasal displacement in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 55:783- 789. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(72)85573-5
- Drackley, J. K. 1999. Biology of dairy cows during the transition period: the final frontier. J. Dairy Sci. 82:2259-2273. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75474-3
- Suttle, N. F. 2000. Minerals in livestock production. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. (Suppl.) 13:1-9. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.1
- Watters, R. D., J. N. Guenther, A. E. Kulick, P. W. Clark and R. R. Grummer. 2006a. Effect of dry period length on health and production of Holstein cows during the subsequent lactation. J. Dairy Sci. (Suppl. 1) 89:213 (Abstr.).
- Watters, R. D., M. C. Wiltbank, P. M. Fricke, J. N. Guenther, A. E. Kulick and R. R. Grummer. 2006b. Effect of dry period duration on reproductive measures during the subsequent lactation in Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. (Suppl. 1) 89:288 (Abstr.).
- National Research Council. 1989. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 6th Rev. Ed. National Academy Press,Washington, DC.
- Oetzel, G. R., M. J. Fettman, D. W. Hammar and J. D. Olson. 1991. Screening of anionic salts for palatability, effects on acid-base status, and urinary calcium excretion in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 74:965-971. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78245-3
- Overton, T. R. 2005. Is there a place for short dry periods for high producing herds? Adv. Dairy Technol. 17:25-34.
- Kamiya, Y., M. Kamiya and M. Tanaka. 2006. The effect of prepartum diet on nitrogen and major mineral balance of dairy cows during parturition in summer. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1415-1421. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1415
- Gumen, A., R. R. Rastani, R. R. Grummer and M. C. Wiltbank. 2005. Reduced dry periods and varying prepartum diets alter postpartum ovulation and reproductive measures. J. Dairy Sci. 88:2401-2411. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72918-0
- Horst, R. L., P. M. Wovkulich, E. G. Baggiolini, M. R. Uskokovic, G. W. Engstrom and J. L. Napoli. 1984. (23S)-1,23,25- Trihydroxyvitamin D3: its biologic activity and role in 1 alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 26,23-lactone biosynthesis. Biochem. 23:3973-3979. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi00312a026
- Little, R. C., G. A. Milliken, W. W. Stroup and R. D. Wolfinger. 2000. SAS system for mixed models. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Miles, P. H., N. S. Wilkinson and L. R. McDowell. 2001. Analysis of minerals for animal nutrition research. Department of Animal Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
- Gulay, M. S., M. J. Hayen, K. C. Bachman, T. Belloso, M. Liboni and H. H. Head. 2003. Milk production and feed intake of Holstein cows given short (30-d) or normal (60-d) dry periods. J. Dairy Sci. 86:2030-2038. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73792-8
- Moore, S. J., M. J. Vandehaar, B. K. Sharma, T. E. Pilbeam, D. K. Beede, H. F. Bucholtz, J. S. Liesman, R. L. Horst and J. P. Goff. 2000. Effects of altering dietary cation-anion difference on calcium and energy metabolism in peripartum cows. J. Dairy Sci. 83:2095-2104. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)75091-0
- Rastani, R. R., R. R. Grummer, S. J. Bertics, A. Gumen, M. C. Wiltbank, D. G. Masek and M. C. Schwab. 2005. Reducing dry period length to simplify feeding to transition cows: milk production, energy balance, and metabolic profiles. 88:1004- 1014. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72768-5