- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Automated Silhouette Extraction Method for Generating a Blueprint from 3D Scan Data of Cultural Asset
문화재의 3D 스캔 데이터로부터 도면을 생성하기 위한 자동화된 실루엣 추출 방법
- Published : 2008.12.28
In this paper, we propose an automated silhouette extraction method that can effectively extract inner-patterns and silhouettes from 3D scan data of cultural asset. First of all, after creating the edge list of 3D vector data, we decide contour edge and crease edge according to viewpoint. In the next step, after extracting surface silhouette by investigating the vector variation of adjacent faces in crease edge, we finally extract the contour silhouette and surface silhouette for generating the blueprint of cultural asset. To evaluate the performance of the proposed silhouette extraction method, we performed experiments of silhouette extraction using a traditional tile model, a car model and a stone monument model. Comparing with the conventional threshold-based silhouette extraction method, the proposed method extracted more distinct and clear surface silhouettes and inner-patterns by effectively removing meaningless edges, such as noise.
- J. D. Fekete and D. H. Salesin, "Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering," In proceedings of Computer Graphics, ACM Press, pp.31-37, 2000.
- T. Isenberg, B. Freudenberg, and N. Halper, "A developer's guide to silhouette algorithms for polygonal models," In proceedings of IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol.9, No.1, pp.28-37, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCG.2003.1210862
- A. Appel, "The notion of quantitative invisibility and the machine rendering of solids," In proceedings of ACM National Conf, pp.387-396, 1967. https://doi.org/10.1145/800196.806007
- D. Epstein, F. Jansen, and J. Rossignac, "Z-Buffer Rendering from CSG: The Trickle Algorithm," IBM Research Report RC 15182, 1989.
- M. L. Xue, J. E. Sun, and K. W. Taeg, "Vector Silhouette Extraction for Generating Blueprint," 2007 IEEE International Conf, Graph, pp.2946-2951, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICAL.2007.4339086
- T. Isenberg and N. Halper, "Stylizing silhouettes at interactive rates: From silhouette edges to silhouette strokes," Computer Graphics Forum 21, 3 Proceedings of Eurographics, pp.249-258, 2002.
- M. S. Peercy, M. Olano, J. Airey, and P. Jeffrey Unga,. "Interactive multi-pass programmable shading," In proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2000, pp.425-432, 2000(7).