- Volume 17 Issue 8 Serial No. 88
DOI QR Code
Identification of Tumor Antigens in Lung Cancer Patient by SEREX
폐암 환자에서 면역항원유전자의 혈청학적 동정
- Min, Young-Ki (Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Pusan National University) ;
- Ha, Jin-Mok (Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Pusan National University) ;
- Son, Young-Ok (Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Hae-Rim (Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Min-Ki (Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Yeoung-Min (Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Cheol-Min (Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Yull (Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Pusan National University)
- 민영기 (부산대학교 의과대학 생화학 교실) ;
- 하진목 (부산대학교 의과대학 생화학 교실) ;
- 손영옥 (부산대학교 의과대학 생화학 교실) ;
- 박해림 (부산대학교 의과대학 생화학 교실) ;
- 이민기 (부산대학교 의과대학 호흡기내과) ;
- 박영민 (부산대학교 의과대학 미생물 및 면역학교실) ;
- 김철민 (부산대학교 의과대학 생화학 교실) ;
- 이상률 (부산대학교 의과대학 생화학 교실)
- Published : 2007.08.30
Serological anlysis of recombinant cDNA expression libraries (SEREX) has led to identification of several categories of new antigens recognized by the immune system of cancer patients, which are referred to as the cancer immunome. We analyzed normal testis cDNA expression libraries with serumobtained from non-small lung cancer patient and isolated 40 distinct antigen designated KP-LuT-1 through KP-LuT-40. Among these antigens 20 antigens were previously identified by SEREX analysis of other tumor types, and 20 out of 40 antigens (50%) did not match entries in Cancer Immunome Database and were considered newly identified antigens. Sequencing analysis showed that the anti-gens comprised 26 functional known proteins and 14 noble/uncharacterized gene products. Of these, the hypothetical protein KP-LuT-6 was shown tissue-restricted. RT-PCR showed it to be expressed strongly only in normal testis. In addition to normal tissues-restricted expression, KP-LuT-6 mRNA was detected in lung tumor samples(3/l0), stomach tumor samples(3/l0), and breast tumor samples(l/5), whereas not detected in colon tumor samples(O/I2). These data suggest that KP-LuT-6 is a cancer/testis (CT)-like antigen as a potential target for cancer immunotherapies.
- Alberg, A. J. and J. M. Samet. 2003. Epidemiology of lung cancer. Chest 123, 21S-49S. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.123.1_suppl.21S
- Ali Eldib, A. M., T. Ono, M. Shimono, M. Kaneko, K. Nakagawa, R. Tanaka, Y. Noguchi and E. Nakayama. 2004. Immunoscreening of a cDNA library from a lung cancer cell line using autologous patient serum: Identification of XAGE-1b as a dominant antigen and its immunogenicity in lung adenocarcinoma. Int. J. Cancer 108, 558-563. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11587
- Antonescu, C. R., K. J. Busam, K. Iversen, D. Kolb, K. Coplan, G. C. Spagnoli, M. Ladanyi, L. J. Old and A. A. Jungbluth. 2002. MAGE antigen expression in monophasic and biphasic synovial sarcoma. Hum. Pathol. Feb;33(2), 225-229. https://doi.org/10.1053/hupa.2002.31295
- Boon, K. and G. J. Riggins. 2003. SAGE as a strategy to isolate cancer-related genes. Methods Mol. Biol. 222, 463-479.
- Brass, N., D. Heckel, U. Sahin, M. Pfreundschuh, G. W. Sybrecht and E. Meese. 1997. Translation initiation factor eIF-4gamma is encoded by an amplified gene and induces an immune response in squamous cell lung carcinoma. Hum. Mol. Genet. 6, 33-39. https://doi.org/10.1093/hmg/6.1.33
- The Cancer Genome Anatomy Project. URL: http://cgap.nci.nih.gov/
- Broker, L. E., G. Giaccone. 2002. The role of new agents in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. Eur. J. Cancer 38, 2347-2361. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(02)00457-4
- D'Souza,S., D. Rimoldi, D. Lienard, D. Lejeune, J. C. Cerottini and P. Romero. 1998. Circulating Melan-A/Mart-1 specific cytolytic T lymphocyte precursors in HLA-A2+ melanoma patients have a memory phenotype. Int. J. Cancer 78, 69-706. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(1998)78:11+<69::AID-IJC20>3.0.CO;2-7
- Gaugler. B., B. Van den Eynde, P. van der Bruggen, P. Romero, J. J. Caforio, E. De Plaen, B. Lethe, F. Brasseur and T. Boon. 1994. Human gene MAGE-3 codes for an antigen recognized on a melanoma by autologous cytolytic T lymphocytes. J. Exp. Med. 179, 921-930. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.179.3.921
- Gure, A. O., E. Stockert, M. J. Scanlan, R. S. Keresztes, D. Jager, N. K. Altorki, L. J. Old, Y. T and Chen. 2000. Serological identification of embryonic neural proteins as highly immunogenic tumor antigens in small cell lung cancer. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97, 4198-4203. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.97.8.4198
- Jager, D., E. Stockert, E. Jager, A. O. Gure, M. J. Scanlan, A. Knuth, L. J. Old and Y. T. Chen. 2000. Serological darting of a melanocyte rab guanosine 5'-triphosphatebinding protein and a chromosome condensation protein from a melanoma complementary DNA library. Cancer Res. 60, 3584-3591.
- Kawakami, Y., T. Fujita, Y. Matsuzaki, T. Sakurai, M. Tsukamoto, M. Toda and H. Sumimoto. 2004. Identification of human tumor antigens and its implications for diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Cancer Sci. 95, 784-791. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2004.tb02182.x
- Klade, C. S. 2002. Proteomics approaches towards antigen discovery and vaccine development. Curr. Opin. Mol. Ther. 4, 216-223.
- Klade, C. S., T. Voss, E. Krystek, H. Ahorn, K. Zatloukal, K. Pummer and G.R. Adolf. 2001. Identification of tumor antigens in renal cell carcinoma by serological proteome analysis. Proteomics 1, 890-898 https://doi.org/10.1002/1615-9861(200107)1:7<890::AID-PROT890>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Koslowski, M., O. Tureci, C. Bell, P. Krause, H. A. Lehr, J. Brunner, G. Seitz, F. O. Nestle, C. Huber and U. Sahin. 2002. Multiple splice variants of lactate dehydrogenase C selectively expressed in human cancer. Cancer Res. 62, 6750-6755.
- Lee, S. Y., B. Williamson, O. L. Caballero, Y. T. Chen, M. J. Scanlan, G. Ritter, C. V. Jongeneel, J. G. Simpson and L. J. Old. 2004. Identification of the gonad specific anion transporter, OATPY, as a cancer testis antigen expressed in human lung cancer, Cancer Immunity 4, 1-8.
- Lee, S. Y., Y. Obata, M. Yoshida, E. Stockert, B. Williamson, A. A. Jungbluth, Y. T. Chen, L. J. Old and M. J. Scanlan. 2003. Immunomic analysis of human sarcoma. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100, 2651-2656. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0437972100
- Novellino, L., N. Renkvist, F. Rini, A Mazzocchi, L. Rivoltini, A.Greco, P. Deho, P. Squarcina, P.F. Robbins, G. Parmiani and C. Castelli. 2003. Identification of a mutated receptor-like protein tyrosine phosphatasekappa as a novel, class II HLA-restricted melanoma antigen. J. Immunol. 170, 6363-6370. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.170.12.6363
- Old, L. J. (2003). Cancer vaccines 2003: opening address. Cancer Immun. 3(Suppl 2), 1-10.
- Pascolo, S., M. Schirle, B. Guckel, T. Dumrese, S. Stumm, S. Kayser, A. Moris, D. Wallwiener, H. G. Rammensee, S. A. Stevanovic. 2001. MAGE-A1 HLA-A A*0201 epitope identified by mass spectrometry. Cancer Res. 61,4072-4077.
- Sahin, U., O. Tureci, H. Schmitt, B. Cochlovius, T. Johannes, R. Schmits, F. Stenner, G. Luo, I. Schobert and M. Pfreundschuh. 1995. Human neoplasms elicit multiple specific immune responses in the autologous host. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92, 11810-11813. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.92.25.11810
- Sahin, D., O. Tureci, Y. T. Chen, G. Seitz, C. VillenaHeinsen, L.J. Old, M. Pfreundschuh. 1998. Expression of multiple cancer/testis antigens in breast cancer and melanoma: basis for polyvalent CT vaccine strategies. Int. J. Cancer 78, 387-389. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19981029)78:3<387::AID-IJC22>3.0.CO;2-2
- Salazar, L. G., J. Fikes, S. Southwood, G. Ishioka, K. L. Knutson, T. A. Gooley, K. Schiffman and M. L. Disis. 2003. Immunization of cancer patients with HER-2/neuderived peptides demonstrating high-affinity binding to multiple class II alleles. Clin. Cancer Res. 9, 5559-5565.
- Scanlan, M. J., A J. Simpson and L. J. Old. 2004. The cancer/testis genes: review, standardization, and commentary. Cancer Immun. 4, 1-15.
- Scanlan, M. J., C. M. Gordon, B. Williamson, S. Y. Lee, Y. T. Chen, E. Stockert, A. Jungbluth, G. Ritter, D. Jager, E. Jager, A. Knuth and L. J. Old. 2002. Identification of cancer/testis genes by database mining and mRNA expression analysis. Int. J. Cancer 98, 485-492. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10276
- Schiavetti, F., J. Thonnard, D. Colau, T. Boon and P. G. Coulie. 2002. A human endogenous retroviral sequence encoding an antigen recognized on melanoma by cytolytic T lymphocytes. Cancer Res. 62, 5510-5516.
- van der, B. P., Y. Zhang, P. Chaux, V. Stroobant, C. Panichelli, E. S. Schultz, J. Chapiro, B. J. Van Den Eynde, F. Brasseur and T. Boon. 2002. Tumor-specific shared antigenic peptides recognized by human T cells. Immunol. Rev. 188, 51-64. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-065X.2002.18806.x