- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Operative Treatment of Scapular Glenoid Fracture
견갑골 관절와 골절의 수술적 치료
- Kang, Ho-Jung (Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yonsei University College Medicine) ;
- Jung, Sung-Hoon (Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kwangmyung Sung-Ae General hospital) ;
- Jung, Min (Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yonsei University College Medicine) ;
- Hahn, Soo-Bong (Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yonsei University College Medicine) ;
- Kim, Sung-Jae (Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yonsei University College Medicine) ;
- Kim, Jong-Min (Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kwangmyung Sung-Ae General hospital)
- 강호정 (연세대학교 의과대학 정형외과학 교실) ;
- 정성훈 (광명성애병원정형외과) ;
- 정민 (연세대학교 의과대학 정형외과학 교실) ;
- 한수봉 (연세대학교 의과대학 정형외과학 교실) ;
- 김성재 (연세대학교 의과대학 정형외과학 교실) ;
- 김종민 (광명성애병원 정형외과)
- Published : 2007.12.15
Purpose: To determine the causes of the surgical treatment results in glenoid fracture by a retrospective analysis. Materials and methods: From March 1999 to February 2004, 9 patients who underwent an open reduction due to a glenoid fracture were reviewed. The modified Ideberg classification was used. There were 1, 3, 2, 1 and 2 cases of modified Ideberg type I, II, III, V, and VI, respectively. The internal fixators were a reconstruction plate, a small plate, a one-third tubular plate, a small screw, and a cannulated screw in 6, 1, 3, 3 and 1 case, respectively. The constant score and Adam's functional assessment method were used to evaluate the postoperative shoulder function. Results: The average time for fracture union was 7 weeks. The functional assessment was excellent in 4 cases, good in 3 cases, and fair in 2 cases. There were two complications related to surgery; articular screw encroachment, and inferior glenoid bone resorption without instability. Conclusion: A glenoid fracture with glenohumeral instability or displaced that was treated by open surgery showed good clinical results. Moreover, the more comminuted fracture had a lower functional score.
Scapula;Glenoid fracture;Open reduction
- Adam FF: Surgical treatment of displaced fractures of the glenoid cavity. Int Orthop, 26: 150-153, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-002-0342-8
- Amstrong CP, Spuy JV: The fractured scapula : importance and management based on a series of 62 patients. Injury, 15: 324-329, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-1383(84)90056-1
- Aulicino PL, Reinert C, Kornberg M, Williamson S: Displaced intra-articular glenoid fractures treated by open reduction and internal fixation. J Trauma, 26: 1137-1141, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-198612000-00017
- Butters KP: Fractures of the scapula. In: Bucholz RW, Heckman JD eds. Rockwood and Green’s fractures in adults Vol 1. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Lippincott: 1080-1108, 2001.
- Constant CR, Murley AHG: A clinical method of functional assessment of the shoulder. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 214: 160-164, 1987.
- Goss TP: Fractures of the Glenoid cavity. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 74: 299-305, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199274020-00019
- Goss TP: Scapular fractures and dislocations : Diagnosis and treatment. J Am Acad Orthop Surg, 3: 22-33, 1995. https://doi.org/10.5435/00124635-199501000-00004
- Hardegger FH, Simpson LA, Weber BG: The operative treatment of scapular fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Br, 66: 725-731. 1984. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198466050-00011
- Heggland EJ, Parker RD: Simultaneous bilateral glenoid fractures associated with glenohumeral subluxation/dislocation in a weight lifter. Orthopedics, 20: 1189-1184, 1997.
- Ideberg R: Fractures of the scapula involving the glenoid fossa. In : Bateman JE, Welsh RP eds. Surgery of the shoulder. Philadephia, Decker: 63-66, 1984.
- Ideberg R, Grevsten S, Larsson S: Epidemiology of scapular fractures : incidence and classification of 338 fratures. Acta Orthop Scand, 66: 396-397, 1995.
- Imatani RJ: Fractures of the scapula : a review of 53 cases. J Trauma, 15: 473-478, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-197506000-00002
- Leung KS, Lam TP, Poon KM: Open reduction and internal fixation of ipsilateral fractures of the scapular neck and clavicle. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 75: 1015-1018, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199307000-00007
- Schandelmaier P, Blauth M, Schneider C, Krettek C: Fractures of the glenoid treated by operation. J Bone Joint Surg Br, 84: 173-177. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.84B2.12357
- Treatment of Anterior Glenoid Rim Fracture with Comminuted Fragment Using Arthroscopic Reduction and AO Headless Compression Screw Fixation - A Case Report - vol.14, pp.1, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5397/CiSE.2011.14.1.094