- Volume 7 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Shear transfer mechanisms in composite columns: an experimental study
- De Nardin, Silvana (Department of Structural Engineering, University of Sao Paulo at Sao Carlos) ;
- El Debs, Ana Lucia H.C. (Avenida Trabalhador Sao-Carlense)
- Received : 2006.11.02
- Accepted : 2007.09.07
- Published : 2007.10.25
In the design of concrete filled composite columns, it is assumed that the load transfer between the steel tube and concrete core has to be achieved by the natural bond. However, it is important to investigate the mechanisms of shear transfer due to the possibility of steel-concrete interface separation. This paper deals with the contribution of headed stud bolt shear connectors and angles to improve the shear resistance of the steel-concrete interface using push-out tests. In order to determine the influence of the shear connectors, altogether three specimens of concrete filled composite column were tested: one without mechanical shear connectors, one with four stud bolt shear connectors and one with four angles. The experimental results showed the mechanisms of shear transfer and also the contribution of the angles and stud bolts to the shear resistance and the force transfer capacity.
concrete-filled steel tube;composite action;bond;connections;load transfer;mechanical shear connectors
- Li, A. and Cederwall, K. (1996),"Push-out tests on studs in high strength and normal strength concrete", J. Construct. Steel Res., 36(1), 15-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(94)00036-H
- Parsley, M. A. and Yura, J. A. and Jirsa, J. O. (2000),"Push-out behavior of rectangular concrete-filled steel tubes", Composite and Hybrid Systems, Riyad S. Aboutaha and Joseph M. Bracci ed., ACI., 87-107 (ACI SP-196).
- Roeder, C. W. and Cameron, C. and Brown, C. B. (1999),"Composite action in concrete filled tubes", J. Struct. Eng., 125(5), 477-484. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:5(477)
- Shakir-Khalil, H. (1993a),"Pushout strength of concrete-filled steel hollow sections", The Struct. Eng., 71(31), 230-233.
- Shakir-Khalil, H. (1993b),"Resistance of concrete-filled steel tubes to pushout forces", The Struct. Engineer, 71(13), 234-243.
- Shim, C.-S, Lee, P.-G. and Yoon, T.-Y. (2004),"Static behavior of large stud shear connectors", Eng. Struct., 26(12), 1853-1860. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.07.011
- Virdi, K. S. and Dowling, P. J. (1980),"Bond strength in concrete filled steel tubes", Proceedings of IABSEInternational Association for Bridge and Struct, Eng., August, 3, 125-137.
- Yoshioka, Y. (1992),"State of art of composite steel tube and concrete structures in Japan", Proceedings of Japan Workshop on Composite and Hybrid Structures, Berkeley, 119-130.
- Zhao, G. and Li, Y. (2006),"Bond capacity of steel reinforced concrete composite short columns", Proceedings of 2nd International Fib Congress, June, Session 5 - Composite and hybrid structures, Naples-Italy, ID5-7.
- Cederwall, K. and Engstrom, B. and Grauers, M. (1990),"High-strength concrete used in composite columns", Proceedings of High-strength Concrete: Second International Symposium, Detroit-USA, 195-214 (ACI SP-121).
- European Committee for Standardization (ECS). (2004),"Eurocode 4: Design of composite steel and concrete structures- Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings", Brussels, EN 1994-1-1:2004, 122p.
- Giakoumelis, G. and Lam, D. (2004),"Axial capacity of circular concrete-filled tube columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 60(7), 1049-1068. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2003.10.001
- Jeong, Y.-Ju and Kim, H.-Y. and Kim, S.-H. (2005),"Partial-interaction analysis with push-out tests", J. Constr. Steel Res., 61(9), 1318-1331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.01.010
- Johansson, M. (2002),"Composite action and confinement effects in tubular steel-concrete columns", Doctoral Thesis, Department of Structural Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 204p.
- Johansson, M. and Kent Gylltoft (2002),"Mechanical behavior of circular steel?concrete composite stub columns", J. Struct. Eng., 128(8), 1073-1081. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:8(1073)
- Johansson, M. (2003)."Composite action in connection regions of concrete-filled steel tube columns", Steel. Compos. Struct., 3(1).
- Kilpatrick, E. and Rangan, B. V. (1999),"Influence of interfacial shear transfer on behavior of concrete-filled steel tubular columns", ACI Struct. J., 96(4), 642-647.
- State of the art of steel–concrete composite structures in Brazil vol.166, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1680/cien.2013.166.6.20
- Post-fire bond between the steel tube and concrete in concrete-filled steel tubular columns vol.67, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.09.006
- Analysis of concrete-filled steel tubular columns with "T" shaped cross section (CFTTS) vol.15, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.15.1.41
- Experimental study on circular concrete filled steel tubes with and without shear connectors vol.16, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.16.1.097
- Structural behavior of partially encased composite columns under axial loads vol.20, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.20.6.1305
- Bond-slip behaviour of concrete-filled stainless steel circular hollow section tubes vol.130, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.12.012
- Bond behaviors of shape steel embedded in recycled aggregate concrete and recycled aggregate concrete filled in steel tubes vol.17, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.6.929
- Refining bond–slip constitutive relationship between checkered steel tube and concrete vol.79, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.12.058
- Study on the Bond-Slip Performance of CFSSTs Based on Push-Out Tests vol.2018, pp.1687-8442, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/2959827
- Strength of Reinforced Fibrous Foamed Concrete-Filled Hollow Section vol.936, pp.1662-9752, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.936.219
- Tension Chord Model and Flexural Stiffness for Circular CFST in Bending pp.2093-6311, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-018-0096-9
- Transfer of shear stresses at steel-concrete interface vol.12, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/stco.201800024