- Volume 20 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Nutritional Regulation of GLUT Expression, Glucose Metabolism, and Intramuscular Fat Content in Porcine Muscle
- Katsumata, M. (National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Sciences) ;
- Kaji, Y. (National Agricultural Research Center for Kyushu Okinawa Region) ;
- Takada, R. (National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Sciences) ;
- Dauncey, M.J. (Wolfson College, University of Cambridge)
- Published : 2007.08.01
We conducted a series of investigations in order to elucidate role of nutritional status in regulating GLUT expression and energy metabolism in porcine muscle. Firstly, the role of mild undernutrition in regulating muscle GLUT gene expression and function was studied in growing pigs (3 wk of age) on a high (H) or low (L) food intake (H = 2L) at
- Charon, M. J. and B. B. Kahn. 1990. Divergent molecular mechanisms for insulin-resistant glucose transport in muscle and adipose cells in vivo. J. Biol. Chem. 265:7994-8000.
- Crace, C. J., P. G. Kohn, A. J. Strain and I. Swenne. 1990. Protein-energy malnutrition induces changes in insulin sensitivity. Diabete Metab. 16:484-491.
- Ellis, M. and F. McKeith. 1999. Nutritional influences on pork quality. In: Pork Fact Sheets, pp. 1-8. Am. Meat Sci. Assoc. Savoy, IL.
- Goodband, R. D., J. L. Nelssen, R. H. Hines, D. H. Kropf, R. C. Thaler, B. R. Schricker, G. E. Fitzner and A. J. Lewis. 1990. The effects of porcine somatotropin and dietary lysine on growth performance and carcass characteristics of finishing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 68:3261-3276. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.68103261x
- Henriksen, E. J., R. E. Bourey, K. J. Rodnick, L. Koranyi, M. A. Permutt and J. O. Holloszy. 1990. Glucose transporter protein content and glucose transport activity in rat skelet al., muscles. Am. J. Physiol. 259:E593-E598.
- Ieiri, S., T. Sakimura, M. Ishibashi, M. Katsumata and Y. Kaji. 2007. Enhancement of intramuscular fat content in Longissimus Dorsi muscle of finishing pigs fed a low lysine diet including bread crumbs. Jpn. J. Swine Sci. 44:8-16. https://doi.org/10.5938/youton.44.8
- Katsumata, M., K. A. Burton, J. Li and M. J. Dauncey. 1999. Suboptimal energy balance selectively up-regulates muscle GLUT gene expression but reduces insulin-dependent glucose uptake during postnatal development. FASEB J. 13:1405-1413. https://doi.org/10.1096/fasebj.13.11.1405
- Katsumata, M., S. Kawakami, Y. Kaji, R. Takada and M. J. Dauncey. 2001. Low lysine diet selectively up-regulates muscle GLUT4 gene and protein expression during postnatal development. Energy metabolism in animals. EAAP publication No. 103:237-239.
- Katsumata, M., S. Kawakami, Y. Kaji, R. Takada and M. J. Dauncey. 2002. Differential regulation of porcine hepatic IGFI mRNA expression and plasma IGF-I concentration by a low lysine diet. J. Nutr. 132:688-692. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.4.688
- Katsumata, M., S. Kawakami, Y. Kaji and R. Takada. 2004. Circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor-1 and associated binding proteins in plasma and mRNA expression in tissues of growing pigs on a low threonine diet. Anim. Sci. 79:85-92.
- Katsumata, M., S. Kobayashi, M. Matsumoto, E. Tsuneishi and Y. Kaji. 2005. Reduced intake of dietary lysine promotes accumulation of intramuscular fat in the Longissimus dorsi muscles of finishing gilts. Anim. Sci. J. 76:237-244. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2005.00261.x
- Kim, Y., T. Tamura, S. Iwashita, K. Tokuyama and M. Suzuki. 1994. Effect of high-fat diet on gene expression of GLUT4 and insulin receptor in soleus muscle. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 202:519-526. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1994.1959
- Lohrke, B., E. Saggau, R. Schadereit, J. Voigt, M. Beyer, O. Bellmann, S. Kuhla and H. Hagemeister. 2001. Up-regulation of the skelet al., muscle system A for neutral amino acid transport in soy protein-fed pigs in comparison with casein diet. Energy metabolism in animals. EAAP publication No.103:249-252.
- Neufer, P. D., J. O. Carey and G. L. Dohm. 1993. Transcriptional regulation of the gene for glucose transporter GLUT4 in skelet al., muscle. Effects of diabetes and fasting. J. Biol. Chem. 268:13824-13829.
- Nikami, H., Y. Shimizu, D. Endoh, H. Yano and M. Saito. 1992. Cold exposure increases glucose utilization and glucose transporter expression in brown adipose tissue. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 185:1078-1082. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-291X(92)91736-A
- Ozanne, S. E., C. L. Wang, N. Coleman and G. D. Smith. 1996. Altered muscle insulin sensitivity in the male offspring of protein-malnourished rats. Am. J. Physiol. 271:E1128-E1134.
- Reis, M. A. B., E. M. Carneiro, M. A. R. Mello, A. C. Boschero, M. J. A. Saad and L. A. Velloso. 1997. Glucose-induced insulin secretion is impaired and insulin-dependent phosphorylation of the insulin receptor and insulin receptor substrate-1 are increased in protein-deficient rats. J. Nutr. 127:403-410. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/127.3.403
- Weinstein, S. P., E. O'Boyle and R. S. Haber. 1994. Thyroid hormone increases basal and insulin-stimulated glucose transport in skelet al., muscle. The role of GLUT4 glucose transporter expression. Diabetes 43:1185-1189. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.43.10.1185
- Streptomycete endophytes from anti-diabetic medicinal plants of the Western Ghats inhibit alpha-amylase and promote glucose uptake vol.58, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/lam.12209