- Volume 20 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Fermentation Quality of Italian Ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) Silages Treated with Encapsulated-glucose, Glucose, Sorbic Acid and Pre-fermented Juices
- Shao, Tao (Department of Grassland Science, College of Animal Sciences and Technology Nanjing Agricultural University) ;
- Zhanga, L. (Department of Grassland Science, College of Animal Sciences and Technology Nanjing Agricultural University) ;
- Shimojo, M. (Laboratory of Animal Feed Science, Division of Animal Science, Department of Animal and Marine Bioresource Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University) ;
- Masuda, Y. (Laboratory of Animal Feed Science, Division of Animal Science, Department of Animal and Marine Bioresource Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University)
- Received : 2006.07.05
- Accepted : 2007.01.12
- Published : 2007.11.01
This experiment was carried out to evaluate the effects of adding encapsulated-glucose, glucose, sorbic acid or prefermented juice of epiphytic lactic acid bacteria (FJLB) on the fermentation quality and residual mono- and disaccharide composition of Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam) silages. The additive treatments were as follows: (1) control (no addition), (2) encapsulated-glucose addition at 0.5% for glucose, (3) glucose addition at 1%, (4) sorbic acid addition at 0.1%, (5) FJLB addition at a theoretical application rate of
- Shao, T., Z. X. Zhang, M. Shimojo, T. Wang and Y. Masuda. 2005b. Comparison of fermentation characteristics of Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) and guineagrass (Panicum maximum Jacq.) during the early stage of ensiling. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1727-1734. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1727
- Tamada, J., H. Yokota, M. Oshima and I. Choi. 1996. Effect of application of cellulase and lactic acid bacteria inoculant on the fermentation quality of napier grass (Pennisetum purpureum Schum.) silage. Proc. 8th AAAP Anim. Sci. Congr. Jap. Soc. Zootech. Sci. Tokyo Japan. pp. 2:256-257.
- Shao, T., M. Shimojo, T. Wang and Y. Masuda. 2005a. Effect of additives on the fermentation quality and residual mono-and disaccharides compositions of forage oats (Avena sativa L.) and Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) silages. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1582-1588. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1582
- Barker, S. B. and W. H. Summerson. 1941. The colorimetric determination of lactic acid in biological material. J. Biol. Chem. 138:535-554.
- Alli, I., S. Pabari, R. Fairbairn and B. E. Baker. 1985. The effects of sorbates on the ensilage of chopped whole-plant maize and lucerne. J. Sci. Food Agric. 36:63-70. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740360202
- AOAC. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis. 14th ed. Association of Official and Analytical Chemists Arlington, Virginia-22201.
- Dewar, W. A. and P. McDonald. 1961. Determination of dry matter in silage by distillation with toluene. J. Sci. Food Agric. 12:790-795. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740121112
- Catchpoole, V. R. and E. F. Henzell. 1971. Silage and silage making from tropical herbage species. Herb. Abstr. 41:213-219.
- Hattori, I., S. Kumai and R. Fukumi. 1996 Concentration of caproic and sorbic acids effective for inhibition of aerobic deterioration. Anim. Sci. Technol. 67:1101-1109.
- Lacey, J., K. A. Lord and G. R. Cayley. 1981. Chemicals for preservative for moulding in damp hay. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 6:323-326. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(81)90011-0
- Hellings, P. H., G. Bertin and M. Vanbelle. 1985. Effect of lactic acid bacteria on silage fermentation. Proc. 15th Int. Grassl. Congr. 932-933.
- Masuko, T. S., T. Uchimura and K. Awaya. 1992. Effects of inoculation with lactic acid bacteria culture at ensiling on the fermentative quality and flora of lactic acid bacteria of grass silage. Anim. Sci. Technol. 63:1182-1187.
- Ridla, M. and S. Uchida. 1998b. Effects of combined treatment of lactic acid bacteria and cell wall degrading enzymes on fermentation and composition of Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) silage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 11:277-284. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1998.277
- Ridla, M. and S. Uchida. 1998a. Effects of combined treatment of lactic acid bacteria and cell wall degrading enzymes on fermentation and composition of rhodesgrass (Chloris gayana kunth.) silage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 11:522-529. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1998.522
- Ohyama, Y., T. Morichi and S. Masaki. 1975. The effect of inoculation with Lactobacillus Plantarum and the addition of glucose at ensiling on the quality of aerated silages. J. Sci. Food Agric. 26:1001-1008. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740260717
- McDonald, P., A. R. Henderson and S. J. E. Heron. 1991. The Biochemistry of silage. (2nd ed). Cambrian Printers Ltd. Aberystwyth. pp. 184-236.
- Ohshima, M., Y. Ohshima, E. Kimura and H. Yokota. 1997. Fermentation quality of alfalfa and Italian ryegrass silages treated with previously fermented juices prepared from both the herbages. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Jpn.) 68:41-44.
- Shao, T., N. Ohba, M. Shimojo and Y. Masuda. 2004. Effects of adding glucose, sorbic acid and Pre-fermented juices on the fermentation quality of guineagrass (Panicum maximum Jacq.) silages. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:808-813. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.808
- Shao, T., N. Ohba, M. Shimojo and Y. Masuda. 2002. Dynamics of early fermentation of Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) silage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1606-1610. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1606
- Rooke, J. A. 1990. The numbers of epiphytic bacteria on grass at ensilage on commercial farms. J. Sci. Food Agric. 51:525-523. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740510409
- SAS Institute Inc. 1984. SAS/STAT User's Guide:Version 6. 4th ed. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Woolford, M. K. 1975 Microbiological screening of food preservation, cold sterilants and specific antimicrobial agents as potential silage additives. J. Sci. Food Agric. 26:229-237. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740260214
- Weinberg, Z. G., G. Ashbell and B. Horev. 1989. The effect of sorbic acid on loss reduction during storage of orange peels. J. Sci. Food Agric. 46:253-258. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740460302
- Weinberg, Z. G., G. Ashbell and A. Azrieli. 1988. The effect of applying lactic acid bacteria in ensiling on the chemical and microbiological composition of vetch, wheat and alfalfa silages. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 64:1-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1988.tb02423.x
- Woolford, M. K. and M. K. Sawczyc. 1984. An investigation into the effect of cultures of lactic acid bacteria on fermentation in silage. 1. Strain selection. Grass Forage Sci. 39:139-148. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1984.tb01675.x
- Effects of fibrolytic enzymes, molasses and lactic acid bacteria on fermentation quality of mixed silage of corn and hulless-barely straw in the Tibetan Plateau vol.60, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/grs.12060
- Characteristics of isolated lactic acid bacteria and their effects on the silage quality vol.30, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0589
- L.) leaf silage at low temperatures vol.63, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/grs.12162
- Isolating and evaluating lactic acid bacteria strains for effectiveness on silage quality at low temperatures on the Tibetan Plateau vol.88, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12852
- L.) straw on the Tibetan Plateau pp.17446961, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/grs.12191
- Effects of Silage Additives on Biogas Production of Hybrid Penisetum vol.1070-1072, pp.1662-8985, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.1070-1072.112
- Silage review: Recent advances and future uses of silage additives vol.101, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2017-13839
- Effect of physical damage to ears of corn before harvest and treatment with various additives on the concentration of mycotoxins, silage fermentation, and aerobic stability of corn silage vol.95, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-4610
- MTD-1 pp.1828-051X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/1828051X.2018.1528899