- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Postmortem Metabolic Rate on Meat Color
- Park, B.Y. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Lee, J.M. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Hwang, I.H. (Department of Animal Resources and Biotechnology, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2006.07.26
- Accepted : 2006.11.02
- Published : 2007.04.01
The current study was conducted to evaluate carcass characteristics, objectives and sensory meat qualities of Hanwoo longissimus muscle as affected by ultimate pH. Twenty-four steers and bulls (
Supported by : Chonbuk National University
- Becker, T., E. Benner and K. Glitsch. 1998. Report on consumer behaviour towards meat in Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Sweden and The United Kingdom, Department of Agricultural Policy and Agricultural Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Cho, S. H., J. M. Lee, J. H. Kim, B. Y. Park, Y. M. Yoo and Y. K. Kim. 1999. Survey of consumer perception and demand on beef market. Kor. J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 19:352-360.
- Cho, S. H., B. Y. Park, J. H. Kim, I. H. Hwang, J. H. Kim and J. M. Lee. 2006. Fatty Acid Profiles and Sensory Properties of Longissimus dorsi, Triceps brachii, and Semimembranosus Muscles from Korean Hanwoo and Australian Angus Beef. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1786-1790. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1786
- Devine, C. E., N. M. Wahlgren and E. Tornberg. 1999. Effect of rigor temperature on muscle shortening and tenderization of restrained and unrestrained beef longissimus thoracicus et lumborum. Meat Sci. 51:61-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00098-9
- Dransfield, E. 1996. The texture of meat: conditioning and ageing (Ed. S. A. Taylor, A. R. Raimundo, M. Severini and F. J. M. Smulders) 1996. Meat quality and meat packaging ECCEAMST, Utrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 65-87.
- Gasperlin, L. 1998. Colour of raw and thermally treated beef muscles m. longissimus dorsi and m. psoas major of normal and DFD (dark, firm and dry) quality. Dissertation thesis. Ljubljana, University of Ljubljana, Biotechnical Faculty, Department of Food Science and Technology, p. 104.
- Malmfors, G. and E. Wiklund. 1996. Pre-slaughter handling of reindeer-effects on meat quality. Meat Sci. 43:257-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(96)00070-8
- Park, B. Y., I. H. Hwang, S. H. Cho, Y. M. Yoo, J. H. Kim, J. M. Lee, R. Polkinghorne and J. M. Thompson. 2006. Beef palatability as assessed by Korean and Australian consumers: 3. The effect of carcass suspension and cooking method on the palatability of three muscles. Meat Sci. (in press)
- Renerre, M. 1986. Influence de facteurs biologiques et technologiques sur la couleur de la viande bovine. Bulletin Technique C.R.Z.V. Theix, I.N.R.A. 65, pp. 41-45.
- Seideman, S. C., H. R. Cross, G. C. Smith and P. R. Durland. 1984. Factors associated with fresh meat color: a review. J. Food Quality. 63:211-237.
- SAS. 1997. Applied statistics and the SAS programming language. SAS Institute INC, Cary, NC, USA.
- Watanabe, A., C. C. Daly and C. E. Devine. 1996. The effects of the ultimate pH of meat on tenderness changes during ageing. Meat Sci. 42:67-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(95)00012-7
- Young, O. A., A. Priolo, N. J. Simmons and J. West. 1999. Effects of rigor attainment temperature on meat blooming and colour on display. Meat Sci. 52:47-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00147-8
- Wulf, J. M., J. D. Tatum, R. D. Green, J. B. Morgan, B. K. Golden and G. C. Smith. 1996. Genetic influences on beef longissimus palatability in Charolais- and Limousin-sired steers and heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2394-2405. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.74102394x
- Schaefer, A. L., S. D. M. Jones and R. W. Stanley. 1997. The use of electrolyte solutions for reducing transport stress. J. Anim. Sci. 75:258-265. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.751258x
- Gasperlin, L., B. Zlender and A. Pegan. 1997. Illustrated colour standards for fresh and cooked young beef. In: Technology- Food-Health. 1st Slovenian Congress on Food and Nutrition with International Participation, Bled, Slovenia, 21-25 April 1996. Proceedings. Ljubljana, Association of Food and Nutrition Specialists of Slovenia, pp. 464-467.
- Gasperlin, L., B. Zlender and V. Abram. 2000. Colour of normal and high pH beef heated to different temperatures as related to oxygenation. Meat Sci. 54:391-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00115-1
- Silva, J. A., L. Patarata and C. Martins. 1999. Influence of ultimate pH on bovine meat tenderness during ageing. Meat Sci. 52:453-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00029-7
- Viljoen, H. F., H. L. de Kock and E. C. Webb. 2002. Consumer acceptability of dark, firm and dry (DFD) and normal pH beef steaks. Meat Sci. 61:181-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00183-8
- Wahlgren, N. M. and E. Tornberg. 1996. Ageing of beef studied by using different instrumental techniques and sensory tenderness. Proceedings of the 42nd International Comgress on Meat Science and Technology, Norway, pp. 432-433.
- Dumont, B. L. 1981. Eating quality of beef. The problem of darkcutting in beef (Ed. D. E. Hood and P. V. Tarrant). pp. 344-358. The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers.
- Claeys, E., L. Uytterhaegen, D. Demeyer and S. De Smet. 1994. Beef myofibrillar protein salt solubility in relation to tenderness and proteolysis. Proceedings of 40th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology (S-IVB. 09). The Hague, The Netherlands.
- Savell, J. W., S. L. Mueller and B. E. Baird. 2005. The chilling of carcasses. Meat Sci. 70:449-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.06.027
- Offer, G. and T. Cousins. 1992. The mechanism of drip production: Formation of two compartments of extracellular space in muscle post mortem. J. Sci. Food Agric. 58:107-116. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740580118
- Bendall, J. R. 1976. Electrical stimulation of rabbit and lamb carcasses. J. Sci. Food Agric. 27:819-826. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740270905
- Dransfield, E. 1981. Beef quality, marketing and the consumer. (Ed. E. D. Hood and P. V. Tarrant), The problemof dark-cutting in beef (pp. 344-358). The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers.
- Purchas, R. W., X. Yan and D. G. Hartley. 1999. The influence of a period of ageing on the relationship between ultimate pH and shear values of beef m. longissimus thoracis. Meat Sci. 51:135-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00111-9
- Warriss, P. D. 1993. In proc. 39th ICoMST, Calgary, Canada, 51.
- Devine, C. E., S. R. Payne, B. M. Peachey, T. E. Lowe, J. R. Ingram and C. J. Cook. 2002. High and low rigor temperature effects on sheep meat tenderness and ageing. Meat Sci. 60:141-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00115-2
- Tornberg, E. 1996. Biophysical aspects of meat tenderness. Meat Sci. 43(suppl.):175-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(96)00064-2
- Olsson, U., N. M. Wahlgren and E. Tornberg. 1995. The influence of pre-slaughter stress on muscle shortening, isometric tension and meat tenderness of beef. Proceedings of the 41st International Congress on Meat Science and Technology, San Antonio, pp. 614-615.
- Abril, M., M. M. Campo, A. onenc, C. Sanudo, P. Alberti and A. I. Negueruela. 2001. Beef colour evolution as a function of ultimate pH. Meat Sci. 58:69-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00133-9
- Renerre, M. and R. Labas. 1987. Biochemical factors influencing metmyoglobin formation in beef muscles. Meat Sci. 19:151-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(87)90020-9
- Wheeler, T. L., S. D. Shackelford and M. Koohmaraie. 2000. Relationship of beef longissimus tenderness classes to tenderness of gluteus medius, semimembranosus, and biceps femoris. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2856-2861. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78112856x
- APGS. 1995. Report of business for animal products grading. Animal products grading system, National Livestock Cooperatives Federation, Seoul, Korea.
- Bouton, P. E., P. V. Harris and W. R. Shorthose. 1971. Effect of ultimate pH upon the water-holding capacity and tenderness of mutton. J. Food Sci. 36:435-439. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1971.tb06382.x
- Katsaras, K. and P. Peetz. 1990. Morphological changes in dark cutting beef when heated. Fleischwirtschaft. 70:68-70.
- Growth Performance, Carcass Yield, and Quality and Chemical Traits of Meat from Commercial Korean Native Ducks with 2-Way Crossbreeding vol.28, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.13.0620
- Association of carcass weight with quality and functional properties of beef from Hanwoo steers vol.55, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN13411
- Causes and Contributing Factors to “Dark Cutting” Meat: Current Trends and Future Directions: A Review vol.16, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12258