- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Collection Methods on Recovery Efficiency, Maturation Rate and Subsequent Embryonic Developmental Competence of Oocytes in Holstein Cow
- Wang, Zheng-guang ;
- Yu, Song-dong ;
- Xu, Zi-rong
- Received : 2006.03.20
- Accepted : 2006.06.20
- Published : 2007.04.01
Holstein cow ovaries obtained at a slaughterhouse were used to study the influence of the oocyte collection methods (slicing, puncture, aspiration I and II) on recovery efficiency and subsequent in vitro maturation and embryonic development competence of immature oocytes recovered. In the slicing method, the whole ovarian was chopped into small pieces with a surgical blade. In the puncture method, the whole ovarian surface was punctured by 18-g needle. In other 2 aspiration methods, collected oocytes by aspirating from the visible follicles using an 18-g needle attached to a 5 ml syringe (aspiration I) or using a constant negetive pressure (-80 mmHg) with a vacuum pump (aspiration II). The oocytes were classified into 4 classes on the basis of the morphology of cumulus cells and cytoplasmic appearance of oocyte. Slicing (
Collection Methods;Holstein Cow;Recovery Efficiency;Oocyte Maturation Rate;Embryonic Developmental Competence
- Boediono, A., R. Rajamahendran, S. Saha, C. Sumantni and T. Suzuki. 1995. Effect of the presence of a CL in the ovary on oocyte number, cleavage rate and blastocyst production in vitro in cattle. Theriogenol. 43:169 (Abstr.). https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(95)92323-2
- Datta, T. K., S. L. Goswami and S. K. Das. 1993. Comparative efficiency of three oocyte recovery methods from sheep ovaries. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 63:1178-1179.
- Gordon, I. 2003. Laboratory production of cattle embryos. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- Manik, R. S., S. K. Singla and P. Palta. 2003. Collection of oocytes through transvaginal ultrasound-guided aspiration of follicles in an Indian breed of cattle. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 76:155-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(02)00241-5
- Mogas, T., A. Martino, M. J. Palomo and M. T. Paramio. 1992. Effect of method of recovery on the number and type of oocytes obtained for IVM. J. Reprod. Fertil. 9:53(Abstr.).
- Parrish, J. J., J. L. Susko-Parrish, M. L. Leibfried-Rutledge, E. S. Crister, W. H. Eyestone and N. L. First. 1986. Bovine in vitro fertilization with frozen-thawed semen. Theriogenol. 25:591-600. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(86)90143-3
- Pawshe, C. H., S. M. Totey and S. K. Jain. 1994. A comparison of three methods of recovery of goat oocytes for in vitro maturation and fertilization. Theriogenol. 42:117-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(94)90668-9
- Sutton-McDowall, M. L., R. B. Gilchrist and J. G. Thompson. 2005. Effect of hexoses and gonadotrophin supplementation on bovine oocyte nuclear maturation during in vitro maturation in a synthetic follicle fluid medium. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 17:407-415. https://doi.org/10.1071/RD04135
- Wani, N. A., G. M. Wani, M. Z. Khan and M. A. Sidiqi. 1999. Effect of different factors on the recovery rate of oocytes for in vitro maturation and in vitro fertilisation procedures in sheep. Small. Ruminant. Res. 34:71-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00046-2
- Carolan, C., P. Monaghan, A. Mehmood, P. Lonergan, M. Gallagher and I. Gordon. 1992. Slicing of bovine ovaries as a means of oocyte recovery. J. Reprod. Fertil. 9:51(Abstr.).
- Das, G. K., G. C. Jain, V. S. Solanki and V. N. Tripathi. 1996. Efficacy of various collection methods for oocyte retrieval in buffalo. Theriogenol. 46:1403-1411. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(96)00319-6
- Luo, H. L., K. Kimura and M. Hirako. 2006. Vascular endothelial growth factor has beneficial effect independent of serum components throughout oocyte maturation and early embryonic development in cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:495-499. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.495
De Wit, A. A. C. and A. M. Th. Kruip. 2001. Bovine cumulusoocyte- complex-quality is reflected in sensitivity for
$\alpha$- amanitin, oocyte-diameter and developmental capacity. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 65:51-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(00)00215-3
- Agrawal, K. P., T. Sharma, C. Sexana and N. Sharma. 1995. Chronology of first meiotic events of caprine oocytes matured in vitro. Indian. J. Anim. Sci. 65:285-288.
- Shirazi, A., N. Shams-Esfandabadi and S. M. Hosseini. 2005. A comparison of two recovery methods of ovine oocytes for in vitro maturation. Small. Ruminant. Res. 58:283-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2004.11.002
- Chauhan, M. S., S. K. Singla, P. Palta, R. S. Manik and M. L. Madan, 1998. In vitro maturation and fertilization, and subsequent development of buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) embryos: effects of oocyte quality and type of serum. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 10:173-177. https://doi.org/10.1071/R97080
- Keskintepe, L. and B. G. Brackett. 1996. In vitro developmental competence of in vitro matured bovine oocytes fertilized and cultured in completely defined media. Biol. Reprod. 55:333-339. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod55.2.333
- Bilodeau-Goeseels, S. and P. Panich. 2002. Effects of oocyte quality on development and transcriptional activity in earlybovine embryos. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 71:143-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(01)00188-9
- SAS. 1989. SAS/STAT User's Guide, Version 6.04. SAS Institute Inc., N. C. Cary.
- Bavister, B. D., M. L. Leibfried and G. Lieberman. 1983. Development of pre-implantation embryos of the golden hamster in a defined culture medium. Biol. Reprod. 28:235-247. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod28.1.235
- Keskintepe, L., C. A. Burnley and B. G. Brackett. 1995. Production of viable bovine blastocysts in defined in vitro conditions. Biol. Reprod. 52:1410-1417 https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod52.6.1410
- Miller, G. F., D. W. Gliedt, J. M. Rakes and R. W. Rorie. 1994. Addition of penicillamine, hypotaurine and epinephrine (PHE) or bovine oviductal epithelial cells (BOEC) alone or in combination to bovine in vitro fertilization medium increases the subsequent embryo cleavage rate. Theriogenol. 41:689-696. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(94)90178-L
- Nowshari, M. A. 2005. The effect of harvesting technique on efficiency of oocyte collection and different maturation media on the nuclear maturation of oocytes in camels (Camelus dromedarius). Theriogenol. 63:2471-2481. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2004.09.057
- In Vitro Ovine Embryo Production: the Study of Seasonal and Oocyte Recovery Method Effects vol.16, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.20749
- Effect of harvesting technique and presence or absence of corpus luteum on in vitro development after parthenogenetic activation of oocytes recovered from buffalo ovaries vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2014.315-320
- Effect of nutritional status on the ovarian follicular population, yield and quality of oocytes in the Ngaoundere Gudali zebu (Bos indicus) vol.8, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2015.502-507
Supported by : Zhejiang Science and Technology Committee