- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparisons of Chicken Muscles between Layer and Broiler Breeds Using Proteomics
- Jung, K. C. (Division of Animal Science and Resources, Research Center for Transgenic Cloned Pigs Chungnam National University) ;
- Jung, W. Y. (Division of Animal Science and Resources, Research Center for Transgenic Cloned Pigs Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Y. J. (Division of Animal Science and Resources, Research Center for Transgenic Cloned Pigs Chungnam National University) ;
- Yu, S. L. (Division of Animal Science and Resources, Research Center for Transgenic Cloned Pigs Chungnam National University) ;
- Choi, K. D. (The Graduate School of Bio & Information Technology, Hankyong National University) ;
- Jang, B. G. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Jeon, J. T. (Division of Applied Life Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, J. H. (Division of Animal Science and Resources, Research Center for Transgenic Cloned Pigs Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2006.04.26
- Accepted : 2006.11.01
- Published : 2007.03.01
The present study was carried out to investigate differentially expressed chicken muscle proteins using proteomics approach. More than 300 protein spots were investigated for the muscle samples in 2DE gels and the differentially expressed protein spots between pectoralis and peroneus longus muscles from Cornish and White Leghorn breeds were characterized by MALDI-TOF. In pectoralis muscles, PGAM1 protein was detected as differentially expressed between White Leghorn and Cornish breeds. On the other hand, 4 protein spots (SP22, nxf-2, SOD1, TNNI2) were differentially expressed between White Leghorn and Cornish breeds in peroneus longus muscles. These proteins assumed to be related with muscle development, growth, stress, and movements in chicken. In this experimental process, 2D reference map of the chicken muscle proteins was needed and 25 proteins, which were commonly expressed in both pectoralis and peroneus longus muscles in both breeds, were selected and characterized. Upon finishing the exact roles of the differentially expressed proteins, the identified 5 proteins will be used as valuable information for the fundamental mechanisms of muscle biology and underline genetics.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration, Korea Science & Engineering Foundation
- Fumihito, A., S. Miyake, M. Sumi, M. Takada, S. Ohno and N. Kondo. 1994. One subspecies of the Red Jungle Fowl (Gallus gallus gallus) suffices as the matriarchic ancestor of all domestic breeds. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA) 91:12505-12509. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.91.26.12505
- Monteiro, H. P. and A. Stern. 1996. Redox modulation of tyrosine phosphorylation-dependent signal transduction pathways. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 21:323-333. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(96)00051-2
- Schulze-Ostliof, K., A. C. Bakker, B. Vanhaesebroeck, R. Bayaert, W. A. Jacob and W. Fiers. 1992. Cytotoxic activity of tumor ne- crosis factor is mediated by early damage of mitochondria1 function: Evidence for the involvement of mitochondrial radical generation, J. Biol. Chem. 267:5317-5323.
- Wood, Z. A., E. Schroder, J. Robin Harris and L. B. Poole. 2003. Structure, mechanism and regulation of peroxiredoxins. Trends Biochem. Sci. 28:32-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0968-0004(02)00003-8
- Arthur, J. A. 1986. An evaluation of industry breeding programs for egg type chickens. In: Third World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production. X. Breeding Programs for Swine, Poultry, and Fish. July 16-22, Lincoln, NE. pp. 325-336.
- Crawford, R. D. 1990. Poultry genetic resources: evolution, diversity, and conservation. In: (Ed. R. D. Crawford) Poult. Breed. Genet. Elsevier. New York. pp. 43-60.
- Whittaker, J. W. 2003. The irony of manganese superoxide dismutase. Biochem. Soc. Trans. 31(6):1318-1321. https://doi.org/10.1042/BST0311318
- Burt, D. W. 2005. Chicken genome: Current status and future opportunities. Genome Res. 15:1692-1698. https://doi.org/10.1101/gr.4141805
- Didion, S. P., D. A. Kinzenbaw, P. E. Fegan, L. A. Didion and F. M. Faraci. 2004. Overexpression of CuZn-SOD prevents ipopolysaccharide-induced endothelial dysfunction. Stroke. 35:1963-1967. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000132764.06878.c5
- Berchtold, M. W., H. Brinkmeier and M. Muntener. 2000. Calcium ion in skeletal muscle: its crucial role for muscle function, plasticity, and disease. Physiol. Rev. 80(3):1215-1265. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.2000.80.3.1215
- Jung, K. C., S. L. Yu, Y. J. Lee, K. D. Choi, J. S. Choi, Y. H. Kim, B. G. Jang, S. H. Kim, D. H. Hahm and J. H. Lee. 2005. Muscle proteome analysis for the effect of Panax Ginseng Extracts in chicken: identification of proteins using peptide mass fingerprinting. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:922-926. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.922
- Sundaresan, M., Z.-X. Yu, V. J. Ferrans, K. Irani and T. Finkel. 1995. Requirement for generation of H,O, for platelet-derived growth factor signal transduction. Sci. 270:296-299. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.270.5234.296
- Watabe, S., K. Kohno, H. Kouyama, T. Hiroi, N. Yago and T. Nakazawa. 1994. Purification and characterization of a substrate protein for mitochondrial ATP-dependent protease in bovine adrenal cortex. J. Biochem. 115:648-654. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jbchem.a124390
- Zhu, L., G. Perez-Alvarado and R. Wade. 1994. Sequencing of a cDNA encoding the human fast-twitch skeletal muscle isoform of troponin I. Biochem. Biophys. Acta 1217:338-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4781(94)90297-6
- Burgess, S. C. 2004. Proteomics in the chicken: Tools for understanding immune response to avian diseases. Poult. Sci. 83:552-573. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.4.552
- Emsley, A. 1993. Aspirations of breeders in the poultry industry as manipulation of the avian genome continues. In: (Ed. R. J. Etches and A. M. Verrinder Gibbins) Manipulation of the Avian Genome. CRC Press. Boca Raton, FL. pp. 275-284.
- Mullen, A. J. and P. J. R. Barton. 2000. Structural characterization of the human fast skeletal muscle troponin I gene (TNNI2). Gene. 242:313-320. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1119(99)00519-3
- Schreck, R., P. Rieber and A. Baeuerle. 1991. Reactive oxygen intermediates as apparently widely used messengers in the activation of the NF-KB transcription factor and HIV-1. EMBO J. 10:2247-2258.
- Iadecola, C., F. Zhang, K. Niwa, C. Eckman, S. K. Turner, E. Fischer, S. Younkin, D. R. Borchelt, K. K. Hsiaoa and G. A. Carlson. 1999. SOD1 rescues cerebral endothelial dysfunction in mice overexpressing amyloid precursor protein. Nat. Neurosci. 2:157-161. https://doi.org/10.1038/5715
- Moller, A. P. and J. Manning. 2003. Growth and developmental instability. Vet Journal. 166:19-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1090-0233(02)00262-9
- Kamii, H., I. Kato, H. Kinouchi, P. H. Chan, C. J. Epstein, A. Akabane, H. Okamoto and T. Yoshimoto. 1999. Amelioration of vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage in transgenic mice overexpressing CuZn-superoxide dismutase. Stroke. 30:867-872. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.30.4.867