- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Meat Quality and Storage Characteristics Depending on PSE Status of Broiler Breast Meat
- Chae, H.S. (National Livestock Research Institute Rural Development Administration) ;
- Singh, N.K. (Surgery Div., SKUAST-J) ;
- Yoo, Y.M. (National Livestock Research Institute Rural Development Administration) ;
- Ahn, C.N. (National Livestock Research Institute Rural Development Administration) ;
- Jeong, S.G. (National Livestock Research Institute Rural Development Administration) ;
- Ham, J.S. (National Livestock Research Institute Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, D.H. (National Livestock Research Institute Rural Development Administration)
- Received : 2006.06.10
- Accepted : 2006.10.09
- Published : 2007.04.01
The pale, soft, exudative (PSE) syndrome lowers storage quality and consumers acceptability in the particular meat. With the increase in the consumption of parted chickens in Korean meat consumption trade, a parallel increase in the concern over the PSE status of chickens have been noticed. The present study focused on the PSE status of broiler's breast to investigate the effects of different degrees of PSE on its quality and storage characteristics. A total of 46 broiler chickens of 35 days old averaging 1,251-1,350 g were selected for the study. Breast separated and skin was removed. The breast meat was stored at
- Barbut, S. 1993. Color measurements for evaluating the pale soft exudative (PSE) occurrence in turkey meat. Food Res. International. 26:39-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/0963-9969(93)90103-P
- Park, B.Y., J. H. Kim, S. H. Cho, K. H. Hah, S. H. Lee, C. H. Choi, D. H. Kim, J. M. Lee, Y. K. Kim, J. N. Ahn and I. H. Hwang. 2007. Evidence of significant effects of stunning and chilling methods on PSE incidences. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20(2):257-262.
- Jeon, T. I., S. G. Hwang, N. G. Park, Y. R. Jung, S. I. Shin, S. D. Choi and D. K. Park. 2003. Antioxidative effect of chitosan on chronic carbon tetrachloride induced hepatic injury in rats. Toxicol.187:67-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(03)00003-9
- Kristensen, L. and P. P. Purslow. 2001. The effect of ageing on the water- holding capacity of pork: role of cytoskeletal proteins. Meat Sci. 58:17-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00125-X
- McCurdy, R. D., S. Barbut and M. Quinton. 1996. Seasonal effect on pale soft exudative (PSE) occurrence in young turkey breast meat. Food Res. Internat. 29:363-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/0963-9969(96)00020-8
- Molette, C., H. Remignon and R. Babile. 2003. Maintaining muscles at a high post-mortem temperature induces PSE-like meat in turkey. Meat Sci. 63(2):525-532. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00114-6
- Park, B. Y., Y. M. Yoo, J. H. Kim, S. H. Cho, J. M. Lee and Y. K. Kim. 1998. Changes of meat qualities of vaccum package Hanwo beef loins during the prolonged storage at chilled temperature. RDA J. Livestock Sci. 40:135-139.
- Sante, V., G. Bielicki, M. Renerre and A. Lacourt. 1991. Post mortem evaluation in Pectoralis Superficialis muscle from two turkey breeds: a relationship between pH and colour. 37th Int. Congress Meat Science, Kulmbach, Germany. pp. 465-468.
- MAFF. 1999. Enforcement guide to EC Poultrymeat marketing standards regulations, UK
- Van der Wal, P. G., A. H. Bolink and G. S. M. Merkus. 1998. Differences in quality characteristics of normal, PSE and DFD pork. Meat Sci. 24:79-84.
- Van Hoof, J. 1979. Influence of ante-and peri-mortem factors on biochemical and physical characteristics of turkey breast muscle. Vet.Quat. 1:29-36. https://doi.org/10.1080/01652176.1979.9693718
- Warris, P. D. and S. L. Brown. 1987. The relationship between initial pH, reflectance and exudative in pig muscle. Meat Sci. 20:65-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(87)90051-9
- Wynveen, E. J., B. C. Bowker, A. L. Grant, B. P. Demos and D. E. Gerrard. 1999. Effect of muscle pH and chilling on development of PSE-like turkey breast meat. Br. Poul. Sci. 40:253-256. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669987674
- Barbut, S. 1997. Problem of pale soft exudative meat in broiler chickens. Br. Poul. Sci. 38:355-358. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669708418002
- Kamil, J. Y. V. A., Y. J. Jeon and F. Shahidi. 2002. Anioxidative activity of chitosans of different viscosity in cooked comminuted flesh of herring (Clupea harengus). Food Chem. 79:69-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(02)00180-2
- Warner, R. D., R. G. Kauffman and M. L. Greaser. 1997. Muscle protein changes post mortem in relation to pork quality traits. Meat Sci. 45(3):339-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00116-7
- Minelli, G., J. Culioli, X. Vignon and G. Monin. 1995. Postmortem change in the mechanical peoperties and ultrastructure of the Longissimuts in two porcine breeds. J. Mus. Food. 6:313-326. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1995.tb00577.x
- USDA. 1998. United States Classes, Standards and Grades for poultry.
- Hwang, I. H., B. Y. Park, J. H. Kim, S. H. Cho and J. M. Lee. 2004a. Assessment of postmortem proteolysis by gel-based proteome analysis and its relation to meat quality traits in pig longissimus. Meat Sci. 69:79-91.
- Rathgeber, B. M., J. A. Bole and P. J. Shand. 1999. Rapid postmortem decline and delayed chilling reduce quality of turkey breast meat. Poul. Sci. 78:477-484. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/78.3.477
- Bendall, J. R. and J. Wismer-Pedersen. 1962. Some properties of the myofibrillar proteins of normal and watery pork muscle. J. Food Sci. 27:144-159. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1962.tb00074.x
- Hwang, I. H., B. Y. Park, J. H. Kim, S. H. Cho, D. H. Kim and J. M. Lee. 2004b. Effects of postmortem pH/temperature decline on changes in free amino acids during ageing in pig longissimus muscle. In: Proceedings of 40th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology, Helsinki, Finand, pp. 125-126.
- Addis, P. B. 1986. Poultry muscle as food, in: (Ed. P. J. Bechtel) Muscle as food, pp. 371-404 (New York, Academic Press)
- Pearson, A. M., J. D. Love and F. B. Shorland. 1997. Warmed-over flavour in meat, poultry and fish. Advances in Food Research 23. Academic Press, New York. pp. 132-150.
- Lee, Y. B. and Y. I. Choi. 1999. PSE (pale, soft, exudative) pork: The causes and solutions - Review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12(2):244-252. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1999.244
- Witte, V. C., G. F. Krause and M. E. Bailey. 1970. A new extraction method for determing 2-thiobarbituric acid values of pork and beef during storage. J. Food Sci. 35:582-586. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1970.tb04815.x
- Owens, C. M., N. S. Matthews and A. R. Sams. 2000. The use of halothane gas to identify turkeys prone to developing pale, soft, exudative meat when transported before slaughter. Poult. Sci. 79:789-795. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.5.789
- SAS. 1997. Applied statistics and the SAS programming language. SAS Institute INC, Cary, NC, USA.
- Fernandez, X., A. Forslid and E. Tornberg. 1994a. The effect of postmortem temperature on the development of pale, soft, exudative pork: interaction with ultimate pH. Meat Sci. 37:133-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90150-3
- Takasaka, W. K. 1975. Determination of freshness in meat. The Food Industry, Japan. 18:105-108.
- Toldra, F. and M. Flores. 2000. The use of muscle enzymes as predictors of pork meat quality. Food Chem. 69:387-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(00)00052-2
- Barbut, S. 1996. Estimates and detection of the PSE problem in young turkey breast meat. Can. J Anim. Sci. 76:455-457. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas96-066
- Hahn, G., M. Malenica, W. D. Muller, E. Taubert and T. Petrack. 2001. Influence of postmortal glycolysis on meat quality and technological properties of turkey breast. In: (Ed. R. W. A. Mulden and S. F. Bilgili). Proceedings XV European Symposium on the Quality of Poultry Meat (pp. 325-328), 9- 12 September 2001, Kusadasi, Turkey. Izmin, Turkey: WPSA Turkish Branch.
- McKee, S. R. and A. R. Sams. 1997. The effect of seasonal heat stress on rigor development and the incidence of pale, soft, exudative turkey meat. Poult. Sci. 76:1616-1620. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.11.1616
- McKee, S. R. and A. R. Sams. 1998. Rigor mortis development at elevated temperatures induces pale soft exudative turkey meat characteristics. Poult. Sci. 77:169-174. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/77.1.169
- Van Laack, R. L. J. M. and J. L. Lane. 2000. Denaturation of myofibrillar proteins from chicken as affected by pH, temperature, and adenosine triphosphate concentration. Poul. Sci. 79:105-109. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.1.105
- Chae, H. S., C. N. Ahn, Y. M. Yoo, J. S. Ham, S. G. Jeong, J. M. Lee and Y. I. Choi. 2005. Effect of bleeding time on meat quality and shelf-life of broiler. Kor. J. Poul. Sci. 32(3):187-193.
- Boles, J. A., J. Parrish, T. W. Huiatt and R. M. Robson. 1992. Effect of porcine stress syndrome on the solubility and degradation of myofibrillar/cytoskeletal proteins. J. Anim. Sci. 70:454-464. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.702454x
- Simpson, M. D. and T. L. Goodwin. 1975. Tenderness of broilers as affected by processing plants and seasons of the year. Poult. Sci. 54:275-279. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0540275
- Barbut, S. 1998. Estimating the magnitude of the PSE problem in Poultry. J. Mus. Foods 9:35-49. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1998.tb00642.x
- Fernandez, X., J. Culioli and R. Gueblez. 1994b. Relationship between rate of post mortem pH fall and ageing of longissimus muscle in Pie-train pigs. J. Sci. Food Agric.65:215-222. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740650215
- Froning, G. W., A. S. Babji and F. B. Mather. 1978. The effect of preslaughter temperature, stress, struggle and anaesthetisation on colour and textural characteristics of turkey muscles. Poult. Sci. 57:630-633. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0570630
- Enteritidis in Chicken Juice by Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction vol.15, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1089/fpd.2017.2392