- Volume 20 Issue 5
To study the effect of dietary docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) enrichment on the expression of hepatic genes in pigs, weaned, crossbred pigs (30 d old) were fed diets supplemented with either 2% tallow or DHA oil for 18 d. Hepatic mRNA was extracted. Suppression subtractive hybridization was used to explore the hepatic genes that were specifically regulated by dietary DHA enrichment. After subtraction, we observed 288 cDNA fragments differentially expressed in livers from pigs fed either 2% DHA oil or 2% tallow for 18 d. After differential screening, 7 genes were found to be differentially expressed. Serum amyloid A protein 2 (SAA2) was further investigated because of its role in lipid metabolism. Northern analysis indicated that hepatic SAA2 was upregulated by dietary DHA enrichment (p<0.05). In a second experiment, feeding 10% DHA oil for 2d significantly increased the expression of SAA2 (compared to the 10% tallow group; p<0.05). The porcine SAA2 full length cDNA sequence was cloned and the sequence was compared to the human and mouse sequences. The homology of the SAA2 amino acid sequence between pig and human was 73% and between pig and mouse was 62%. There was a considerable difference in SAA2 sequences among these species. Of particular note was a deletion of 8 amino acids, in the pig compared to the human. This fragment is a specific characteristic for the SAA subtype that involved in acute inflammation reaction. Similar to human and mouse, porcine SAA2 was highly expressed in the liver of pigs. It was not detectable in the skeletal muscle, heart muscle, spleen, kidney, lung, and adipose tissue. These data suggest that SAA2 may be involved in mediation of the function of dietary DHA in the liver of the pig, however, the mechanism is not yet clear.
Dietary Docosahexaenoic Acid;Pigs;Serum Amyloid A Protein;Porcine Liver;Hepatic Genes
- Brandt, J. M., F. Djouadi and D. P. Kelly. 1998. Fatty acids activate transcription of the muscle carnitine palmitoyltransferase i gene in cardiac myocytes via the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha. J. Biol. Chem. 273:23786-23792. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.273.37.23786
- Chomczynski, P. and N. Sacchi. 1987. Single-step method of rna isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal. Biochem. 162:156-159.
- Ding, S. T., A. Lapillonne, W. C. Heird and H. J. Mersmann. 2003. Dietary fat has minimal effects on fatty acid metabolism transcript concentrations in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 81:423-431. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.812423x
- Ding, S. T., B. H. Liu and Y. H. Ko. 2004. Cloning and expression of porcine adiponectin and adiponectin receptor 1 and 2 genes in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3162-3174. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.82113162x
- Husby, G., G. Marhaug, B. Dowton, K. Sletten and J. D. Sipe. 1994. Serum amyloid a (saa): Biochemistry, genetics and the pathogenesis of aa amyloidosis. Amyloid: Int. J. Exp. Clin. Invest 1:119-137.
- Jones, B. H. 1996. Adipose tissue stearoyl-coa desaturase mrna is increased by obesity and decreased by polyunsaturated fatty acids. Am. J. Physiol. 271:E44-49.
- Kim, H. J., M. Takahashi and O. Ezaki. 1999. Fish oil feeding decreases mature sterol regulatory element-binding protein 1 (srebp-1) by down-regulation of srebp-1c mrna in mouse liver. A possible mechanism for down-regulation of lipogenic enzyme mrnas. J. Biol. Chem. 274:25892-25898. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.274.36.25892
- Lowell, C. A., D. A. Potter, R. S. Stearman and J. F. Morrow. 1986. Structure of the murine serum amyloid a gene family. Gene conversion. J. Biol. Chem. 261:8442-8452.
- Rambjor, G. S., A. I. Walen, S. L. Windsor and W. S. Harris. 1996. Eicosapentaenoic acid is primarily responsible for hypotriglyceridemic effect of fish oil in humans. Lipids 31 Suppl: S45-49. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02637050
- Schreiber, B. M. 1999. Apolipoprotein serum amyloid a downregulates smooth-muscle cell lipid biosynthesis. Biochem. J. 344:7-13. https://doi.org/10.1042/0264-6021:3440007
- Shimano, H. 2001. Sterol regulatory element-binding proteins (SREBPs): Transcriptional regulators of lipid synthetic genes. Prog. Lipid Res. 40:439-452. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0163-7827(01)00010-8
- Suresh, Y. and U. N. Das. 2003. Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and chemically induced diabetes mellitus. Effect of omega-3 fatty acids. Nutr. 19:213-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(02)00855-9
- Yang, C. C., H. S. Chang, C. J. Lin, C. C. Hsu, J. I. Cheng, L. Hwu and W. T. K. Cheng. 2004. Cock spermatozoa serve as the gene vector for generation of transgenic chicken (Gallus gallus). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:885-891. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.885
- Meek, R. L. and E. P. Benditt. 1986. Amyloid a gene family expression in different mouse tissues. J. Exp. Med. 164:2006-2017. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.164.6.2006
- Storlien, L. H., A. J. Hulbert and P. L. Else. 1998. Polyunsaturated fatty acids, membrane function and metabolic diseases such as diabetes and obesity. Curr. Opin. Clin. Nutr. Metab. Care 1:559-563. https://doi.org/10.1097/00075197-199811000-00014
- Wang, P. H., B. H. Liu, Y. H. Ko, Y. C. Li and S. T. Ding. 2004. The expression of porcine adiponectin and stearoyl coenzyme A desaturase genes in differentiating adipocytes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:588-593. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.588
- Liu, B. H., Y. C. Wong, W. M. Cheng, T. F. Shen and S. T. Ding. 2005. The effects of docosahexaenoic acid oil and soybean oil on the expression of lipid metabolism related mrna in pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1451-1456. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1451
- Urieli-Shoval, S., P. Cohen, S. Eisenberg and Y. Matzner. 1998. Widespread expression of serum amyloid a in histologically normal human tissues. Predominant localization to the epithelium. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 46:1377-1384. https://doi.org/10.1177/002215549804601206
- Rose, D. P. 1997. Effects of dietary fatty acids on breast and prostate cancers: Evidence from in vitro experiments and animal studies. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 66:1513S-1522S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/66.6.1513S
- Wang, H. C., Y. W. Ko, H. J. Mersmann, C. L. Chen and S. T. Ding. 2006. The expression of genes related to adipocytes in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 84:1059-1066. https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.8451059x
- Cheng, C. H., B. R. Ou, T. F. Shen and S. T. Ding. 2006. Effects of dietary algal docosahexaenoic acid oil supplementation on fatty acid deposition and gene expression in laying Tsaiya ducks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1047-1053. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1047
- Whitehead, A. S. 1992. Identification of novel members of the serum amyloid a protein superfamily as constitutive apolipoproteins of high density lipoprotein. J. Biol. Chem. 267:3862-3867.
- Harris, W. S. 1997. Influence of n-3 fatty acid supplementation on the endogenous activities of plasma lipases. Am. J. Clin. Nutr 66:254-260. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/66.2.254
- Hsu, J. M., P. H. Wang, B. H. Liu and S. T. Ding. 2004. The effect of dietary docosahexaenoic acid on the expression of porcine lipid metabolism-related genes. J. Anim. Sci. 82:683-689. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.823683x
- Steinmetz, A., G. Hocke, R. Saile, P. Puchois and J. C. Fruchart. 1989. Influence of serum amyloid a on cholesterol esterification in human plasma. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1006:173-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-2760(89)90192-6
- Steel, D. M. 1993. A constitutively expressed serum amyloid a protein gene (saa4) is closely linked to, and shares structural similarities with, an acute-phase serum amyloid a protein gene (saa2). Genom. 16:447-454. https://doi.org/10.1006/geno.1993.1209
- van der Westhuyzen, D. R., L. Cai, M. C. de Beer and F. C. de Beer. 2005. Serum amyloid a promotes cholesterol efflux mediated by scavenger receptor b-i. J. Biol. Chem. 280:35890-35895. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M505685200
- Xu, J., M. T. Nakamura, H. P. Cho and S. D. Clarke. 1999. Sterol regulatory element binding protein-1 expression is suppressed by dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids. A mechanism for the coordinate suppression of lipogenic genes by polyunsaturated fats. J. Biol. Chem. 274:23577-23583. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.274.33.23577
- Brown, M. S. and J. L. Goldstein. 1997. The srebp pathway: Regulation of cholesterol metabolism by proteolysis of a membrane-bound transcription factor. Cell 89:331-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(00)80213-5
- de Beer, M. C. 1995. Characterization of constitutive human serum amyloid a protein (saa4) as an apolipoprotein. J. Lipid Res. 36:526-534.
- Xu, J., M. Teran-Garcia, J. H. Park, M. T. Nakamura and S. D. Clarke. 2001. Polyunsaturated fatty acids suppress hepatic sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1 expression by accelerating transcript decay. J. Biol. Chem. 276:9800-9807. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M008973200
- Sjoholm, K. 2005. A microarray search for genes predominantly expressed in human omental adipocytes: Adipose tissue as a major production site of serum amyloid a. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 90:2233-2239. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2004-1830
- Liang, J. S. 1996. Amino terminal region of acute phase, but not constitutive, serum amyloid a (aposaa) specifically binds and transports cholesterol into aortic smooth muscle and hepg2 cells. J. Lipid Res. 37:2109-2116.
- Ramadori, G., J. D. Sipe and H. R. Colten. 1985. Expression and regulation of the murine serum amyloid a (saa) gene in extrahepatic sites. J. Immunol. 135:3645-3647.
- Liang, J. S. and J. D. Sipe. 1995. Recombinant human serum amyloid a (aposaap) binds cholesterol and modulates cholesterol flux. J. Lipid Res. 36:37-46.
- Docosahexaenoic Acid Enhances Hepatic Serum Amyloid A Expression via Protein Kinase A-dependent Mechanism vol.284, pp.47, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M109.024661
- Organization and Biology of the Porcine Serum Amyloid A (SAA) Gene Cluster: Isoform Specific Responses to Bacterial Infection vol.8, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0076695
- The Pig PeptideAtlas: A resource for systems biology in animal production and biomedicine vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/pmic.201500195
- Docosahexaenoic acid increases accumulation of adipocyte triacylglycerol through up-regulation of lipogenic gene expression in pigs vol.16, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12944-017-0428-3
- Serum Amyloid A Protein Regulates the Expression of Porcine Genes Related to Lipid Metabolism vol.138, pp.4, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/138.4.674
- Serum Amyloid A Induces Lipolysis by Downregulating Perilipin Through ERK1/2 and PKA Signaling Pathways vol.19, pp.12, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2011.176
- Role of n-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in Ameliorating the Obesity-Induced Metabolic Syndrome in Animal Models and Humans vol.17, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17101689