- Volume 20 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Gel Properties of Surimi-like Materials from Cardiac and Skeletal Muscle of Pigs
- Kang, Geun-Ho (Poultry Research Division, National Livestock Research Institute, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yang, Han-Sul (Division of Applied Life Science and Technology, Graduate School, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Jeong, Jin-Yeon (Division of Applied Life Science and Technology, Graduate School, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Moon, Sang-Hoon (Division of Applied Life Science and Technology, Graduate School, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Joo, Seon-Tea (Division of Applied Life Science and Technology, Graduate School, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Park, Gu-Boo (Division of Applied Life Science and Technology, Graduate School, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2006.06.09
- Accepted : 2006.10.16
- Published : 2007.08.01
To investigate the gel properties of surimi-like materials (SLM) made from pig heart (PH), psoas major muscle (PM) and semimembranosus muscle (SM) of pigs, the three muscles were diced, chopped and washed with 25 mM sodium phosphate buffer (pH 7.0) to extract myofibrillar protein. SLM from SM had significantly (p<0.05) higher moisture content and lower crude protein content compared with PH and PM samples. The cooked SLM from PH was darker than that from PM and SM. Gel from PH had significantly (p<0.05) lower L* and hue values, and higher b* and chroma values compared to gels from PM and SM. The cooked SLM from PH had poor water-holding capacity (WHC) resulting in higher cooking loss. SDS-PAGE showed that the bands of myosin and tropomyosin/troponin had reduced staining intensity in the PH sample, and some unidentified bands that were not in PM and SM samples were observed in PH samples.
Supported by : MOCIE
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Bourne, M. C. 1968. Texture profiling of ripening pears. J. Food Sci. 33:223-226. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1968.tb01354.x
- Dawson, P. L., B. W. Sheldon and H. R. Ball. 1989. Pilot-plant washing procedure to remove fat and color components from mechanically deboned chicken meat. Poult. Sci. 68:749-753. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0680749
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. H. Sloane-Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Chen, C. G., B. Gerelt, S. T. Jiang, T. Nishiurmi and A. Suzuki. 2006. Effects of high pressure on pH, water-binding capacity and texture properties of pork muscle gels containing various levels of sodium alginate. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1658-1664. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1658
- Lianji, M. and N. Chen. 1989. Research in improving the WHC (water holding capacity) of meat in sausage products. 35th Inter. Cong. Meat Sci. Technol. Copenhagen, Denmark. pp. 781-786.
- Lan, Y. H., J. Novakofski, R. H. McCusker, M. S. Brewer, T. R. Carr and F. K. McKeith. 1995. Thermal gelation properties of myofibrillar protein from pork, beef, fish, chicken and turkey muscles. J. Food Sci. 60:936-940, 945. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1995.tb06265.x
- Laemmli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227:680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Kenney, P. B., C. L. Kastner and D. H. Kropf. 1992. Muscle washing and raw material source affect quality and physicochemical properties of low-fat, restructured beef. J. Food Sci. 57(3):545-550. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb08039.x
- Kang, G. H., H. S. Yang, S. J. Joo and G. B. Park. 2004. Gel properties of surimi-like material from pre- or post-rigor porcine muscle. 50th Inter. Cong. Meat Sci. Technol. Helsinki, Finland.
- Park, S., M. S. Brewer, J. Novakofski, P. J. Bechtel and F. K. McKeith. 1996. Process and characteristics for a surimi-like material made from beef or pork. J. Food Sci. 61(2):422-427. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1996.tb14208.x
- McKeith, F. K., P. J. Bechtel, J. Novakofski, S. Park and J. S. Arnold. 1988. Characteristics of surimi-like material from beef, pork and beef by-products. Meat Sci. 34:325-326.
- Tsai, T. C. and H. W. Ockerman. 1981. Water binding measurement of meat. J. Food Sci. 46:697-707. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1981.tb15328.x
- Srinivasan, S. and Y. L. Xiong. 1996. Gelation of beef heart surimi as affected by antioxidants. J. Food Sci. 61(4):707-711. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1996.tb12186.x
- Xiong, Y. L. and C. J. Brekke. 1989. Changes in protein solubility and gelation properties of chicken myofibrils during storage. J. Food Sci. 54:1140-1146.
- Yang, T. S. and G. W. Froning. 1992. Selected washing processes affect thermal gelation properties and microstructure of mechanically deboned chicken meat. J. Food Sci. 57(2):325-329. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb05486.x
- Xiong, Y. L. 1997. Structure-function relationships of muscle proteins. In (Ed. S. Damodaran and A. Paraf), Food proteins and their applications (pp. 341-392). New York: Marcel Dekker Inc.
- Samejima, K., N. H. Lee, M. Ishioroshi and A. Asghar. 1992. Protein extractability and thermal gel formability of myofibrils isolated from skeletal and cardiac muscles at different postmortem periods. J. Sci. Food Agric. 58:385-393. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740580313
- SAS. 2001. The SAS program for PC. Release 8.11. Cary, NC: The SAS Institute, Inc.
- Paterson, B. C., F. C. Parrish, Jr and M. H. Stromer. 1988. Effects of salt and pyrophosphate on the physical and chemical properties of beef muscle. J. Food Sci. 53:1258-1265. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1988.tb09252.x
- Gornall, A. G., C. J. Bardawill and M. M. David. 1949. Determination of serum proteins by means of the biuret reaction. J. Biol. Chem. 177:751-766.
- Alternatives for Efficient and Sustainable Production of Surimi: A Review vol.8, pp.4, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2009.00087.x
- EFFECTS OF MUSCLE FIBER TYPES ON GEL PROPERTY OF SURIMI-LIKE MATERIALS FROM CHICKEN, PORK AND BEEF vol.21, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2009.00205.x
- ) and chicken mixture gels as affected by setting temperatures vol.21, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10942912.2018.1508155