- Volume 20 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Dietary Requirement of True Digestible Phosphorus and Total Calcium for Growing Pigs
- Ruan, Z. (The Key Laboratory of Food Science of Ministry of Education and Department of Food Science and Engineering Nanchang University) ;
- Zhang, Y.-G. (The Key Laboratory of Food Science of Ministry of Education and Department of Food Science and Engineering Nanchang University) ;
- Yin, Y.-L. (The Key Laboratory of Food Science of Ministry of Education and Department of Food Science and Engineering Nanchang University) ;
- Li, T.-J. (Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Health and Key Laboratory of Subtropical Agro-Ecology, Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, The Chinese Academy of Sciences) ;
- Huang, R.-L. (Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Health and Key Laboratory of Subtropical Agro-Ecology, Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, The Chinese Academy of Sciences) ;
- Kim, S.W. (Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University) ;
- Wu, G.Y. (Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Health and Key Laboratory of Subtropical Agro-Ecology, Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, The Chinese Academy of Sciences) ;
- Deng, Z.Y. (The Key Laboratory of Food Science of Ministry of Education and Department of Food Science and Engineering Nanchang University)
- Received : 2006.07.13
- Accepted : 2007.03.29
- Published : 2007.08.01
Sixty healthy growing pigs (
Calcium;Pigs;Growth;Biochemical Indices;True Digestible Phosphorus
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Cromwell, G. L., V. W. Hays, C. H. Chaney and J. R. Overfield. 1970. Effects of dietary phosphorus and calcium level on performance, bone mineralization and carcass characteristics of swine. J. Anim. Sci. 30:519-523. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1970.304519x
- Cromwell, G. L., V. W. Hays, C. W. Scheer and J. R. Overfield. 1972. Effects of dietary phosphorus and calcium level on performance and carcass, metacarpal and turbinate characteristics of swine. J. Anim. Sci. 34:746-750. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1972.345746x
- Cromwell, G. L. and R. D. Coffey. 1991. Mammalian small intestinal phytases (EC 220.127.116.11). Br. J. Nutr. 50:673-678. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19830138
- Combs, N. R., E. T. Kornegay, M. D. Lindemann, D. R. Notter, J. H. Wilson and J. P. Mason. 1991. Calcium and phosphorus requirement of swine from weaning to market weight: 2. Development of response curves for bone criteria and comparison of bending and shear bone testing. J. Anim. Sci. 69:682-693. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.692682x
- Correll, D. L. 1999. Phosphorus: a rate limiting nutrient in surface water. Poult. Sci. 78:674-682. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/78.5.674
- Chen, Y. L., O. S. Kwon, B. J. Min, K. S. Son, J. H. Cho, J. W. Hong and I. H. Kim. 2005. The effects of dietary biotite V supplementation as an alternative substance to antibiotics in growing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1642-1650. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1642
- Chen, Y. L., B. J. Min, J. H. Cho, O. S. Kwon, K. S. Son, H. J. Kim and I. H. Kim. 2006. Effects of dietary bacillus-based probiotic on growth performance, nutrients digestibility, blood characteristics and fecal noxious gas content in finishing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:587-592. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.587
- Combs, G. E., J. M. Vandepopuliere, H. D. Wallace and M. Koger. 1962. Phosphorus requirement of young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 21:3-10. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1962.2113
- Anderson, J. J. B. 1991. Nutritional biochemistry of calcium and phosphorus. J. Nutr. Biochem. 6:58-72-76.
- Agricultural Research Council (ARC). 1981. The Nutrient Requirements of Pigs. Slough, England: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux.
- Bayley, H. S. and R. G. Thomson. 1969. Phosphorus requirement of growing pigs and effect of steam pelleting on phosphorus availability. J. Anim. Sci. 28:484-490. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1969.284484x
- Abelson, P. H. 1999. A potential phosphate crisis. Sci. 283:2015. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.283.5410.2015
- Deng, D., Ai-Ke Li, W. Y. Chu, R. L. Huang, T. J. Li, X. F. Kong, Z. J. Liu, G. Y. Wu, Y. M. Zhang and Y. L. Yin. 2007b. Growth performance and metabolic responses in barrows fed lowprotein diets supplemented with essential amino acids. Livest. Sci. 109:224-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.104
- Kong, X.-F., G.-Y. Wu, Y.-L. Yin, H.-J. Liu, F.-G. Yin, T.-J. Li, R.- L. Huang, P. Kang, F.-F. Xing, M.-Z. Fan, C.-B. Yang and Q.- H. He 2007a. Dietary supplementation with Chinese herbal ultra-fine 3 powder enhances cellular and humorl immunity in early weaned piglets. Livest. Sci. 108:94-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.002
- Jonbloed, A. W., H. Everts and P. A. Kemme. 1991. Phosphorus availability and requirements in pigs. Pages 65-80 in Heinemann, eds. Recent advances in animal nutrition. Butterworth, London, UK.
- Jobgen, W. S., S. K. Fried, W. J. Fu, C. J. Meininger and G. Wu. 2006. Regulatory role for the arginine-nitric oxide pathway in metabolism of energy substrates. J. Nutr. Biochem. 17:571-588. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2005.12.001
- Huang, Rui-lin, Yin Yu-Long, Mei-xiang Li, Guo-yao Wu, Tie-jun Li, Li-li Li, Cheng-bo Yang, Jun Zhang, Bin Wang, Zhe-yuan Deng, Yong-gang Zhang, Zhi-ru Tang, Ping Kang and Yu-ming Guo. 2007. Dietary oligochitosan supplementation enhances immune status of broilers. J. Sci. Food Aric. 87:153-159. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2694
- Huang, R. -L., Y. -L. Yin, G. -Y. Wu, Y. -G. Zhang, T. -J. Li, L.-L. Li, M. -X. Li, Z. -R. Tang, J. Zhang, B. Wang, J.-H. He and X.- Z. Nie. 2005. Effect of Dietary Oligochitosan Supplementation on Ileal Digestibility of Nutrients and Performance in Broilers. Poult. Sci. 84:1383-1388. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.9.1383
- Fang, R.-J., T.-J. Li, K.-N. Wang, G.-Y Wu, D. Qi, J. H. He, Y.-L. Yin and M.- Z. Fan. 2007b. Additives of apparent and true phosphorus digestibilities in feed ingredients for growing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20(7):1092-1099. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.1092
- Harmon, B. G., J. Simon, D. E. Becher, A. H. Jensen and D. H. Baker. 1970. Effect of source and level of dietary phosphorus on structure and composition of turbinate and long bones. J. Anim. Sci. 30:742-750. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1970.305742x
- Fan, M. Z. and W. C. Sauer. 2002. Additivity of apparent ileal and fecal phosphorus digestibility values measured in single feed ingredients for growing-finishing pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 82:183-191. https://doi.org/10.4141/A01-072
- Fan, M. Z., T. J. Li, Y. L. Yin, R. J. Fang, Z. Y. Tang, Z. P. Hou, R. L. Huang, Z. Y. Deng, H. Y. Zhong, R. G. Zhang, J. Zhang, B. Wang and H. Schulze.2005. Effect of phytase supplementation with two levels of phosphorus diets on ileal and faecal digestibilities of nutrients and phosphorus, calcium, nitrogen and energy balances in growing pigs. Anim. Sci. 81:67-75.
- Fan, M. Z., T. Archbold, W.C. Sauer and D. Lackeyram. 2001. Novel methodology allows simultaneous measurement of true phosphorus digestibility and the gastrointestinal endogenous phosphorus outputs in studies with pigs. J. Nutr. 131:2388-2396. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/131.9.2388
- Lin, Y. C. and Z. Y. Jiang. 2002a. Study on dietary available phosphorus requirement of growing-finishing pigs. Swine Production (in Chinese). 4:1-7.
- Lin,Y. C., Z. Y. Jiang, Z. B. Zhang, G. H. Peng, L. Zhen and D. Q. Yu. 2002b. Study on dietary available phosphorus requirement of 4-9 kg weanling piglets. Swine Production (in Chinese). 1:13-14.
- Kong, X. F., G. Y. Wu, Y. P. Liao, Z. P. Hou, H. J. Liu, F. G. Yin, T. J. Li, R. L. Huang, Y. M. Zhang, D. Deng, P. Kang, R. X. Wang, Z. Y. Tang, C. B. Yang, Z. Y. Deng, H. Xiong, W.-Y. Chu, Z. Yuan, M. Y. Xie and Y. L. Yin. 2007b. Effects of Chinese herbal ultra-fine powder as a dietary additive on growth performance, serum metabolites and intestinal health in early-weaned piglets. Livest. Sci. 108:272-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.079
- Libal, G. W., E. R. Peo, Jr., R. P. Andrews and P. E. Vipperman, Jr. 1969. Levels of calcium phosphorus for growing-finishing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 28:331-336. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1969.283331x
- Reinhart, G. A. and D. C. Mahan. 1986. Effect of various calcium:phosphorus ratios at low and high dietary phosphorus for starter, grower and finishing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 63:457-466. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.632457x
- SAS Institute. 2000. The SAS system. SAS institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Pouslen, H. 2000. Phosphorus utilization and excretion in pig production. J. Environment Qualification. 29:24-27. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2000.29124x
- Naqvi, S. W. 2000. Increased marine production of N2O due to intensifying anoxia on the Indian continental shelf. Nature. 408:346-349. https://doi.org/10.1038/35042551
- National Research Council. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine, 10th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC., USA.
- Mallin, M. A. 2000. Impacts of industrial animal production on river and estuaries. Am. Scientist. 26-37. https://doi.org/10.1511/2000.1.26
- Miller, E. R., D. E. Ullrey, C. L. Zutaut, B. V. Baltzer, D. A. Schmidt, J. A. Hoefer and R. W. Luecke. 1964. Phosphorus requirement of the baby pig. J. Nutr. 82:34-40. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/82.1.34
- Wang, J. J., D. F. Li, L. J. Dangott and G. Wu. 2006. Proteomics and its role in nutrition research. J. Nutr. 136:1759-1762. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/136.7.1759
- Wang, F. L., M. F. Zhang, Q. M. Chen and M. Q. Xu. 2002. The effects of dietary phosphorus and calcium to phosphorus ratio on the activity of alkaline phosphatase and serum calcium and phosphorus in miniature-pigs (Xiang pig). Acta Zoonutrimenta Sinica. 13:36-42.
- Tang, Z. R., Y. L. Yin, C. M. Nyachoti, R. L. Huang, T. J. Li, C. B. Yang, X. J. Yang, J. S. Gong, J. Peng, D. S. Qi, J. J. Xing, Z. H. Sun and M. Z. Fan. 2005. Effect of dietary supplementation of chitosan and galacto-mannan- oligosaccharide on serum parameters and the insulin-like growth factor-I mRNA expression in early-weaned piglets. Dom. Anim. Endocrinol. 28:430-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2005.02.003
- Yin, Y.-L., Z.-Y. Deng and H.-L. Huang, T.-J. Li and H. Y. Zhong. 2004. The effect of arabinoxylanase and protease supplementation on nutritional value of diets containing wheat bran or rice bran in growing pig. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 13:445-461.
- Yin, Y. L. 2005. Applied techniques of regulating nitrogen and phosphorus metabolism in pigs and environmental safety. Annual Report of Institute of Subtropical Agricutlure, The Chinese Academy of Science, Changsha, Hunan, China.
- Yang, Cheng-bo, Ai-ke Li, Yu-long Yin, Rui-Lin Huang, Tie-jun Li, Li-li Li, Yi-ping Liao, Ze-yuan Deng, Hua-yi Zhong, Xiao-jian Yang and Ming-Z. Fan. 2005. Effects of dietary supplementation of cysteamine on growth performance, carcass quality, serum hormones and gastric ulcer in finishing pigs. J. Sci. Food Agric. 85:1047-1952.
- Yang, H., A. K. Li, Y. L. Yin, T. J. Li, Z. R. Wang, G. Wu, R. L. Huang, X. F. Kong, C. B. Yang, P. Kang, J. Deng, S. X. Wang, B. E. Tan, Q. Hu, F. F. Xing, X. Wu, Q. H. He, K. Yao, Z. J. Liu, Z. R. Tang, F. G. Yin, Z. Y. Deng, M. Y. Xie and M. Z. Fan. 2007. True phosphorus digestibility and the endogenous phosphorus outputs associated with brown rice for weanling pigs measured by the simple linear regression analysis technique. Anim. 1:213-220. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731107257945
- Shen, Y. R., M. Z. Fan, A. Ajakaiye and T. Archbold. 2002. Use of the regression analysis technique to determine the true phosphorus digestibility and the endogenous phosphorus output associated with corn in growing pigs. J. Nutr. 132:1199-1206. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.6.1199
- Wu, G. 1998. Intestinal mucosal amino acid catabolism. J. Nutr. 128:1249-1252. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/128.8.1249
- Fang, R. J., Y. L. Yin, K. N. Wang, J. H. He, Q. H. Chen, T. J. Li, M. Z. Fan, and G. Wu. 2007a. Comparison of the regression analysis technique and the substitution method for the determination of true phosphorus digestibility and faecal endogenous phosphorus losses associated with feed ingredients for growing pigs. Livest. Sci. 109:251-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.108
- Chapman, H. L., Jr. J. Kastelic, G. C. Ashton, V. W. Hays and V. C. Speer. 1962. Calcium and phosphorus requirement of growingfinishing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 21:112-119. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1962.211112x
- Deng, D, L. Huang, T. J. Li, G. Y. Wu, M. Y. Xie, Z. R. Tang, P. Kang, Y. M. Zhang, M. Z. Fan, X. F. Kong, Z. Ruan, H. Xiong, Z. Y. Deng and Y.-L. Yin. 2007a. Nitrogen balance in barrows fed low-protein diets supplemented with essential amino acids. Livest. Sci. 109:220-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.122
- Jongbloed, A. W., N. P. Lenis and Z. Mroz. 1997. Impact of nutrition on reduction of environmental pollution by pigs: an overview of recent research. Vet. Quart. 19:3, 130-134. https://doi.org/10.1080/01652176.1997.9694757
- O'Quinn, P. R., D. A. Knabe and E. J. Gregg. 1997. Digestible phosphorus needs of terminal-cross growing-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1308-1318. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.7551308x
- Níveis de fósforo digestível para suínos em fase de crescimento vol.41, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982012000200013
- The impact of phosphorus on the immune system and the intestinal microbiota with special focus on the pig vol.28, pp.01, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954422415000049
- Environmental Sustainability Analysis and Nutritional Strategies of Animal Production in China vol.5, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-animal-022516-022935
- A cooperative study on the standardized total-tract digestible phosphorus requirement of twenty-kilogram pigs1 vol.93, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-9509
- Supplementing l-leucine to a low-protein diet increases tissue protein synthesis in weanling pigs vol.39, pp.5, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-010-0612-5