- Volume 20 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
African Maternal Origin and Genetic Diversity of Chinese Domestic Donkeys
- Lei, Chu-Zhao ;
- Ge, Qing-Lan ;
- Zhang, Hu-Cai ;
- Liu, Ruo-Yu ;
- Zhang, Wei ;
- Jiang, Yong-Qing ;
- Dang, Rui-Hua ;
- Zheng, Hui-Ling ;
- Hou, Wen-Tong ;
- Chen, Hong
- Received : 2006.09.01
- Accepted : 2006.11.27
- Published : 2007.05.01
The origin of domestic donkeys in China has been controversial. To clarify the origin of Chinese domestic donkeys, we investigated the partial mitochondrial D-loop sequences of 126 samples from 12 native breeds. The results revealed two mitochondrial origins, lineage Somali and lineage Nubian of African wild ass detected in Chinese domestic donkeys. Lineage Somali was predominant in Chinese domestic donkey breeds. The pattern of genetic variation in ass mtDNA D-loop sequences indicated that the two lineages Somali and Nubian from China had undergone population expansion events. In a combined analysis of lineages Somali and Nubian between previously published sequences from other countries/regions and sequences of Chinese domestic donkeys, the results indicated that the two lineages of Chinese domestic donkeys were from Africa and supported the African maternal origins of Chinese domestic donkeys. There was no obvious geographical structure in Chinese domestic donkey breeds, but the population showed abundant mtDNA diversity. The spread routes of Chinese domestic donkeys were also discussed.
Chinese Domestic Donkeys;MtDNA Dloop;Origin
- Beja-Pereira, A. P., R. England, N. Ferrand, S. Jordan, A. O. Bakhiet, M. A. Abdalla, M. J. Mashkour, J. Jordana, P. Taberlet and G. Luikart. 2004. African origins of the domestic donkey. Sci. 304:1781. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1096008
- Lei, C. Z., H. Chen, G. S. Yang, W. B. Sun, X. Q. Lei, Q. L. Ge, Z. F. Wang, N. Lu, X. Gao and W. T. Hou. 2005. Study on mitochondrial DNA D-loop polymorphism in Chinese donkeys. Acta Genetica Sinica. 32(5):481-486.
- Donnelly, P., S. Tavare, D. J. Balding and R. C. Griffiths. 1996. Estimating the age of the common ancestor of men from the ZFY intron. Sci. 272:1357-1359. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.272.5266.1357
- Sasazaki, S., S. Odahara, C. Hiura, F. Mukai and H. Mannen. 2006. Mitochondrial DNA variation and genetic relationships in Japanese and Korean cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19(10):1394-1398. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1394
- Kumar, S., K. Tamura, I. B. Jakobsen and M. Nei. 2001. MEGA2: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis Software. Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA.
- Lopez, C., R. Alonso and A. Aluja. 2005. Study of the genetic origin of the Mexican Creole Donkey (Equus asinus) by means of the analysis of the D-Loop region of mitochondrial DNA. Trop. Anim. Heal. Prod. 37:173-188.
- Chen, S. Y., Y. H. Su, S. F. Wu, T. Sha and Y. P. Zhang. 2005. Mitochondrial diversity and phylogeographic structure Chinese domestic goats. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 37:804-814. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2005.06.014
- Troy, C. S., D. E. MacHugh, J. F. Balley, D. A. Magee, R. T. Loftus, P. Cunningham, A. T. Chamberlains, B. C. Sykes and D. G. Bradley. 2001. Genetic evidence for Near-Eastern origins of European cattle. Nature 410:1088-1091. https://doi.org/10.1038/35074088
- Ivankovic, A., T. Kavar, P. Caput, B. Mioc, V. Pavic and P. Dovc. 2002. Genetic diversity of three donkey populations in the Croatial region. Anim. Genet. 33:169-177. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.2002.00879.x
- Xie, C. X. 1987. Horse and ass breeds in China. Shanghai Scientific and Technical Publishing House, Shanghai, China.
- Liu, R. Y., C. Z. Lei, S. H. Liu and G. S. Yang. 2007. Genetic diversity and origin of Chinese domestic goats revealed by complete mtDNA D-loop sequence variation. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20(2):178-183
- Odahara, S. H., J. Chung, S. H. Choi, S. L. Yu, S. Sasazaki, H. Mannen, C. S. Park and J. H. Lee. 2006. Mitochondrial DNA diversity of Korean native goats. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19(4):482-485. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.482
- Aranguren-Mendez, J., A. Beja-Pereira, R. Avellanet, K. Dzama and J. Jordana. 2004. Mitochondrial DNA variation and genetic relationships in Spanish donkey breeds (Equus asinus). J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 121:319-330. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2004.00464.x
- Bandlet, H. J., P. Forster and A. Rohl. 1999. Median joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Mol. Biol. Evol. 16:37-48. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.molbev.a026036
- Thompson, J. D., T. J. Gibson, F. Plewniak, F. Jeanmougin and D. G. Higgins. 1997. The Clustal-X windows interface: Flexible strategies for multiple sequences alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Res.25:4876-4882 https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/25.24.4876
- Schneider, S., D. Roessli and L. Excoffier. 2000. Arlequin: A software for population genetic data analysis. Ver 2.000. Genetics and Biometry Laboratory, University of Geneva, Switzer land.
- Jeon, G. J., H. Y. Chung, J. G. Choi, M. S. Lee, C. W. Lee, J. J. Park, J. M. Ha, H. K. Lee and H. H. Sung. 2005. Relationship between genetic variants of mitochondrial DNA and growth traits in Hanwoo cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18(3):301-307. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.301
- Savolaninen, P., Y. P. Zhang, J. Luo, J. Lundeberg and T. Leitner. 2002. Genetic evidence for an East Asia origin of domestic dogs. Sci. 298:1610-1613. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1073906
- Cytochrome b Genetic Diversity and Maternal Origin of Chinese Domestic Donkey vol.48, pp.7-8, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10528-010-9345-0
- Phylogeography and Domestication of Chinese Swamp Buffalo vol.8, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0056552
- Ancient DNA provides new insight into the maternal lineages and domestication of Chinese donkeys vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12862-014-0246-4
- Genetic diversity and paternal origin of domestic donkeys vol.48, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/age.12607
Supported by : Northwest A&F University