- Volume 20 Issue 11
The mouse myxovirus resistance protein 1 (Mx1) is known to be sufficient to confer resistance to influenza viruses, and the gene encoding Mx1 is, therefore, an interesting candidate gene for disease resistance in farm animals. The porcine Mx1 gene has already been identified and characterized based on its homology with mouse Mx1; the full-length coding region of the pig Mx1 gene spans 2,545 bp (M65087) and is organized into 17 exons compared with the human ortholog mRNA. In this study, the exons 9, 10 and 11 and introns 6 and 9 of the porcine Mx1 gene were cloned and sequenced. Two SNPs were identified in exons 9, 10 and 11 but none of the SNPs led to an amino acid exchange, and the other eleven variants were detected in introns 6 and 9, respectively. Differences in allele frequency between Meishan and other pig breeds were observed within intron 6, of which an
Pigs;Mx1 Gene;SnaBI Locus;Immunity Traits
- Gordien, E., O. Rosmorduc, C. Peltekian, F. Garreau, C. Brechot and D. Kremsdorf. 2001. Inhibition of hepatitis B virus replication by the interferon-inducible MxA protein. J. Virol. 75:2684-2691. https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.75.6.2684-2691.2001
- Haller, O., M. Frese and G. Kochs. 1998. Mx proteins: mediators of innate resistance to RNA viruses. Rev. Sci. Technical. 17:220-230. https://doi.org/10.20506/rst.17.1.1084
- Chieux, V., W. Chehadeh, J. Harvey, O. Haller, P. Wattre and D. Hober. 2001. Inhibition of coxsackievirus B4 replication in stably transfected cells expressing human MxA protein. Virol. 283:84-92. https://doi.org/10.1006/viro.2001.0877
- Wang, W. J., K. H. Ouyang, X. F. Su, M. S. Xu and X. C. Shangguan. 2006. Polymorphism of insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor gene in 12 pig breeds and its relationship with pig performance traits. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19(11):1541-1545. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1541
- Xiong, Y. Z. and C. Y. Deng. 1999. Principle and Method of Swine Testing. Chinese Agriculture Press, Beijing.
- Zhang, F. W., H. C. Cheng, C. Y. Deng, Y. Z. Xiong, F. E. Li and M. G. Lei. 2006. cDNA cloning, tissue expression and association of porcine pleiomorphic adenoma gene-like 1(PLAG1) gene with carcass traits. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19(9):1257-1261. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1257
- Shimizu, M., I. C. Pan and W. R. Hess. 1977. Celluar immunity demonstrated in pigs infected with African fever virus. Am. J. Veter. Res. 38:27-33.
- Staeheli, P., F. Pitossi and J. Pavlovic. 1999. Mx proteins: GTPases with antiviral activity. Trends Cell Biol 3:268-272.
- Liu, B. H. 1998. Statistical Genomics: Linkage, Mapping and QTL Analysis. CRC Press, LLC. 404-409.
- Nakayama, M., K. Nagata, A. Kato and A. Ishihama. 1991. Interferon-inducible mouse Mx1 protein that confers resistance to influenza virus is GTPase. J. Biol. Chem. 266:21404-21408.
- Obar, R. A., C. A. Collins, J. A. Hammarback, H. S. Shpetner and R. B. Vallee. 1990. Molecular cloning of the microtubuleassociated mechanochemical enzyme dynamin reveals homology with a new family of GTP-binding proteins. Nature 347:256-261. https://doi.org/10.1038/347256a0
- Rothman, J. H., C. K. Raymond, T. Gilbert, P. J. O'Hara and T. H. Stevens. 1990. A putative GTP binding protein homologous to interferon-inducible Mx proteins performs an essential function in yeast protein sorting. Cell 61:1063-1074. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(90)90070-U
- Horisberger, M. A., G. K. McMaster, H. Zeller, M. G. Wathelet, J. Dellis and J. Content. 1990. Cloning and sequence analyses of cDNAs for interferon- and virus-induced human Mx proteins reveal that they contain putative guanine nucleotide-binding sites: functional study of the corresponding gene promoter. J. Virol. 64:1171-1181.
- Horisberger, M. A., P. Staeheli and O. Haller. 1983. Interferon induces a unique protein in mouse cells bearing a gene for resistance to influenza virus. Proc. Nati. Acad. Sci. USA. 80:1910-1914. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.80.7.1910
- Landis, H., A. Simon-Jodicke, A. Klati, C. Di Paolo, J. Schnorr, S. Schneider-Schaulies, H. P. Hefti and J. Pavlovic. 1998. Human MxA protein confers resistance to Semliki forest virus and inhibits the amplification of a Semliki forest virus-based replicon in the absence of viral structural proteins. J. Virol. 72:1516-1522.
- Zhang, Z. B., M. G. Lei, C. Y. Deng, Y. ZH. Xiong, B. Zuo and F. E. Li. 2005. Lipoprotein lipase gene and productive traits in pig resource family. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:458-462. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.458
- Morozumi, T., C. Sumantri, E. Nakajima, E. Kobayashi, A. Asano, T. Oishi, T. Mitsuhashi, T. Watanabe and N. Hamasima. 2001. Three types of polymorphisms in exon 14 in porcine Mx1 gene. Biochem. Genet. 39:251-260. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010230715605
- Wang, T., C. Liu, Y. ZH. Xiong, C. Y. Deng, B. Zuo, H. T. Xie and D. Q. Xu. 2007. Isolation and cloning of porcine SLC27A2 gene and detection of its polymorphism asscciated with growth and carcass traits. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20(8):1169-1173. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.1169
- Arnheiter, H., S. Skuntz, M. Noteborn, S. Chang and E. Meier. 1990. Transgenic mice with intracellular immunity to influenza virus. Cell 62:51-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(90)90239-B
- Staeheli, P., O. Haller, W. Boll, J. Lindenmann and C. Weissmann. 1986. Mx protein: constitutive expression in 3T3 cells transformed with cloned Mx cDNA confers selective resistance to influenza virus. Cell 44:147-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(86)90493-9