- Volume 20 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effects of Nanocalcium Supplemented Milk on Bone Calcium Metabolism in Ovariectomized Rats
- Park, H.S. (Department of Food Science and Technology, Sejong University) ;
- Jeon, B.J. (Department of Food Science and Technology, Sejong University) ;
- Ahn, J. (Department of Food Science and Technology, Sejong University) ;
- Kwak, H.S. (Department of Food Science and Technology, Sejong University)
- Received : 2006.10.09
- Accepted : 2007.03.19
- Published : 2007.08.01
This study examined effects of calcium supplemented milk on bone loss in ovariectomized rats. Twenty four Sprague-Dawley female rats, 7 weeks-old, were divided into 4 groups, ovariectomized and fed diets containing: 1) control, no Ca supplemented milk, 2) ovx 1, Ca carbonate supplemented milk, 3) ovx 2, ionized Ca supplemented milk, and 4) ovx 3, nano Ca supplemented milk. All rats were fed 1 ml of milk containing 20 mg supplemented Ca. After 18 wk feeding, body weight gain and food efficiency ratio were significantly different between ovx 1 and ovx 3. Serum concentration of calcium and phosphorus were not different among groups. However, there was a significant difference in calcium content of dry femoral weight in ovx 3 compared with the control and ovx 2. In addition, femoral bone mineral density (
Supported by : NanoTechWorld
- Ishida, H., T. Uesugi, K. Hirai, T. Toda, H. Nukaya, K. Yokotsuka and K. Tsuji. 1998. Preventive effects of the plant isoflavones, daidzin and genistin on bone mineral density in estrogenand/ or dietary calcium-deficient rats. Bone 16:149-156.
- Kansal, V. K. and S. Chaudhary. 1982. Biological availability of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium from dairy products. Milchwissenschaft 37:261-263.
- SAS. 1985. User's Guide: Statistics, Version 5 Edition, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Shen, V., R. R. Birchman, R. Xu, R. Lindsay and D. W. Dempster. 1995. Short-term changes in histomorphometric and biochemical turnover markers and bone mineral density in estrogen- and/or dietary calcium-deficient rats. Bone 16:149-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/8756-3282(95)80026-M
- Poneros-Schneier, A. G. and J. W. Erdman Jr. 1982. Bioavailability of calcium from sesame seeds. Almond powder, whole wheat bread, spinach and nonfat dry milk in rats. J. Food Sci. 54:150-153. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb08589.x
- Rader, J. I., D. J. Baylink, M. R. Hughers, E. F. Safilian and M. R. Haussler. 1979. Calcium and phosphorus deficiency in rats: Effects on PTH and 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D3. Am. J. Physiol. 236:E118-E122.
- Mortenson, L. and P. Charles. 1996. Bioavailability of calcium supplements and the effect of vitamin D. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 17:1663-1670.
- Tamaki, H., T. Akamine, N. Goshi, H. Kurata and T. Sakou. 1998. Effects of exercise raining and etidronate treatment on bone mineral density and trabecular bone in ovariectomized rats. Bone 23:147-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/S8756-3282(98)00075-1
- Thomas, M. L., D. J. Simmons, L. Kidder and M. Ibarra. 1991. Calcium metabolism and bone mineralization in female rats fed marginally sufficient in calcium: Effects of increased dietary calcium intake. Bone Miner. 12:1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-6009(91)90117-I
- Sissons, H. A., G. J. Kelman and G. Marotti. 1984. Mechanisms of bone formation, mineralization, and enhanced resorption in calcium-deficient rats. Am. J. Physiol. 225:269-276.
- Wong, N. P. and D. E. Lacroix. 1980. Biological availability of calcium in dairy products. Nutr. Rep. Int. 21: 673-680.
- Wong, K. M., L. Singer and R. H. Ophanug. 1980. Metabolic aspects of bone resorption in calcium-deficient lactating rats. Calcif. Tissue Int. 2:213-219.
- Toba, Y., M. Takada, M. Tanaka and S. Aoe. 1999. Comparison of the effects of milk components and calcium source on calcium bioavailability in growing male rats. Nutr. Res. 19:449-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(99)00013-5
- Asawa, Y., N. Amizuka, K. Hara, M. Kobayashi, M. Aita, M. Li, S. Kenmotsu, K. Oda, Y. Akiyama and H. Ozawa. 2004. Histochemical evaluation for the biological effect of menatetrenone on metaphyseal trabeculae of ovariectomized rats. Bone 35:870-880. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2004.06.007
- Bell, G. H., D. P. Cuthbertson and J. Orr. 1941. Strength and size of bone in relation to calcium intake. J. Physiol. 100:299-317. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1941.sp003944
- Arnaud, C. D. and S. Z. Sanchez. 1990. The role of calcium in osteoporosis. Annu. Rev. Nutr. 10:397-414. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.10.070190.002145
- Christiansen, C. 1992. Prevention and treatment of osteoporosis: A review of current modalities. Bone 13: S35-S39. https://doi.org/10.1016/S8756-3282(09)80008-2
Hirasawa, T. N., N. Omi and I. Ezawa. 2001. Effect of 1
$\alpha$- hydroxyvitamin D and egg-shell calcium on bone metabolism in ovariectomized osteoporotic model rats. J. Bone Miner. Metab. 19:84-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007740170045
- Dawson-Hughes, B. 1991. Calcium supplementation and bone loss: A review of controlled clinical trials. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 54:274S-280S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/54.1.274S
- Gallagher, J. C. 1993. Pathophysiology of osteoporosis. Semin. Nephrpl. 12:109-115.
- Shen, V., D. W. Demster, R. Birchman, R. Xu and R. Lindsay. 1993. Loss of cancellous bone mass and connectivity in ovariectomized rats can be restored by combined treatment with PTH and estradiol. J. Clin. Invest. 91:2479-2487. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI116483
- Tsuchiya, H., I. Sekiguchi and T. Kuwata. 1993. Comparison of the effects of whey mineral complexes on bone metabolism in male growing rats. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. 39:473-487. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.39.473
- Nordin, B. E. C., A. G. Need, M. Horowiz, H. A. Morris, T. C. Durbridge and D. B. Cleghorn. 1991. Ostroporosis and calcium. Aust. NZ J. Med. 21:275-279. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-5994.1991.tb00457.x
- Chen, K. L., M. H. Chang, S. M. Tsay, H. Y. Hurng and P. W. S. Chiou. 2006. Effects of caponization on bone characeristics and histological structure in chickens. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:245-251.
- Li, L. L., Z. P. Hou, Y. L. Yin, Y. H. Liu, D. X. Hou, B. Zhang, G. Y. Wu, S. W. Kim, M. Z. Fan, C. B. Yang, X. F. Kong, Z. R. Tang, H. Z. Peng, D. Deng, Z. Y. Deng, M. Y. Xie, H. Xiong, P. Kang and S. X. Wang. 2007. Intramuscular administration of zinc metallothionein to preslaughter stressed pigs improves anti-oxidative status and pork quality. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:761-767. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.761
- Physicochemical, microbial, and sensory properties of yogurt supplemented with nanopowdered chitosan during storage vol.92, pp.12, 2009, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2520
- Antidiabetic activity of nanopowdered chitosan in db/db mice vol.19, pp.5, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-010-0178-8
- The physicochemical and sensory properties of milk supplemented with ascorbic acid-soluble nano-chitosan during storage vol.64, pp.1, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0307.2010.00630.x
- Bone mineral density in postmenopausal Chinese women treated with calcium fortification in soymilk and cow's milk vol.23, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-012-1895-z
- Comparison of Nanopowdered and Powdered Peanut Sprout-Added Yogurt on its Physicochemical and Sensory Properties during Storage vol.32, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.5.553
- Comparison of Nanopowdered and Powdered Ginseng-added Yogurt on Its Physicochemical and Sensory Properties during Storage vol.33, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.1.24
- Effect of Nanopowdered Peanut Sprouts on Physicochemical and Sensory Properties of Milk vol.33, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.1.9
- Effects of nanopowdered eggshell on postmenopausal osteoporosis: a rat study vol.23, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-014-0227-9
- Influence of nanopowdered peanut sprouts in collagen-induced arthritic mice vol.23, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-014-0283-1
- KARAKTERISASI FISIKOKIMIA NANOKALSIUM HASIL EKSTRAKSI TULANG IKAN NILA MENGGUNAKAN LARUTAN BASA DAN ASAM vol.25, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6066/jtip.2014.25.1.57
- The Preventive Effects of Nanopowdered Peanut Sprout-added Caciocavallo Cheese on Collagen-induced Arthritic Mice vol.34, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.1.49
- Physicochemical and Sensory Properties of Nanopowdered Chitosan-Added Maribo Cheese during Ripening vol.34, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.1.57
- Absorption and Bioavailability of Nano-Size Reduced Calcium Citrate Fortified Milk Powder in Ovariectomized and Ovariectomized-Osteoporosis Rats vol.63, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.5b01468
- Characteristics of milk tablets supplemented with nanopowdered eggshell or oyster shell vol.69, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0307.12268
- Calcium of Spirulina platensis has Higher Bioavailability than those of Calcium Carbonate and High-calcium Milk in Sprague Dawley Rats Fed with Vitamin D-deficient Diet vol.16, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2017.179.186
- Highly bioavailable nanocalcium from oyster shell for preventing osteoporosis in rats vol.68, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09637486.2017.1307948
- Calcium Supplement Derived from Gallus gallus domesticus Promotes BMP-2/RUNX2/SMAD5 and Suppresses TRAP/RANK Expression through MAPK Signaling Activation vol.9, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9050504
- Potential of Nanomaterial Applications in Dietary Supplements and Foods for Special Medical Purposes vol.9, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/nano9020296