- Volume 20 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Glycine Betaine on Pork Quality in Different Muscle Types
- Hur, Sun Jin (Division of Animal Science and Technology, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Yang, Han Sul (Division of Animal Science and Technology, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Park, Gu Boo (Division of Animal Science and Technology, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Joo, Seon Tea (Division of Animal Science and Technology, Gyeongsang National University)
- 투고 : 2006.12.27
- 심사 : 2007.05.22
- 발행 : 2007.11.01
This study was conducted to determine the effects of dietary glycine betaine on pork quality in different muscle types. A total of 80 female pigs (
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
- Biswas, S., A. K. Das, R. Banerjee and N. Sharma. 2007. Effect of electrical stimulation on quality of tenderstretched chevon sides. Meat Sci. 75:342-346.
- Cardogan, D. J., R. G. Campbell, D. Harrison and A. C. Edwards. 1993. The effects of betaine on the growth performance and carcass characteristics of female pigs. In: (Ed. E. S. Batterham) Manipulating Pig Production IV. p 219. Australasian Pig Science Association, Attwood, Victoria, Australia.
- Cross, H. R., R. L. West and T. R. Dutson. 1980. Comparison of methods for measuring sarcomere length in beef semiteninosus muscle. Meat Sci. 5:261-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(81)90016-4
- Cross, H. R., R. Leu and M. F. Miller. 1987. Scope of warmedover flavor and its importance to the meat industry. In Warmed-Over Flavor of Meat, p. 1-18, (Ed. A. J. St. Angel and M. E. Bailey). Academic Press. Inc., Orlando, FL.
- Feng, J., X. Liu, Y. Z. Wang and Z. R. Xu. 2006. Effects of betaine on performance, carcass characteristics and hepatic betainehomocysteine methyltransferase activity in finishing barrows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:402-405. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.402
- Fernandez-Figares, I., D. Wray-Cahen, N. C. Steele, R. G. Campbell, D. D. Hall, E. Virtanen and T. J. Caperna. 2002. Effect of dietary betaine on nutrient utilization and partitioning in the young growing feed-restricted pig. J. Anim. Sci. 80:421-428. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.802421x
- Fernandez, C., L. Gallego and C. J. Lopez-Bote. 1998. Effect of betaine on fat content in growing lambs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 73:329-338. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00143-6
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. H. Sloane-Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-507.
- Haydon, K. D., R. G. Campbell and T. J. Prince. 1995. Effect of dietary betaine additions and amino:calorie ratio on performance and carcass traits of finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 73(Suppl. 1), 83 (Abstr.).
- Honikel, K. O. 1987. The water binding of meat. Fleischwirtschaft. 67:1098-1102.
- Lawrence, B. V., A. P. Schincke, O. Adeola and K. Cera. 1995. Performance of pigs fed betaine from 60 to 110kg body weight. J. Anim. Sci. 73(Suppl. 1), 195(Abstr.).
- Lever, M., P. C. M. Sizeland, C. M. Frampton and S. T. Chambers. 2004. Short and long-term variation of plasma glycine betaine concentrations in humans. Clin. Biochem. 37:184-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2003.11.004
- Matthews, J. O., L. L. Southern, A. D. Higbie, M. A. Persica and T. D. Bidner. 2001. Effects of betaine on growth, carcass characteristics, pork quality, and plasma metabolites of finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 79:722-728. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.793722x
- Matthews, J. O., L. L. Southern, J. E. Pontif, A. D. Higbie and T. D. Bidner. 1998. Interactive effects of betaine, crude protein, and net energy in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2444-2455. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7692444x
- NAMP. 1997. The Meat Buyers Guide. 3rd ed. Natl. Assoc. Meat Purveyors, Reston, VA.
- Overland, M., K. A. Rorvik and A. Skrede. 1999. Effect of trimethylamine oxide and betaine in swine diet on growth performance, carcass characteristics, nutrient digestibility, and sensory quality of pork. J. Anim. Sci. 77:2143-2153. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7782143x
- SAS. 1996. SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 6.11, SAS Institute, Cary, NC. USA.
- Saunderson, C. L and J. MacKinley. 1990. Changes in bodyweight, composition and hepatic enzyme activities in response to dietary methionine, betaine and choline levels in growing chicks. Br. J. Nutr. 63:339-349. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19900120
- Schafer, A., K. Rosenvold, P. P. Purslow, H. J. Andersen and P. Henckel. 2002. Physiological and structural events post mortem of importance for drip loss in pork. Meat Sci. 61:355-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00205-4
- Smith, J. W., I. J. L. Nelssen, R. D. Goodband, M. D. Tokach, B. T. Richert, K. Q. Owen, J. R. Bergstrom and S. A. Blum. 1995. The effects of supplementing growing-finishing swine diets with betaine and(or) choline on growth and carcass characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 73(Suppl. 1), 83(Abstr.).
- Swan, J. E. and J. A. Boles. 2002. Processing characteristics of beef roasts made from high and normal pH bull inside rounds. Meat Sci. 62:399-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00028-1
- Yu, D. Y., Z. R. Xu and W. F. Li. 2004. Effects of betaine on growth performance and carcass characteristics in growing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1700-1704. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1700