- Volume 7 Issue 1
Most of embedded systems have been developed practically based on the PC platform equipped with Intel x86 CPU since it is able to reduce the total time for product development and improve the reliability of product by making use of a variety of solutions developed for a long time in the PC environment. Also, embedded systems based on PC-platform mainly use a high-capacity hard disk as data storage device for applications intending to store multimedia data. Recently, while the capacity of hard disk is increasing rapidly, the start-up ready time of hard disk is growing longer more than 30 seconds. The lengthened start-up ready time may delay the booting time of embedded system seriously, weighting users down with inconvenience. This paper proposes the refined system architecture and the dynamic IDE device probing method for fast booting of linux kernel in the embedded system based on PC platform with high-capacity hard disks, and the performance of proposed methods is evaluated and presented.
PC Platform;Linux Kernel;Fast Booting;Start-Up Ready Time;Dynamic IDE Device Probing
- 융희철，마진석，김선자，"UnuxBios를 이용한 X86 기반 엄베디드 시스템의 빠른 부팅 기법" 한국정보과학회 2003년 춘계학술발표대회 논문집， pp.160-162, 2003.
- T. R Bird, "Methods to Improve Bootup Time in Linux," Linux Symposium, 2004.
- http://tree.celinuxforumorg/CelfPubWIki/Bootup TirneReductionHowto
- http://www.storagereview.com/ guide_index.html
- C. J. Park, J. Y. Seo, S. H Bae, H J. Kim, S. H Kim, and B. S. Kim，"A low-cost memory architecture with NAND XIP for mobile embedded systems," Proc. of the 1st IEEE/ ACM/IFlP international conference on Hardware/ Software codesign and system, pp138-143, 2003.
- J. S. Lee, J. Y. Park, and S. S. Hong, "Memory Foot print Reduction with Quasi-Static Shared Libraries in MMU-less Ernbedded Systems," IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symcosium (RTAS), pp.24-33, 2006.
- D. P. Bovet and M Cesati, Understanding The Linux Kemel, 0 'Reilly, 2003.
- J. Corbet, A Rubini, and C. K Hartman, Linux Device Drivers,3rd-Ed., 0 'Reilly, 2001.