- Volume 43 Issue 3
This paper describes on the evaluation and management of work process in suction hopper dredger and grab bucket dredger as an application of a PC-based ECDIS system. The dynamic tracking of dredging bucket and the data logging of grab dredging information were performed by using the grab dredging vessel "Kunwoong G-18". The position and route tracking of the dredger moving toward the ocean dumping site of dredged material was performed by using the hopper dredging vessel "Samyang-7". The evaluation of wok process in the dredging field, for grab dredger, was continuously carried out on January to May, 2006, in Incheon Hang and for hopper dredger, on July to December, 2003, in Busan Hang, Korea. The dredging information, such as dredger's position, heading, dredging depth and route track which was individually time stamped during the dredging operation, was automatically processed in real-time on the ECDIS and displayed simultaneously on the S-57 ENC chart. From these results, we conclude that the ECDIS system can be applied as a tool in order to manage the work process during the dredging operation, and also in order to generate the factual record of the dredging activities that is sufficient for dredging inspector to accurately evaluate the contract performance even in the absence of a full-time onboard inspector.
- Darren, C., K. Kittaka and K. Soen, 1998. Reliable single frequency dual antenna processing system for marine dredging applications. www.novatel.ca/Documents/Waypoint/Reports/Reliable.pdf, 1 - 11
- IHC Systems BV, 2000. Dredge track presentation system(DTPS). 1 - 12
- Jung, K.W., 2006. Real-time monitoring of grab dredging operation using ECDIS. Master thesis, Pukyong National University, 6 - 13
- Lu, G., G. Lachapelle and M.E. Cannon, 1994. Performance analysis of a shipbome gyrocompass with a multi-antenna GPS system. IEEE PLANS 94, 1 - 7
- MECys, 2006. dredging management system operation manual. 1 - 158
- SAM Electronics GmbH, 2007. Dredger technology. 1 - 8